Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old Today, 07:43 AM   #11
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Default Re: National Records Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
Here is an idea, anybody that runs faster then the current national record gets torn down and if passed gets the record. This would put the fear back into passing a teardown and curb the cheating. If the record was at a minimum people would be scared and change to a class that does have a actual record which would make more heads up runs and get combos in line
This makes too much sense but would also take too much time. Back in the "good-old-days" many of the NHRA employees were "volunteers", Now because of government intervention they are all paid, hourly workers and NHRA doesn't want to afford them.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #12
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,356 Times in 857 Posts

Does a $20 to 25K stipend for16 Technical inspectors at Indy sound reasonable?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #13
JGrossijr

Liked 187 Times in 37 Posts

Agree with the poll question, but what's the point of being a record holder anymore? With AHFS in place, being a record holder doesn't necessarily indicate you're the fastest in class. There are more than 65 classes in stock and all but 11 are at minimum. There are more than 125 classes in Super Stock (Crazy) and all but 8 are at minimum. In my opinion, the ability to set records isn't as much of a problem as the penalty for going fast. The only way to take advantage of being fast, is to hide how fast a car is until it's needed in a heads-up race, and then only use what you need to get the job done. It's arguably not a whole lot different than throttle stop racing that so many of us abhor.

I think a better conversation would be how do we incentivize displays of performance capability in Stock & Super Stock.
Here are my suggestions.
  • Qualified fields at all national events. Raise the quotas and qualify 32, 64, or 128
  • Points for qualifying position
  • Pro ladder
  • Lane choice to higher qualifier
  • Points for setting records
  • Points for class round wins
  • Consolidate classes to create more heads-up racing
  • Some kind of award or special recognition for being #1 qualifier
  • Special race for top qualifier points earners
JGrossijr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #14
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,276 Times in 1,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrossijr View Post
The only way to take advantage of being fast, is to hide how fast a car is until it's needed in a heads-up race, and then only use what you need to get the job done.

I think a better conversation would be how do we incentivize displays of performance capability in Stock & Super Stock.
"The incentive" absolutely has to be there otherwise every Racer will eventually be running "junk" just like me. What "incentive" does NHRA give to Racers to NOT run "junk"? I DO understand the personal satisfaction thing. I've gotten over that.

As far as the "how fast a car is until it's needed" thing, I'm pretty sure that we (the Racers) all know who's fast and how fast they can go.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #15
DG

Liked 356 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrossijr View Post
Agree with the poll question, but what's the point of being a record holder anymore? With AHFS in place, being a record holder doesn't necessarily indicate you're the fastest in class. There are more than 65 classes in stock and all but 11 are at minimum. There are more than 125 classes in Super Stock (Crazy) and all but 8 are at minimum. In my opinion, the ability to set records isn't as much of a problem as the penalty for going fast. The only way to take advantage of being fast, is to hide how fast a car is until it's needed in a heads-up race, and then only use what you need to get the job done. It's arguably not a whole lot different than throttle stop racing that so many of us abhor.

Here are my suggestions.
  • Qualified fields at all national events. Raise the quotas and qualify 32, 64, or 128
  • Points for qualifying position
  • Pro ladder
  • Lane choice to higher qualifier
  • Points for setting records
  • Points for class round wins
  • Consolidate classes to create more heads-up racing
  • Some kind of award or special recognition for being #1 qualifier
  • Special race for top qualifier points earners

Agree, but would add that the AHFS needs to be corrected by only adding horsepower when a engine combination has an average in the data base more than 1 second under the index.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #16
VE6DRW

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

Agree - as long as they make two qualifying passes at the same event with the ETs within 1% of each other. On a representative fastest run of 10.00, that would be a 2nd run no slower than 10.10.