HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
283nova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: corvair in stock or superstock?

thanks for that bit of info.

what about the 140 hp? mine is the corsa 140horse witht he 4 carbs, which isnt always fun to tune in.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
M&M Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: corvair in stock or superstock?

What about Dick Griffin out of Lansing, Michigan? This was a great car. Record holder too. Long time ago but NHRA didn't like his turbocharged car . As I remember , they weren't going to allow turbo/supercharged cars anymore. ??????? Times change ....
M&M Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
bob shirley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dick griffin ran away from the terrible tangerine wagon of truupi for class at indy.
car was amazing
bob shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
winstonindy

I have a '64 Monza Spyder Turbo....150hp. She's a beast.

It's only seen the parking lot at Lebanon Valley. But so very tempting.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #15
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: corvair in stock or superstock?

When I was in High School I had a friend who had a real Yenko Corvair! We didn't realize how rare these cars were until many years after it was gone. Real Corvair groupies can tell you how rare they are. It was friggin fast! BTW at that time I was driving a 1932 Model A Ford with a Chrysler 392 HEMI and a Powerflite trans. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
fordteacherguy

Liked 150 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
Waaay back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, there was a Corvair stocker called "Slo-Iz-Cheep". It was raced in the Mpls/St.Paul area by Roger Wilhelmy, a technician at a Chevrolet dealership in St. Paul. One of the coolest races I've ever seen (to this day) was the final of "Legal Eliminator" (basically a Saturday night bracket race made up of Stock, Super Stock and then-Modified cars), at Twin City Speedway. The contestants were Gene Pearson, with his "Impossible Dream" A/MP Camaro and Roger Wilhelmy, with his Corvair. The dial-in difference was like 8 seconds, and Pearson spent most of that literally just idling on the starting line. He caught Roger a millimeter before the finish line and won the race. When they came out into to the burnout box, you couldn't find a place to stand.
Slight correction: Slo-Iz-cheep was run by Dan Thorstad, white 65 Corvair, Rogers Wilhelmy's was the silver one with flames in the front...both were record holders in the area running W/S. I owned Roger's car later in it's life...painted it back to it's original red. Purchased that 67 Corvair 500 from the previous owner Who bought it from Roger) who was busted with nitrous in it at Brainerd. I ran the car for a few years (no NO2), it ran a couple under the index, then later put it back to a street car. The 110 hp had potential, but the weak point of inner axle breakage was frustrating. A unusual combo for sure, fun to drive and could do a clutch is less than 30 Min!
fordteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,042 Times in 1,586 Posts

I've had an itch to do a 140HP/Powerglide combo for a couple of years now. I'd love to see how it would work as a modern Stocker but I'm not getting into "collecting" to build one. Still too many Fieros sitting in junkyards.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Back in 73-74 I got a Corvair turbo powered dune buggy from Div ll tech director John Biedenkapp. It was on a shortened VW pan. Fun car but hard to drive. Tried it in a couple parking lot events but with the short wheelbase and rear overhang, if you were in a corner and got on it, it would stop going around the corner when it got boost. Only car I ever had that would actually tote the wheels on the street.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
TGould

Liked 32 Times in 6 Posts

Billy, as you know, the 140/135s are natural R/S cars. Better than Q/S but still needs another 5 HP off. At 130 HP the Monza 4drs and Corsas would be natural T/S cars. Now that would be interesting.
TGould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 AM   #20
nhramnl

Liked 354 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordteacherguy View Post
Slight correction: Slo-Iz-cheep was run by Dan Thorstad, white 65 Corvair, Rogers Wilhelmy's was the silver one with flames in the front...both were record holders in the area running W/S. I owned Roger's car later in it's life...painted it back to it's original red. Purchased that 67 Corvair 500 from the previous owner Who bought it from Roger) who was busted with nitrous in it at Brainerd. I ran the car for a few years (no NO2), it ran a couple under the index, then later put it back to a street car. The 110 hp had potential, but the weak point of inner axle breakage was frustrating. A unusual combo for sure, fun to drive and could do a clutch is less than 30 Min!
Thanks for correcting... it was a long, long time ago, and as they say, the first thing to go is your memory.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote