Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: SS round two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotten View Post
No dq.
He lost because he broke out.

OK.......

Thanks, Mike.....

I will wait until I find out how NHRA is going to fix the first round race in Stock.......

In SS the correct car won that round (by accident) because of the break out.....

But in Stock the wrong car won because of the dial over, she was first or worst...

NHRA never ceases to amaze me….
Bob
Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 691 Times in 274 Posts

I know this is the thread for SS round but the question about what went wrong in stock was asked here.
1) If 1 car dialed slower then index on window then the driver should be dq'd and other car would be re-instated.
2) If car had correct dial under for class and scoreboard was wrong then the race winner is correct as winning car accepted wrong dial because other car red lighted.
The only way to know what was correct is by knowing what dial was written on window. Then the correct outcome of race can be determined.
Obviously the system does not have a fail safe for slower then index to show up on scoreboard. Its sad that it happened twice in 1 day, 1 event. Sounds like a human error in more then 1 way.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

A good reason to legibly write your dial in on the window. I`ve used a dial in board velcroed to the window for years to avoid any issues.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
MikeMoller

Liked 244 Times in 74 Posts

Rule book doesn't address a 'dial-over' situation. Since both incorrect dials were caused by the tower I guess it is a valid race, the standard rules apply. So stock race result was decided by a foul and SS by breakout (worst). Seems NHRA should amend the rules to include a competitor posting a 'dial-over'.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #15
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,217 Times in 1,613 Posts

Ya know, you're right! I just looked through a 2015 Rule Book and nowhere did it say that you HAVE to dial the index or below! It only says it's BASED on an index system and that you CAN dial below it. It doesn't say that you CAN'T dial above!

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Bryan Worner

Liked 417 Times in 68 Posts

Soooooo, lets say he sees the mistake on the board on his way down track, slams on the brakes and runs 11.300. What happens then???? Would there be a rerun because someone in the tower screwed up his dial with an "illegal" dial? I would love to hear that answer!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Bryan Worner

Liked 417 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
I know this is the thread for SS round but the question about what went wrong in stock was asked here.
1) If 1 car dialed slower then index on window then the driver should be dq'd and other car would be re-instated.
2) If car had correct dial under for class and scoreboard was wrong then the race winner is correct as winning car accepted wrong dial because other car red lighted.
The only way to know what was correct is by knowing what dial was written on window. Then the correct outcome of race can be determined.
Obviously the system does not have a fail safe for slower then index to show up on scoreboard. Its sad that it happened twice in 1 day, 1 event. Sounds like a human error in more then 1 way.
That's what I was thinking! Shouldn't the dial in be blinking red if its above the class index????
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
Soooooo, lets say he sees the mistake on the board on his way down track, slams on the brakes and runs 11.300. What happens then???? Would there be a rerun because someone in the tower screwed up his dial with an "illegal" dial? I would love to hear that answer!
I don't have a rule book to look at but I feel that you have to dial index or faster. As long as car was dialed correct you can run any ET that it takes to win the race. When car is dialed correct and scoreboard is wrong and driver stages car the outcome is the outcome. No reruns or do overs needed.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #19
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoller View Post
Rule book doesn't address a 'dial-over' situation. Since both incorrect dials were caused by the tower I guess it is a valid race, the standard rules apply. So stock race result was decided by a foul and SS by breakout (worst). Seems NHRA should amend the rules to include a competitor posting a 'dial-over'.
I wasn't there to witness event but I feel car WAS dialed correctly and tower inserted a wrong dial that became slower then index of that car. ALWAYS drivers responsibility to verify dial on scoreboard. If driver did dial over index that is something that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #20
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

There is also another rule book that NHRA has....

It the competition rule book.....

Very hard to get a look at.....

But if NHRA is pressed they could come up chapter and verse regarding over index dial ins....

There is also an urban legend that a Super Stock racer came into his or her possession, a very long time ago, a copy of this competition rules book....

It's not the drivers responsibility to know what the index is of the car in the other lane or to check their dial in....

This reason that we have the NHRA is to make sure that the racing is conducted fairly..

If there are no rules we are back to street racing..

It looks like there should be a computer up date for the Compulink timing system, in order to prevent over index dials...

This can be done when the system is updated to include the TruStart system........

Just sayin'
Bob

PS:
Couldn't help myself....

PPS:
I also know that some racers would think it's OK to dial in over the index because it is only a bracket race........................

Last edited by Bob Mulry; 02-12-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Only Bracket Race
Bob Mulry is offline   Reply With Quote