HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: S/SS and drag racing in general

I was at the Holcomb Civil Wars at Rockingham a couple weeks back. They had about 10 different classes. I think 6 were the heads up variety. Some classes had close to 30 cars for a 16 car field. There were over 300 cars on the grounds and it rained on friday and saturday. In fact it rained until 10 saturday morning and there were cars lined up at the gate half mile down the road still coming in.
Younger Generation Love that style racing.

Bracket Racing is way down also. I went to Coastal Plains a while back for a 2 day 5 grand to win each day, They only had 44 cars on saturday and half that on Sunday Purse was cut too ( it was on the flyer 75 car minimum.)

I went to the bracket finals at Rockingham last weekend and notice a big difference from years past. Lots of Downsizing(except for Jr dragsters). Seems like the TOTER/STACKER/4.50 dragstercrowd has moved on to something else or staying home. Lots more Door Cars coming back. In fact the finals of Top e.t. was 2 -9 inch tire novas.

I hear lots of talk from racers that are staying home more and racing locally. Either brackets or Combos and that my friends may save the sport.

I have put both my cars up for sale and have made no plans for next year. I will race in some capacity just don't know where or how much.
Chip Johnson
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have made some of the comments on here before and always get negative comments in return; however, the comments posted here by all these racers are true. We race a car on the week-end and the crew chief to the youngest water/tire crew member range in age from 65 to 5 years old. We go to the heads-up, index and bracket races and have a lot of fun. Our car has been in publications and on TV. We have a whole lot more racing that we could have done by spending all the money it took to go to NHRA Unleashed at Z-max Dragway, right here in our own state.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Richard Grant

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

In order for Sportsman racing to survive overall cost must be lowered. I can race locally to win $1000 at a $55 dollar entry fee with a $5000 to $10000 car. If I race NHRA or IHRA it's $150 plus travelling and overnight stay cost for very little more return. As our cost to race have gone up contingency payouts are falling. I won't go into the new car vs. old car heads up fisco.
As I remember NHRA stated a few years ago that Stock/Super Stock precipation was on the increase. By most accounts it is now on the decrease and nothing is being done to address the problem. Building a successfull program is made up of making a lot of small important decisions that improve the status quo. I don't see that happening. Unless something is done Sportsman racing is dieing.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Cost is some of it but its definitely not all of it. I'm 25 and grew up racing at the track but I'm young enough that I know why so many young people latch on to the heads up stuff. First, its way more accessible to the local fan. Every track has local outlaw racing and fans love it(including the younger generation). Second, its easy to understand and people always like not having very many rules. Third, this generation has a certain fondness of power adders because in their minds that is whats exciting.

I'm a weirdo however, I loved Super Stock/Stock/Comp Eliminator from the first moment I saw these classes when I was little. It was love at first site and now I can't get enough of this stuff and will be there as long as all of you continue to keep the class going. Money is an issue but when you get into racing and you really want to do it, I mean reeeaaaallllllyyyyy want to do it, you realize that your going to spend more than you expected to in order to race this class. Hell, I want to race Comp Eliminator and I'm very aware that I will probably have to invest well over $70,000 to play in that sandbox so I'm doing all I can to learn alot so I don't become a buyer but rather a builder.

In my opinion however, wayyyyyyyyyy too many people are infatuated with being 1.20under players or have some crazy expectation that this class will start paying them back and are forcing themselves to retire or quit because of it. If you love it, you will continue to race and do your best to make things better. I for one would not let a soul on earth force me to quit racing if I love it and can afford it.

PS: We all know that times are hard and if its not financially feasible for you to travel and race, you have to make the decision thats best for you and your family.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

It seems the younger folks do like the 10.5 or 275 radial classes. They like the fastest stuff heads-up with no dial-in. The problem with that is it drives the cost up, and that will reduce the participants.
The only way to keep it from dying....is keep on going. The Stock and Super/Stock folks will be alright with the S,S/S Combos and the Nostalgia events.
I think the future is clear for the older style cars not being part of the NHRA National Events. With my 60 Corvette, I would certianly like to run some NHRA NATS. events but will strongly support the Sportsnationals, S,S/S combos and Nostalgia. Don't wait till the boat sinks, before you start building a new boat.

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heads up is easy to understand, that is the problem. Nhra doesn't push the sportsmen concept anymore on tv. There is no inside drag racing now. You can have a 10.5 style race with also classracing class on one big race weekend. The people would enjoy it all if you have good announcers explaining how it works in simple terms. Car counts are down because people don't feel like they are getting a got deal to race national events anymore. Will the car count be down at the dutch next week? Its an event for the sportsmen and the fans of sportsmen racing. I enjoy that more than the national event at the grove. What is the comparison of cost to you guys to run there?
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 186 Posts

National Event is: $ 305.

Dutch Classic is: $ 170.
Pistol Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Mike Brogniez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lang View Post
Here's what it looks like from my perspective:

Thks Toby, needed a good laugh today and that did it.............
Mike Brogniez is offline   Reply With Quote