HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
JWhalen58

Liked 98 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: LODRS payout increases ideas

I think so, what's an extra 20-50 bucks. I would be willing to take care of it at Div 3 races.
JWhalen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 7,168 Times in 1,386 Posts

Gentlemen, NHRA board members will get a good chuckle regarding this thread at their next meeting. Their plan for increasing car counts at LODRS events is already in motion. They realize the Die Hards will attend even more points races in order to have enough grade points to attend national events. Only 70 entries for the Las Vegas race left many a Stock competitor on the outside looking in. Of course there are different rules for the FSS cars as evidenced by the Hush Hush addition of 10 entries at the Gatornationals..
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 280 Posts

It may not be exactly like back when I ran tracks, but NHRA sells the Divisional races to the tracks. NHRA provides certain services and personnel that run the race. I know for a fact that at one time(Recently) the cost got so high for a Divisional that it took 400 entries for the track owner to break even. That brought about the Regional akly tour and separated them, unless a track wants them, from Divisional meets. I notice my old buddy Greenlight had a good plan and made a comment I totally agree with.
Track managers, operators and ownership in general have all gotten lazy. Quite a few years ago most of them quit being promoters and went to relying on just the income from the racers. That was brought about when Bracket Racing took root and Class Racing left the local tracks. Promotion is a key to putting butts in the stands and I feel that is where the effort should be concentrated. Years ago racers would invade a community like a bunch of locust. Every hotel parking lot was full of racers and race cars. The locals got an eye full and would come to the track to see the show. Now everyone stays at the track in their mega dollar MH's with enclosed trailers. As racers we have contributed to the problem just by the nature of how we transport our toys. When I had a big event I would do displays and radio/TV remotes at various locations in the trade area of my tracks. Most of the time I would use local favorites and the Booked in Show in the displays.
It took work and was well worth the effort.
I think the rise in social media could be a big benefit to put Butts in The Stands, too. When I was Race Director for Hot Rod Drag Week I saw first hand how social media worked well for putting a crowd in the stands after a rain delay at Tulsa. We were rained out on Friday & running in a window between big rains on Saturday. Todd and his staff did a good job bringing the crowd out, even with the threat of rain. He did some real specific advertisement and worked the social media angle. local racers could do the same for their tracks that have big races. When I was active racing I liked to see friends and customers come to the track to watch. A local newspaper article about the locals that are participating could bring a couple hundred spectators. Most Local newspapers are starved for content. Get with your buddies and write an article. Make it easy on the newspaper guys. Why can't we help and maybe be rewarded for our help promoting the races?

Last edited by Adger Smith; 03-05-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 7,168 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
It may not be exactly like back when I ran tracks, but NHRA sells the Divisional races to the tracks. NHRA provides certain services and personnel that run the race. I know for a fact that at one time(Recently) the cost got so high for a Divisional that it took 400 entries for the track owner to break even. That brought about the Regional akly tour and separated them, unless a track wants them, from Divisional meets. I notice my old buddy Greenlight had a good plan and made a comment I totally agree with.
Track managers, operators and ownership in general have all gotten lazy. Quite a few years ago most of them quit being promoters and went to relying on just the income from the racers. That was brought about when Bracket Racing took root and Class Racing left the local tracks. Promotion is a key to putting butts in the stands and I feel that is where the effort should be concentrated. Years ago racers would invade a community like a bunch of locust. Every hotel parking lot was full of racers and race cars. The locals got an eye full and would come to the track to see the show. Now everyone stays at the track in their mega dollar MH's with enclosed trailers. As racers we have contributed to the problem just by the nature of how we transport our toys. When I had a big event I would do displays and radio/TV remotes at various locations in the trade area of my tracks. Most of the time I would use local favorites and the Booked in Show in the displays.
It took work and was well worth the effort.
I think the rise in social media could be a big benefit to put Butts in The Stands, too. When I was Race Director for Hot Rod Drag Week I saw first hand how social media worked well for putting a crowd in the stands after a rain delay at Tulsa. We were rained out on Friday & running in a window between big rains on Saturday. Todd and his staff did a good job bringing the crowd out, even with the threat of rain. He did some real specific advertisement and worked the social media angle. local racers could do the same for their tracks that have big races. When I was active racing I liked to see friends and customers come to the track to watch. A local newspaper article about the locals that are participating could bring a couple hundred spectators. Most Local newspapers are starved for content. Get with your buddies and write an article. Make it easy on the newspaper guys. Why can't we help and maybe be rewarded for our help promoting the races?
Great ideas Adger, IF and its a BIG IF.....I ever considered running a racetrack I would hang out with Bill Bader for a few days, he puts butts in the stands. He has a very successful business model that for the most part is Ignored by other track operators.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 905 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Great ideas Adger, IF and its a BIG IF.....I ever considered running a racetrack I would hang out with Bill Bader for a few days, he puts butts in the stands. He has a very successful business model that for the most part is Ignored by other track operators.
Remember this .... closed the gates at Norwalks points race as it was @ capacity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norwalk Night Croud (640x480).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	32675  
Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #16
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

I was told this a few years ago by a div director. Look around son 400 plus racers payed $160 each to race for $3000. I don't see a problem.
The only way it will get any better is if people quit going. Points meets are a waste of time other than the grading point. Which now comes into play because fuel is under $2.00 a gallon

NHRA is making it hard for racers like me to stay. I could own a nice lake house and boat for what we have spent the last 3-4 years.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 03-05-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #17
Jody Lang

Liked 90 Times in 28 Posts

I believe it's around 15K the track pays NHRA to be there. It's increased when it exceeds a certain number of cars.

I am more in favor of the semi money that is not paid out when there's 3 cars left getting divided up between the racers that made the semi and quarters. Maybe the semi racer and the racer in the quarters who had the best losing package???

Entry fees are enough as they stand. The price of crew passes are getting close to the price of a crew pass at National events. It's insane
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #18
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
.... Which now comes into play because fuel is under $2.00 a gallon
For the moment. Gas has gone up about .30 a gallon in the past week and a half in the Denver,CO area. By mid summer we`ll see what the turnouts look like.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:08 AM   #19
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

It's an election year, fuel is not getting over $2.50 a gallon this year.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #20
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
It's an election year, fuel is not getting over $2.50 a gallon this year.
I like your logic!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote