HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default Re: don grotheer max wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKE VISCOME View Post
Hey...ignored this post the other day...in "hope" that someone else would remind/let you know Don tragically lost his life some years ago...racing a Pro Stock Pinto...certainly a change from all those successful Chrysler years...real good guy...fine racer...Drake p.s...Don's "fleet" of Cable Cars slick...a quite successful as well!
Drake,

Don Grotheer is still alive and well (as far as I know). You have him confused with Irv Beringhaus who purchased Don's Pro Stock Pinto.

Pete

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irv Beringhaus

Born: July 17, 1934
Died: January 26, 1974
Buried: Green Mountain Cemetery, Boulder, Colorado

Full Name: Irvin Herbert Beringhaus
Nickname:
Drag Strip: Beeline Dragway, Arizona
Event: AHRA Winternationals
Accident Date:
Car: Pro Stock 1973 Ford Pinto

Biographical: He was driving a Pro Stock Pinto that had been built by Don Hardy in Texas with an engine built by Gapp & Roush. It was his first year campaigning a Ford after running Mopar in all his previous racing. During qualifying his car flipped six times at 152 MPH. He was a Denver land developer and had been racing in pro stock for at least five years. He first began drag racing with an Olds 442, but progressively advanced until getting into the pro ranks. He was survived by his wife and three children.

Sources
"AHRA driver dies in crash during trials," Chicago Tribune, January 27, 1974
Pueblo Chieftain website (http://forums.pueblochieftain.com/sh...?t=2326&page=5)
Find a Grave website
Bob McClurg, "Pint-o'-Pinto," High Performance Cars, Mar. 1974
Nancy Beringhaus, e-mail communication to site administrator, Feb. 22 & 24, 2011
Debra Beringhaus, e-mail communication to site administrator, Mar. 7, 2011
Photos
Keystone Bison Dragways website (http://www.mts.net/~57ford/reunion11.html)
Nancy Beringhaus, e-mail communication to site administrator, Feb. 26, 2011
Pro Stock Hemi.com gallery (http://www.prostockhemi.com/gallery2...&g2_itemId=725)

Last edited by mopar68; 12-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
chooch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyparker View Post
I remember seeing this car run at Okla City in early '63. Don had just installed a traction bar system that went to the back of the car, when he left the starting line these bars actually pulled down on the back of the car and raised the front. Ask Don about them, I'm sure he will remember because they didn't stay on the car long. If I remember correctly he stated that he had seen cars at the Winternationals with the same set up.
I asked Don about them & said he never could figure out if they helped him or not & was hard to tell because of the mw torque plus a 3 speed then you throw in 7" tires that's why he ran shorter collectors on the headers
chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
chooch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
The red 64 that he raced at the Winternationals was on loan from Weldon Christian.
Don is doing really well & probably is one of the most down to earth knowledgeable people to talk to & not to mention what a amazing memory. he's really surprised that is car is still around since it got sold as just a driver,but he's excited to see it again "road trip" considering this was his first mopar he ever owned or raced yes he was a ford / chevy man before!!
The red car at the 64 nats was a 64 ford fairlane 289 / 4sp since he sold the black car a few months before & didn't buy the white 63 car until 65
Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 91 Times in 35 Posts

Hey Chooch...indeed I am "confused"...old age "hoss"...Irv was fatally injured in the Pinto Pro Stock car...a long time Chrysler guy as well... my sincerest apology to Don...friends/family!... Drake
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

I memory serves me right Don had the first S/SS car I ever saw run the 12's and it was a 62 Ford, 12.97 at OKC.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #16
chooch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he did mention that he was a die hard ford guy & even raced some chevys & I read somewhere that he was racing a z-11pulling 12.88 et's before this car.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #17
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 683 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Don is doing really well & probably is one of the most down to earth knowledgeable people to talk to & not to mention what a amazing memory. he's really surprised that is car is still around since it got sold as just a driver,but he's excited to see it again "road trip" considering this was his first mopar he ever owned or raced yes he was a ford / chevy man before!!
The red car at the 64 nats was a 64 ford fairlane 289 / 4sp since he sold the black car a few months before & didn't buy the white 63 car until 65
My memory is not that good, but I do know that the car Don raced at the 64 WinterNationals was Weldon's 64 light weight max wedge. A photo is attached.

Actually the aluminum front end on Don's "second" 63 was off this car. Don was a sheet metal worker by trade and reworked everything to look like a 63. You could not tell the difference when he was done.

The red 64 Fairlane high performance 289 was acquired after the 64 WinterNationals. It was a really cool car as well.

Its great to hear Don is doing well. The only time I have talked to him since "back in the day" was after he had heart surgery, got an infection, but was on the road to recovery.

Bill Lamb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64RedSmall.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	31927  
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
chooch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
My memory is not that good, but I do know that the car Don raced at the 64 WinterNationals was Weldon's 64 light weight max wedge. A photo is attached.

Actually the aluminum front end on Don's "second" 63 was off this car. Don was a sheet metal worker by trade and reworked everything to look like a 63. You could not tell the difference when he was done.

The red 64 Fairlane high performance 289 was acquired after the 64 WinterNationals. It was a really cool car as well.

Its great to hear Don is doing well. The only time I have talked to him since "back in the day" was after he had heart surgery, got an infection, but was on the road to recovery.

Bill Lamb

wow I didn't think anybody else knew that but your right unless you where told he made the 63 front end I really don't think you could possibly tell, he did mention that the 64 front end was lighter plus he got it cheap since it was the 65 season by the time he got the white car. the hood scoop on the car early on was made out of steel before he put the aluminum on.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
georgep3689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THe 1964 NHRA Winternationals entry list the #785 1964 plymouth car as a stick.
Most pictures of the Cox motors plymouth I found have SSA on the side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0865.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	31936  
georgep3689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
georgep3689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This picture is from the 1964 NHRA Winternationals... SSA on the side...
Did Don swap out the Auto and put a 4 speed for this event?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4674.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	31937  
georgep3689 is offline   Reply With Quote