HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-03-2024, 01:13 PM   #11
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: The Compulink AUTO START System once armed to :ON

Once 3 bulbs are lite, there’s no reset if you back out or turn your front wheels.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-03-2024, 01:58 PM   #12
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

i was timed out in atlanta div 2… my competition turned on his stage light and i went in next and it blinked twice and i went in again and put the stage light on and i was timed out… my dad went to the official and asked him what happen and he said the time started as soon as i blinked the stage light the first time… 7 secs…
i was red lighted….
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:01 PM   #13
Dan Bennett

Liked 359 Times in 82 Posts

Obviously, some things have changed (definitely was 7 at the beginning) but Jeff explained it to me that 3 bulbs was the trigger - period. It would not reset if someone backed out or if there was flicker after that. Once the requirements were met it would run to completion. I don't know if that was a design choice or just a function of the components they used.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:44 PM   #14
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts

It was always 10 seconds for bracket/class racing/ handicap/sportsman tree.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-03-2024, 05:37 PM   #15
Cglrcng

Liked 135 Times in 71 Posts

So far, according to my research everyone is correct, and I thank everyone so far for the input, and really would like to see more of it. There are 3 different system coded setups.

1 for Pro's, 1 for Sportsman, and 1 for all the rest and it isn't a straight up set always the same guess able tree start or activation timing system. It is what makes tge system fair, and keeps drivers from guessing at the tree. It was designed to emulate the great Buster Couch and his variability in starting the tree, and attempting to keep the drivers from playing games. And I love it personally, no deep staging, starter has 1 control, he is no longer in the game beyond checking the track, making sure the track is clear and safe for the competitors (both those who just left, and those who are about to, and track personnel), then he (the starter), has the only choice, arm the tree, by flipping the Compulink Auto Start switch to :ON !! (that will appear at the bottom of our time slips.

At that point, everything is now in the hands of the 2 drivers competing in the race, and the variable timing system with few base rules ...Both must prestage to start the base and variable timers..
The system base start , Don't go deep, don't back out (roll or intentionally), it does not start the initial timer by a simple bulb flicker, both must be securely pre-Staged, then the third bulb, triggered on by either competitor lighting fully, starts the activation of a variable but set base timer (here is where the 3 differing types come in a quicker time period for Pros, a little more time for Sportsman, and even more time for all the rest, that just makes the other competitor not yet staged up do so or foul out due to them not doing so, and that time is set, then (many other things as far as rules that can allow both competitors to foul out, again, going deep, rolling back, leaving early, etc).

Either or both go deep they foul. Both staged, the tree is now fully armed for a variable, but fair start, that stops both from attempting to guess the light so to speak, as it may come down immediately, or in a few seconds. you don't know, the computer (once armed by the starter and that 3rd bulb is turned on...is in full control).

3 different things are going on 1. Starter in control of safety, then all clear switch flipped, (starter still in control
of emergency stop button only. But he has given his Go! Signal. 2. System is armed, now Competitors are both in charge, as both must prestage fully to start the base system timing (keeping the burn down staging games to a minimum), starter is still in control of the competitors at all times, but no longer really in control of tree start timing except that e-stop button (but he can concentrate on the competitors and the safety of a clear track), then at least 1 if the competitors or both, must move in to the fully staged position to activate the secondary timer and tree is activated,, if the other driver fails to stage within the given time they foul out triggering a red, but that is done by the computer that is in control as the starters go signal was done long ago.

If both drivers do their 1-2, 1-2 job, the tree is seamless, and as fair a start as you will ever expect or experience.

1. Both drivers know what to expect. We know the basic rules, forward motion always. It takes 2, no starter involved except stage commands, starter is just there for safety, not a part of the game. And best of all, the competitors have little chance to actually play games, and no time limits to pre-stage, but once the 3rd bulb is lit, better get in timely! And lastly, guessing is risky.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:03 PM   #16
Cglrcng

The when and why, according to my research the why...The 2008 Pro season saw a lot of Guessin starts at the tree, the system was a bit too reliable and some Pro's were watching the tree (a lot more than just pro drivers were), and it was just flat out too predictable and too easy to guess when those .4 tenths yellows would flash, Pro drivers in the top fuel ranks were leaving before the yellows even activated, and it was evident.

It wasn't even "NHRA" as a body that requested that something must be done. It was the NHRA Driver's Committee Input, and The masterminds at Compulink went to work coding after the 2008 season was over, and it Debuted in the first 3 National Events of the 2009 NHRA season. (And proved it's worth immediately as the first and second races of the season saw a few Red Lights from Top Fuel Guessers, and it surprised more than a few drivers, nobody was guessing by Gainsville, they were now leaving again on yellow).

