Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,717 Times in 346 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Old days ///New days ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Kepner View Post
Although my opinion will probably infuriate many folks, I firmly believe these are the good ol' days.
Bret - You're not alone in your thoughts and feelings .Many just won't come out and say it .Me - I'm having the time of my life .........And I've been to a few drag races ! ! !
Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
pmrphil

Liked 288 Times in 123 Posts
Default Re: Old days ///New days ?

Remember when you could race the heads-up classes without electronics and still be competitive? AND have fun?
But then again, what Bret says is true. Every day that goes by will be "the good old days"
pmrphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
sugar1366

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah -- how could anyone be competitive in heads-up classes without a throttle stop. Thats just CRAZY!

I only wish I could have grown -up in the 50-60 70's era. I remember having to write a paper in high school answering the question: "If you lived a previous life, what would it have been?" I wrote a paper that said I must have lived a previous life in that era because of my extreme passion for the muscle cars and even the luxury cars of the time. If I could travel back in time, I would love to experience the early days of drag racing. I also think that although things have changed, we still are part of an awesome sport that combines some the most pristine examples of true muscle cars and impressive examples of modern performance vehicles. Old days or new days, we can all be grateful that we have this wonderful sport to share.

Eddie Bolton
sugar1366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 67 Times in 19 Posts

ok Brett, my biggest problem is to much electronics but my wife said I'm to old fashion anyhow
Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
Remember when you could race the heads-up classes without electronics and still be competitive? AND have fun?
But then again, what Bret says is true. Every day that goes by will be "the good old days"
In the good old days I remember, those classes, and even bracket racing, did not even exist. If you weren't fast enough you worked & learned until you were. People didn't give up and go bracket racing if they couldn't run fast enough right away.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,013 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Kepner View Post
Although my opinion will probably infuriate many folks, I firmly believe these are the good ol' days.
In one respect I believe Bret to be right. There exist so many different "designer" ways to go drag racing today that anybody should be able to find something that suits them. I believe that this is a good thing for drag racing as a whole. It has however "splintered" drag racing into many smaller venues and I'm not sure yet whether that is a good thing.
One thing that I do know is the easy access to "over the counter" horsepower and "off the rack" cars has already stifled the creativity of drag racing (think TF and PS) and will continue to creep (think Stock) until it all becomes boring to the fans and/or the participants. That could make "big time" drag racing go away. I hope not.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,013 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
In the good old days I remember, those classes, and even bracket racing, did not even exist. If you weren't fast enough you worked & learned until you were. People didn't give up and go bracket racing if they couldn't run fast enough right away.
Ed, haven't woke up from that coma yet? In the 21st century (mostly) everyone wants instant access and instant satisfaction (not to be confused with personal satisfaction) without getting their hands dirty or having to think. That's what Cleetus and Buford are for (guys like you and me).

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Its all ready boring, nothing new in TF, PS, and FC, same *****, have not watched since pro's stopped running points meets. The days of the Grump & Sox are long gone and there is nothing new to see.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me first say that if you have not read Bret's article about his first drag race experience you have got to read this. Very well done.

Danny you and I have this discussion quiet often and I do really miss those days, but It is really hard to replace the feeling you get at the track with your son helping tune and driving along with your grandsons checking air pressure cooling the radiator (12 years old and 4 years old). My wife and I still pulI this old race car down the road together just like we did for so many nights for almost 40 years. I told Roy Hill and Dickie Estavese (spelling ? "Daddy Warbucks") one Friday night at Z-Max that if I dropped dead right beside that car, they could tell everyone that I went home doing what I loved best.

Now, let me end this by saying that when I read Class Racer, National Dragster and other sites it seems that we are back in the old days. Many of you remember the days when the Chrysler Hemi moved on to the scene. Remember when we started altering the wheel base of the cars, adding scoops with tunnel rams.

Danny I do really miss the days of the "BIG" Gas and Modified race at Kinston Dragway every year.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Old days ///New days ?

Come to think of it these new days might just be the old days and repeating a little history.
I guess i may have been being a little selfish cause i do still love it , and helping my son and watching his son@4 years old not caring about nothing but our two race cars.when my grandchildren(2-boys @ 4 years old ) come visit all they want to do is ride in the stocker. I guess i have created 3 monsters that love the sport....