HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Mark Ugrich

Liked 58 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Kevlar pilot bushings

I use a sealed bearing in my SBF. It was installed with green loctite. It may take some research , but I would think there has to be a bearing that would be close enough for your application.
Mark Ugrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I been using the sealed bearing for years,picked it up from truck pullers, Mc Leod, I think sales them Jerico used to I know they have them for Chevrolets,I don't know what your application is.
Had some made before,can't remember bearing # make bushing to adapt OD to crank
BTW they fit in the bigger hole where converter pilot goes
Remember made one for Windsor in pulling truck once.
These bearings will last for years and if ever do go bad just go buy bearing and put in bushing.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 298 Times in 158 Posts

YES McCloud sells the sealed roller bearings many types look on the web site
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Jim Caughlin

Liked 697 Times in 210 Posts

Thanks for the info. I run a 2.3 Ford motor with an adapter plate to run a SBF flywheel and bellhousing, the crank has been modified to accept the standard GM dimension pilot bearing so there is probably something off the shelf that would work.

Still wondering about gauling on the pilot. It would seem to me that there would be enough friction in the bearing seals that it would not turn free enough to avoid slippage and subsequent damage to the pilot. Might be overthinking this...
Jim Caughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Supershifter55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Kevlar pilot bushings

BTW they fit in the bigger hole where converter pilot goes.

Hi Jim, I could not get the bronze pilot bushing to last even with the bellhousing aligned near perfect. I use the sealed bearing which inserts in the back of the crank where the converter nose goes. It clears and no gauling on pilot shaft. Looked great after 60 passes. High rpm launches are hard on those stock bushings I think. Happy holidays to you. Gary Howe,
Old 11-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Never seen any problems,truck pullers are way harder on them than we are they bring rpm up high and then ride pedal for 50-75' depending on track.
Sealed bearing will end your pilot bearing problems
Mike Taylor 3601
Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Jim Caughlin

Liked 697 Times in 210 Posts

As long as we are on the subject of manual trans component life, how long are people getting out of throw out bearings? In my case, they are pretty trashed by the end on one season and due for replacement. The other issue that I hate is that they fling grease into the bellhousing. I've always just accepted these issue (limited life and the grease issues) as the cost of racing a manual trans. Any better ideas?
Jim Caughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

I had about 150 passes on mine at last inspection but dont turn much over 6K,I say yours is seeing quite a bit above 6K. I wonder if the extra harmonics of 4cyl shortens life of pilot bearing,throw out bearing.etc
Use to get BCA bearing to use w/long style press plates,were looked up for early 60's GMC truck that had the big GMC V6 w/long style pressure plate if remember correctly took bearing off the (don't know name of part) housing maybe well any way bearing presses on it and it goes in clutch fork and press back on regular chevrolet piece.
One in my car now is Ram.
Mike Taylor 3601
Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Sean Marconette

Liked 182 Times in 62 Posts

Jim,
I have been using the same TOB since 2008. I have a spare, but when I pull the trans to check the clutch I check it and have not seen any issues. Same way with the pilot bearing. I run an SKF sealed bearing for the pilot.

As for bearings, if you have a bearing distributor in your area, with the dimensions you need for the pilot, the distributor will be able to match the ID and OD. It may be metric but most likely they can find something for you. A place like IBT would be who I am referring to.

The reason for having bearing issues, comes back to alignment of the bell housing. I align pumps and cooling towers and it is critical that the less misalignment that you have the longer things will live. .005 and less is required and that would be both parallel and angular. It could be the bell housing is aligned on the parallel plane, but the angular is not. Something to check if you are having issues.

Sean

Last edited by Sean Marconette; 11-21-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: More info
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote