HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Anyone rember this old C/SA Fairlane?

R code means 2-4 carbs and my documents shows no 67 convertible 427s, but in 1966 there was 1 convertible 427....and it was a prototype car that was really an S code body
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA

Last edited by Stephen & Horace Johnson; 05-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
kwm

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Paperwork on Dick's car at Mecum said car was born with a 289.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

I remember buying a set of used set of slicks from Dick back in the '80's.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
lstanford

Liked 134 Times in 31 Posts

I remember Dick bringing this car to the Milan Super Ford meets back in the 80's. The car was immaculate with all of the aluminum trim and grille anodized gold. The convertible top was stretched tight and sealed to make it shiny. I never looked at the VIN but the car was a good runner in the Nostalgia class.
lstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Anyone rember this old C/SA Fairlane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
R code means 2-4 carbs and my documents shows no 67 convertible 427s, but in 1966 there was 1 convertible 427....and it was a prototype car that was really an S code body
OK....It appears that it didnt exist at all. The street racer story was just a story from long ago it seems and Simon's car was a 289. But WHAT does my friend Jim have? Its a 1967 Convertable. It was a 4-speed car and is in rough shape without an engine and a trans. It has a 9 inch rear and I just looked at the vin again this morning along with the title. It looks like an "R" on the vin with some rust and a lot of black paint over it (we sanded on it) and the title has an "R" matching the vin. What does he have? If they never made it then its possible that someone screwed around with the tile and vin during a transfer many years ago. Either way its still going to be a driver and not a collectable. If it turns out like his T-Birds it will be beautiful and a cool ride. If they never made one how did Simon get to race stock when you had to have a car that that the manufacturer have to make back in the day. How did this stuff get in the class guide? What about Richard Charbonneau's E/S 427/410 HP (1 X4) Winternationals winning station wagon back in the 7 inch tire days? One of one or one of none? What about the the wagons currently running today in B/Sand C/S(and with the glass scooped hood that was never avaliable or made on a wagon)??? Didnt NHRA require 50/100/or 500 of the combos to be made back in the early 70's to be eligable for stock?

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 05-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Jim Bailey

Liked 626 Times in 119 Posts
Exclamation Re: Anyone rember this old C/SA Fairlane?

Does anyone remember when this car fell off the jack while warming up and crashed into the back of the Grandstands at Martin, Mich ? OR .. how good looking Dick Simon's Daughter was ?
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Gil Brannan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somewhere I have pics of it running at Salem Ohio in the mid to late 90's. I remember this car because he ran the same class as I did and he was always faster. Really nice car.
Gil Brannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bailey View Post
Does anyone remember when this car fell off the jack while warming up and crashed into the back of the Grandstands at Martin, Mich ? OR .. how good looking Dick Simon's Daughter was ?
I was working that event at Martin. Dick had the Holley carb off in his pit area working on it. When he put it back together he somehow got the small linkage for the secondary on wrong. As he pulled into the rear of the long staging lanes he winged the throttle and it hung wide open. He went flying up through the lanes, crashed into the rear of Russ Abrams S/S Firebird and then the back of the grandstands.

Dick's daughter Robin married Randy Running. I have not seen them in quite a while.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Jim Bailey

Liked 626 Times in 119 Posts
Wink Re: Anyone rember this old C/SA Fairlane?

Travis ...you are the MAN, lol
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
OK....It appears that it didnt exist at all. The street racer story was just a story from long ago it seems and Simon's car was a 289. But WHAT does my friend Jim have? Its a 1967 Convertable. It was a 4-speed car and is in rough shape without an engine and a trans. It has a 9 inch rear and I just looked at the vin again this morning along with the title. It looks like an "R" on the vin with some rust and a lot of black paint over it (we sanded on it) and the title has an "R" matching the vin. What does he have? If they never made it then its possible that someone screwed around with the tile and vin during a transfer many years ago. Either way its still going to be a driver and not a collectable. If it turns out like his T-Birds it will be beautiful and a cool ride. If they never made one how did Simon get to race stock when you had to have a car that that the manufacturer have to make back in the day. How did this stuff get in the class guide? What about Richard Charbonneau's E/S 427/410 HP (1 X4) Winternationals winning station wagon back in the 7 inch tire days? One of one or one of none? What about the the wagons currently running today in B/Sand C/S(and with the glass scooped hood that was never avaliable or made on a wagon)??? Didnt NHRA require 50/100/or 500 of the combos to be made back in the early 70's to be eligable for stock?
Years ago the way cars got into the Class Guide was the manufacturer sent info to NHRA pre-production. The intent was to build the cars but some never did get built. If the specs were accepted and put into the Class Guide, in later years, the cars were allowed to run whether they actually came off the assembly line or not. If no one ordered a particular model with a certain engine, a car built after the fact was still allowed to run because the Class Guide showed it on paper. Sometimes NHRA would ask for verification that a certain number of cars were built but not always. The number verification included all body styles grouped together, but not necessarily a minimum number of each body style.

A prime example of specs sent to NHRA but the car never being built is still in the Class Guide. The specs still show a 1970 Monte Carlo convertible. GM had plans to build Monte Carlo convertibles, sent the specs to NHRA, but at the last minute pulled the plug on the cars.
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote