HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
quickford1

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: R.I.P. Clem Lachance, "The Mad Frenchman"

Clem was just an all around good guy, full of energy. He will be missed.
Rich
quickford1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 674 Times in 143 Posts

Raced with Clem in modified when I drove a friends car back in the seventies. That is when I got to know him, and still have talked to him regularly whenever we were at the same track. Great fellow, and fun to talk to. I never knew his age, but I would've guessed younger than 80. Never forget that grin he always had. I think I was at the Valley when Clem put the Maverick on it's roof one day, no problem, he fixed it.

Clem is one of the many reasons I enjoy this sport, great guy and will be missed
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,311 Times in 840 Posts

I didn't know Clem, but watched him race at Dover way back when.
Godspeed and rest in peace Mad Frenchman.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
joe huestis

Liked 384 Times in 107 Posts
Thumbs up Re: R.I.P. Clem Lachance, "The Mad Frenchman"

Dave,
The Maverick Clem rolled At the Valley was a total loss. He ended up stripping the car of all reusable parts and them took a torch to it in his driveway, cutting it up and hauling it away for scrap. The present car is actually his second Maverick which he purchased from the Alizer Bros. from N.J. who sold their car complete when they retired from racing. I remember at Dover in the mid-seventies with the origional Maverick when during eliminations the pin holding the steering column shaft sheared and at about the 330 ft. mark car took a hard left into the dirt embankment, came to a stop, and Clem climbs out of the car holding the steering wheel with the broken shaft still attached and holds it up to show the crowd in the spectator side. the place went nuts cheering ! Some of you oldtimers may remember his '40 Studebaker coupe gasser he ran in the '60s and early 70's in I/G also with a Ford 6 cyl. His first racecar was a '61 Starliner with a big block Ford for power. Clem also raced at the old Montgomery airstrip back in the day with folks like Greg Viscome.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #15
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 91 Times in 35 Posts

Hey Joe...it's taken me a couple of days to get "composed" to offer our sincerest condolances to you...Clem Lachance was indeed one special "cat"...may you be comforted by the long genuine friendship you shared with Clem...we well "know" Clem was way more than just a good drag racer/cool guy...his ever ready unending willingness to help others...coupled with his always smile/personality for anyone...spoke volumes about who/what he was...my family...just a few of many...who shared his "company" for some years...he will be truly missed...God speed...Drake Viscome & family...p.s. well do remember...being a 10 year old tire wiper on my dad's (Greg) Scotty Fenn/Chassis Research Flathead Ford V-8 dragster @ Montgomery NY...in 1958-9...the "start" of a 50-plus year "addiction" 'eh...a lil' later Clem's then "beautiful" Starliner
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

A friend for almost 50 years, that I never heard say a bad thing about anyone. Sure going to miss Clem. R.I.P.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
joe huestis

Liked 384 Times in 107 Posts

What many folks don't know is that Clem was an avid ice hockey player, having played minor league hockey in Canada before marrying his wonderful wife Jeannie. I remember him going down to "the Spa" , beach 5 at Lake Carmel and play ice hockey with the teenagers on the lake. They would clear the ice of snow with an old Willie's Jeep and set up makeshift goals on each end. Clem would then school these teens with all these fancy moves. Everyone always wanted to be on his team, he was that good !
Talk about a true friendship, back in the 80's, I decided to take my car out one last time before the season ended. I left my home in Pawling on a cold November morning for Island Dragway. Just after crossing The Newburgh-Beacon bridge, I hear this loud bang and proceed to watch my motorhome's driveshaft bouncing along the interstate behind me. Not knowing what I should do, I called Clem who was leaving the house for church with his family. He dropped everything and came to my aid with his tow car. We hook up the trailer and he insists on taking me to Island to race that day, still in his church clothes and crewed for me all day. He wouldn't take a dime for gas either !
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 674 Times in 143 Posts

Thanks for the clarification on the change of cars Joe, as Lee said what a great guy and even better the way he lead his life. Did not know about his hockey talents, but not surprised. gonna miss him for sure.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Fred Rice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow....what can I say. Just a year ago I saw Clem after some thirty two years. We ( Clem, Joe Huestis, Doug Smith, Rich Head ) got together for an evening of drag racing at Roxboro Dragway. The next day Clem was inducted into the East Coast Drag Racing Hall of Fame. We were all there including all his kids. It was a great time.

It was good to see Clem after so many years. Always fun to be with, always trying out "the hot setup" and always polite and courteous to all. Clem exemplified the statement "to never give up". A low buck racer...he was persistent with his race car. He was an excellent fabricator using his skills to make his Ford 6 run hard. I learned a lot as his racing partner for those few years. Man we had many good times. He will be missed by many.

To Joe Huestis, you were the thread that kept us in touch....I am so grateful to have finally got some time with him before his passing. Thanks.

Fred

Pictures courtesy of Dino ....www.doverdragstrip.com

Last edited by Fred Rice; 12-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Fred Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure just what to say. Clem was a drag racer that few who ever met him would forget. I remember him racing at the nostalgia race at Roxboro that week-end. At the cookout on Friday he came up to me and said he had heard we were going to carry some of the cars, that were at the reunion, and go racing on Friday night and could anyone participate. I told him that we do not limit how many cars can come and race. We just go to that old dragstrip and race for fun. Got to Roxboro and here Clem was ready to have some fun. God bless and our condolences to his family and friends.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote