HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
Rod Greene

Liked 205 Times in 73 Posts

Bowtie when was the last time you raced? Nothing personal just curious. I think NHRA should ban all automatics. Everyone should have a clutch and a manual trans, no air shifters or electronic shifters.

A bad day racing is better than a good day at work except for Div 7. Real men shift for them selves. 06/07 G/S record holder
Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
If you think someone has a box the rules are already in place to PROTEST THEM(Yeah I'm yelling).All you need is the balls to put up the money and have someone available who knows what he's doing to find it.I know in Div. 1 there are alot of guys who could sniff it out.But most of you are just a bunch of whinnrs and are content to bang on the keys instead.
When was the last time someone protested because of a box in S/SS??????????????????????????????

Ed F.
15 T/SA

ok, now that the last three guys have gone a wee bit emotional - here's my respone:

No one PROTESTS!! Should they protest? Yes. Will they? No. Why? who cares - the bottom line is if no one is protesting then we're in the same boat next year that we're in today.

I believe NHRA is offering up a chance for parity - ASAP.

Rod........unless you've forgotten who I am, tsk, tsk. Stay on topic a bit ok?

I miss my '58 New Yorker and its 392 Hemi.......
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 AM   #13
Rod Greene

Liked 205 Times in 73 Posts

I do know who you are and I have not seen you at the races since your unfortunate accident.

A bad day racing is better than a good day at work except for Div 7. Real men shift for them selves. 06/07 G/S record holder
Old 04-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
Bruce Fulper

Rod:
Don't know when I'll be back out. Won't be soon enough.
I burn c12 in the living room instead of incense just to get my fix.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #15
Bruce Fulper

Adger:

You up? Can you call me right now?
909-844-1081

Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #16
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 280 Posts

SE,
I'm glad that you got the Low down on it. I was glad to read your post. I don't like the spec button or the 2 steps in stock or the new ax delay device. I can't say anything about the .500 button. It made me be able to adjust better. Makes up for my advancing age & limited eye sight. I guess the next thing I will have to buy is the adjstable option for my Pro flite.
Goes on & on doesn't it!!!

Adger Smith
Old 04-29-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts

The more crap they allow, the more crap can be added on, legal or illegal and hidden.

Locomotion Racing
http://www.geocities.com/locomotionracing
Old 04-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #18
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Protest? You won't find the good stuff unless you bring a cutting torch and a transmission teardown tech. Go to the RC (radio controled) races and look at the stuff that is available by remote. If you are going to vote yes for delay boxes then you better get them to change the wording to enclude kelvin temp light sensors also or you will still be behind the curve. Even with a delay box leaving on the first light or crossing over you still have to hit the tree at some point. A killer light and a dead on pass costs less than a set of the latest trick of the week heads in SS.

Its either all or none if anything is to change. Racers policing themselves is a good thought but it all boils down to ethics. The other factor is the penalty for violation.

SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,317 Times in 264 Posts

I am somewhat encouraged by the post from SEB about his conversation with Len. I race a stick. I have raced an automatic in several classes over the years too. I was a SS racer back when the delay boxes were allowed. I didn't think much of it then. I just bought one and put it in the car. It was a huge BF electronics box with a 9 volt battery and coax cable everywhere. I think it got HBO too. Anyway, I left off of the top bulb and it was really shocking to me how easy it was to dial in. I ran it at the Div 5 race in Cedar Falls and went a few rounds before breaking a rocker arm and losing. Sold it not long after that with the rule change and was glad that someone wanted it . Anyway. it wasn't as much fun as actually staging and shooting for a light. I don't know, call me sentimental, but I have more fun feeling like I am actually driving. The more of a driving experience I have, the more fun I have. Maybe that is why I drive a stick now. I have more fun doing it.
I don't like rule changes that loosen things up more. So far, most of the rule changes in the last years have cost racers much more money .disc brakes, pistons, etc. Some of the folks post on here every time there is a rule change that this or that should be allowed. I think we need to be careful what we wish for. Remember, if we allow something, it doesn't happen in a vacuum.
As far as rule changes go, I think those folks that think that NHRA cannot enforce the rules, should ask first that they do. It is clear that when NHRA chooses to act, they can. (oildown rule for example) They just have to have the desire to do it.Imagine if NHRA policed entry fees like they look for delay devices. There would be an unattended basket at the gate with a note to leave your entry fee at the gate! They don't really have a good process to follow up on the rules that they have. This is a reflection of the decision making at the very top of the tech department, not the lower levels. If they are truly advocates for a level playing field, I would not support any action to turn this into another expensive form of superstreet, but to enforce what we have and perhaps clarify what the delay devices are, even if it outlaws a few existing buttons out there. It would not take a tremendous amount of manpower to spot check in the lanes or on the return road if they deputized some folks regionally. They can also make the penalty much more severe for the alleged kelvin scanners too. Imagine if you were caught with Nitrous or stealing horses, whatever. That would be a hangin offense. Well the delay device should be as well. As far as the high tech guy that left? I guess. That is a pure employment issue. NHRA may have to pay enough to attract and keep that kind of person. Maybe they can cut a Vice President or two and free up some cash.

Don't get me started on the stockers. I think no matter how it is done. The stockers should leave with some kind of FOOT action, end of story. I Barf every time I see those Whussy 3 inch buttons on dashboards and steering wheels.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

>> When was the last time someone protested because of a box in S/SS??????????????????????????????

Ron Muncy, Stock Eliminator I believe in 2001. He was caught, and banned. Pretty simple.
Robert Staton, IHRA Modified eliminator, around the same time, caught and banned. (and that one wasn't even a delay box! It was a homemade thing designed to create a delay less than what the AX button does today! Pretty impressive that Mike Baker caught it...)

Michael Beard
Staging Light Graphic Design & Printing
Duck Tape/Loctite Racing
H - I - J/CM '80 Volare 360 Magnum