It has evolved to a very fair, and reliable starting system.

Like I said earlier, as a returning driver, I love it, it is clean, it is reliable, and best of all it is fair in my opinion, no games, straight forward, a great evolution in the game.

You. Me, the starter for safety (but out of the game early, still in control of us), and the variable computer that is fair, we know what the fouls are in advance and best of all...We activate the tree by our actions. And most times it is seamless, until it isn't.

You, me, and the tree. Like a drag race should be, a fair start! (If we start playing guessing games, somebody is going home early). Best of all, our tyranny guys are replacing a lot fewer bands and clutches. What a side benefit!
Old 05-03-2024, 06:21 PM   #17
Cglrcng

Everyone in the thread so far is correct according to the following article from 2009, explaining how it all came about.

It only puts the drivers in control for a limited (and reasonable period of time, the key word is reasonable), period of time to set their own fate, to limit games
being played, and take it from guess twork, to repeating reasonable actions by drivers. Get in, or go red.

The game has certainly evolved. Computers are wonderful. It has sharpened drivers into some amazing .000 trip zip machines, worthy of the machines loaded down with electronic devices, and those of us still foot braking it, that we drive.

Better yet, nobody really cares about the guy flipping the switch (no quick tree), of The old days gone by long ago. If you ever raced at an outlaw track of the 70's-80's you would know what I was talking about (back then who you knew, could be better than what you knew!)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:24 PM   #18
Mike Volkman

Liked 492 Times in 47 Posts

So...I've had it happen and cant remember if it only happens on a solo run or not. I fully stage the car and the tree doesnt come down. Seems like eternity on the 2 step and several times backed completely out and other time tree came down when I left off throlttle. Was I staged before the starter activated the tree? Or is there something else going on? Can both cars stage without tree being activated?
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:57 PM   #19
Cglrcng

While I was not actively racing in 2008-2009 (I raced actively from 1975- early1997), then back again in 2023-).

I was actively watching that 2.5 decades, and remember when it went into effect and read, watched everything I could fully expected to return to the sport I love. Here is the article from 2009 explaining the changes.

https://competitionplus.com/featured...s-tree-routine

I made a mistake above, 3 different variations of the code are actually (Pro's, Pro Stock, and all the rest of us Sportsman), and each has minor reasonable slight timing differences, and all once the 3rd bulb actually activates the tree are slightly variable, to keep the guessing game to a minimum emulates human involvement (within reasonable tiny increments, without actually having a human involved beyond throwing the switch to arm the system to :ON!! Then no timers start till both pre-staged, then boom 1 driver will trigger it by lighting bulb 3. (Compter and last driver in hybrid control, but time is running to foul countdown), The Ghost of world famous Buster Couch RIP, is telling you get your butt in, stage already! Quit playing staging games.

Last edited by Cglrcng; 05-03-2024 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Addition, correction
Cglrcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:58 PM   #20
Cglrcng

This all boils down to 3 easy to follow steps now (and has since NHRA season start 2009).

1.Track is checked and cleared, Starter gives go signal to drivers to pre-stage and throws Compulink Auto Start switch to armed:On!!

2. Drivers both pre-stage.

3. First driver to stage turns on bulb 3, and activates the "reasonable" last to stage countdown timer, and activates the tree. The computer Sure Start timing system takes full control. (Though the starter always maintains control of competitors (hand signal commands, voice, etc....plus has E-stop control to override the computer in case of emergency, breakage, etc).

Fairness is assured. It is a very simple system, faster, more efficient, more fair, dang near flawless. And it has been in place now almost 15 years...

So, what is the problem and why did this old dumb geezer even bring it up?

I love the system, I will eventually go to my grave, and I don't think the system will be replaced with anything better I can think of, not a single thing need ever be done to the Compulink Sure Start System.

But there is 1 flaw in my opinion. And it isn't a hypothetical issue, it is a real issue. And it can, and should be fixed. It needs to be fixed soon in my opinion, and it really isn't hard to do.

And it does not concern the Compulink Sure Start System, but NHRA itself (who never asked for it, the drivers did), and NHRA allowed it, tried it, liked it, and installed it, made it a permanent part of the game we play...they allowed the sport to evolve,, and evolve much fairer..

Then, for nearly 15 years failed to update the rules reflecting "Race Proceedures." In the NHRA Rulebook.

What in heck is this idiot talking about....?