HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
PozQB14

Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: What Made NHRA Legitimate to the Racer

All good points Mike. We've been doing this for about 4-5 years but have seen what stock and super stock has become. In my opinion, its still the best form of drag racing on the planet. But, there has to be some type of integrity. Even if NHRA does "token spot checks" just to keep racers honest. Its not hard to check a carb part number or pull a valve cover to check a head casting. Those are quick and easy things things NHRA can do to at least show they are making an effort other than scales and fuel. There is a rabbit hole we can all go down which I'm going to do my best to stay away from regarding legality of some of these engines. Because at the end of the day, its still a bracket race. We've all seen 13-14 second cars beat 150k+ 8-9 second factory stockers. NHRA has basically turned a blind eye to all the stuff going on with these rocket ship engines that are being built, but I understand that it takes a dedicated team (which will cost money) that has the knowledge base to know what to look for and compare to "stock" parts. Also, Mike, if people start getting torn down and booted, how many cars do you think are going to show up to these events?
PozQB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,994 Times in 1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PozQB14 View Post
if people start getting torn down and booted, how many cars do you think are going to show up to these events?
Oh, plenty will show up.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #13
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,751 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Inc View Post
I'm not sure of the point being made. Are you saying that NHRA can't tech and create level playing fields because they are struggling to stay alive? Unsure of the connection.
I guess that I am hoping that this relaxation is temporary. I'm sure that the schedules that we see are being driven by finances. The daily overhead for NHRA has to be pretty substantial. It is my hope that things will settle down soon and things can go back to normal.

I carry gaskets with me to every race.....
GUMP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
Mike Volkman

Liked 492 Times in 47 Posts

Gump - it's not temporary. The AHFS hasn't been worth a hoot since at least 2008. Not sure that a phone call from the division Monday following the race wasn't more effective because you went fast - continually and had opponents covered by xx rather than a 1 time hit.

Other:

Tech went south when Bruce left. Bruce would tell you that he didn't like something and better have it fixed by next race.

AFHS group at NHRA has no one who is qualified in understanding/building/racing competitively in s/ss. Wesley, Dave, Travis, Bob are not a part of. New guy Lonnie is technical and on AHFS but hasn't been around s/ss racing. Does understand that two identical 350 engines, same Dart head with same runner volumes, one carb, one fi, and very close deck and cc specs should not be rated 400 pounds difference at a 10# weight break. Hope he is a fast learner and doesn't drink the cool-aid.

As far as NHRA struggling financially. I here this all the time and know they have sold off properties etc. Is this a result to improve the bottom line or is there an actual need that they and therefore we, are in a bad way?

Where is the transparency and communication?

Last edited by Mike Volkman; 08-21-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Mike Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #15
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 892 Times in 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
I guess that I am hoping that this relaxation is temporary. I'm sure that the schedules that we see are being driven by finances. The daily overhead for NHRA has to be pretty substantial. It is my hope that things will settle down soon and things can go back to normal.

I carry gaskets with me to every race.....
What was their excuse before Covid? This no tear down policy has been expanded every year since the mid 2000's. Remember when they always tore down at the All Stars? Show up with your head off ? Random tear downs at multiple National events, not just Indy. After those went away at least you still had the 30 cars or so at Indy. Then half that amount, then half that amount, then throttle body's only, now NOTHING....
NHRA has changed so much since we began. I remember thinking if I can just go a couple rounds, I will be running in front of my friends, as back in the day 2nd,3rd 4th rounds could very well be in the middle of the day, usually Saturday's. And that call you got from National Dragster after winning an event. And the nice article and personal things that came out in the articles. Remember the free coolers we all received when Powerade came on board? When you needed parts, just head for the Midway, or even if you needed a new ring and pinion installed ! I bought metering rods up there one year, how ridiculous does that sound now?
And those pesky payouts. Good God, what an embarrassment. I kept them to myself, as when I told people those payouts I would get those " Wow, your an idiot" .. looks. All us old guys remember the challenge to be #1 qualifier and receive enough money to pay your fuel bill to and from the event. I could go on and on. We all know the backsliding our (now your) association has gone through in the last 10 years.
All that is just icing on the cake, but without teardowns and policing you have no basic ingredients for the cake. End of story.... You then have bracket racing with unpoliced very expensive class cars..

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 08-20-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #16
Nick Heath

Liked 509 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
If you never raced Indy in class where you were covered by a tenth or played the game so you didn't line up with the fast guy you won't understand.
Michael, I think you've nailed every post in this thread. I do slightly disagree here. I don't think you even need to have raced Indy in class to understand. Someone walking through the pit area and staging lanes on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday of Indy, with their eyes open, could understand. They'd see the parade of cars with chillers, the small crowds pushing their cars from nearly US 136 all the way to the starting line, the pit area thrashings to change motors or adjust clutches or fit new slicks, the commotion around the teardown barn, the starting line celebrations when all those efforts result in a class victory.

But it's hard to witness and understand those things from a corporate office that's 2,116 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
What was their excuse before Covid? This no tear down policy has been expanded every year since the mid 2000's. Remember when they always tore down at the All Stars? Show up with your head off ? Random tear downs at multiple National events, not just Indy. Then at least you still had the 30 cars or so at Indy.Then half that amount, then half that amount, then throttle body's only, now NOTHING....
I certainly remember my dad getting "invited to a little party at the teardown barn," running ~.50 under the old indexes, at the Brainerd nationals, less than 2 years after setting the national record...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook_1629477935730_6834525823746305356.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	58318  
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #17
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,164 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
The tech people and other division personnel put in long hours, at slave wages, to support our sport. Inadequate mandates on staffing, enforcement, etc. hinder them from doing the stuff they want and know to do. thanks!
Would it kill the over paid upper echelon leadership to re-appropriate compensation capital to the compensation fund for these support teams?

I already know the answer to this rhetorical question but I put it out there to jog the senses of the dedicated class racers who want a level playing field.

Fund and staff the Technical Dept. with highly skilled and motivated professionals!

Last edited by Frank Castros; 08-20-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #18
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,660 Times in 509 Posts

I still enjoy racing super stock as much as i ever have. I really don’t get involved in the politics of what happens in NHRA. Could things be better. Yes they could. Could they be worse. Absolutely. I race a combo that can no way be competitive. Even the best engine builder would not be able to get my combo to the top of the Q sheet. I don’t and can’t spend the amount of money that some can. I understand that and race within my means.
In Division 2. We have a really good group of racers. The number is dwindling down for sure. I don’t think we have an actual tech director any more. We are lucky to have Dave and Gloria Ley that have adopted division 2 and are at almost all of our races doing tech, Scales and Gloria does the pairings at the lanes. They are awesome people and deserve a big thanks. We have a very young and inexperienced divisional director. Cody took over after our Rich Schaefer was let go. He has done a good job and makes good decisions with the events. I am not sure how much he understands our type of racing. I will keep doing this until it either doesn’t exist any more or my health won’t allow it.
I also want to thank Mike Volkman and Emily for what they do for us. They really are what this sport is all about.
In closing I don’t think it will ever go back to where it once was so we have to grin and bear it and try to continue to enjoy what we do

See y’all at the Rock in October.