HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 4 Cyl Super Comp Cars ?

Im thinking youre right, Id rally just like a "fall back" class from Comp elim.

I always try to build in contingency plans and SC was the contingency.

The consistency on the 4 does scare me, I know its not there as much as a natural torque beast BB.

And I do wonder how a Turbo 4 will leave on a TB from the line, they like load and there wont be much at that point I dont think.....

Well maybe to 6.1 turbo hemi would make the backup plan I need....

And I agree, with the not being a killer combo in SC, ever.....but CAN it run is the question Ive got.....

Yall know me well enough by now to know while I talk about it Ill also actually TRY it, and put the effort into it Even if it is a futile excersise.... Doing it is the hard part, if it were easy everyone would do it right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Its probably that no one has has run a turbocharged 4 cylinder with any success ...that I know of...I don't have a problem with the altered body....or even the funny car body....but just remember super comp is probably the toughest class to win in. A big block dragster is extremely consistent and very fast. And they will be bearing down on you at big speeds or driving in front of you keeping a wheel on you.....and with that funny car body you probably won't be able to see them coming.....

Running 8.90 isn't probably a problem, but the 4 tenths tree might be....and throttle stopping a turbo car might be difficult.....remember this isn't stock or super stock....these cars are within 1 most of the time...they don't spin...they don't do anything stupid....and Ray charles is 00 from the grave...........in super stock...I'm thrilled with a 20 light...in super comp....I feel I missed it....

I don't think this is one of those deals where if you master it....you will have the killer unbeatable combo....it doesn't exist.....that's why its such a big deal to win more than 1 race....because its hard to win....

Plus....There's no qualifying...its random pairing for first round......I would be worried that there would be a staging lane accident.....trying to line up with you........lol

Just run it in comp and get used to it there......

Rock
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

There was aguy who ran a F/C in S/C back in the late 80's early 90's, had a big block in it for power if Im not mistaken.

I am all for new and inovative myself, there is alot of technology out now for the 4cyl that was not available say 10 years ago when every S/C dragster was deemed to have to have a BBC... We run ours with a SB Ford, and have often thought about a 4cyl comp setup. I for one can not afford Comp racing anymore... Did it many years ago when the average guy could build a car and engine and be somewhat competitive, now you have to run big power and I personally just cant afford the parts... If you have the means Comp is alot of fun, but then again so are the Super classes..

If it were me, I would put it all together start off with the Altered bosy just tog et a feel for the car and power level, than put the F/C body on it to see if it workes for you. You may end up liking the visibility of the altered more.

As for the T/S off the line on the turbo... instead of a throttle stop use a boost controller, this will allow you to put as much power as needed and slowly turn it up and have better control over you E.T's.

I also wold go with a 4-link setup, only because most true F/C's are designed to make well over 1500hp, to work as designed, less HP, you will need the 4-link to help the launch.

Hope this helps...

Ultimatly as I recal any form of racing is supposed to be FUN, so if havig a turbo 4cyl F/C racing in S/C is your idea of fun, then go for it...There are a few of us left who race just for the fun of going, IF we get lucky enough to go a few rounds and maybe even a win then that made a good day even better...
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Ultimatly as I recal any form of racing is supposed to be FUN, so if havig a turbo 4cyl F/C racing in S/C is your idea of fun, then go for it...There are a few of us left who race just for the fun of going, IF we get lucky enough to go a few rounds and maybe even a win then that made a good day even better...
Most awesome Freddie.....you go on my list of "People Who Get It "

The day it becomes a chore or no more fun is the day I lay my wrench down.

Now.....I like your thinking, and I have another question that came to me before I read this, I like the bleed of boost, also on a timer is it legal to pull timing or fuel ?

Can I do anything I want on a timer ? I hear guys running 3 or 4 timers....? Can a throttle stop "come in" at a later point so Im spooled all the way up ? All these things I have no idea, but I would really really like the Combo to be able to run both, and at least have a narrow chance.

The 6.1 Hemi puts it too high in the Comp Classes to be sane and affordable for me. Whereas a Mitsu Turbo engine is cheap, easy and can make 1000 hp and the block handle it. So....It also has the "New Blood" interest and Material sponsors who already sponsor everything from Drift to Rally, but well you dont see many Mitsu turbo engines in NHRA racing even though they are in the guides and kosher. Like I said I think the engine would attract the "New Blood" in terms of sponsorship and fans, and the Flopper body, the older guys like me who still remeber Jungle Jim and The Snake and Mongoose posters and fan cards hanging on their bedroom walls.

The 4 link makes a little more sense now as it will not be launching anywhere near as hard as blown alky hemi

ONE Of the cars I am looking at has a Fiat Altered body on it now, and the plan was as you suggested, but to later drop the Arrow body on it.

One thing about a "Cross Class" car that worries me also is the Alky issue , I can run it in Comp on the 4 cyl combo, but not in SC ? Or can I ? Obviously a wholly different setup , injectors, probably have to 2 stage it to get volume, etc etc...?
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Old 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris "drooze" Wertman View Post

ONE Of the cars I am looking at has a Fiat Altered body on it now, and the plan was as you suggested, but to later drop the Arrow body on it.

One thing about a "Cross Class" car that worries me also is the Alky issue , I can run it in Comp on the 4 cyl combo, but not in SC ? Or can I ? Obviously a wholly different setup , injectors, probably have to 2 stage it to get volume, etc etc...?
Is the Altered with the Arrow body owned by a guy named Bob, by any chance?

As for the fuel question I always thought it was the other way around almost any fuel acceptable in the super classes, but racing gas only in comp with few exceptions....

As for the timming.boost thing, that would be a question for a NHRA tech guy, or someone more knowladgable than me I am afraid, I have been told my Super class car can not run up on the high side chip at 1000' so Im not sure as far as electronics and stops what is and is not legal. I just race for the fun of it anyway....Three day races are more like a camping trip for us with a few passes down the track as a bonus....
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope not Bob, one fellow has the body, another the Chassis, the fellow with the Chassis is not a racer and worked it on trade and took a bath on it, he knows it. But its all new....so....its actually a FC Fiat body , but could be channeled into an altered body (2 sep sections, front and rear)

H and I of where Im "Thinking" the car will run I can run Alky....there is a special provision for that on 4 poppers...in Altered anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Is the Altered with the Arrow body owned by a guy named Bob, by any chance?

As for the fuel question I always thought it was the other way around almost any fuel acceptable in the super classes, but racing gas only in comp with few exceptions....

As for the timming.boost thing, that would be a question for a NHRA tech guy, or someone more knowladgable than me I am afraid, I have been told my Super class car can not run up on the high side chip at 1000' so Im not sure as far as electronics and stops what is and is not legal. I just race for the fun of it anyway....Three day races are more like a camping trip for us with a few passes down the track as a bonus....
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
S/G 386N

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to S/G 386N

Figuring out a way to set up a throttle stop might be tricky, but I think the first thing you would need to figure out is staging. A lot of big hp turbo cars have big turbos. Big turbos take time to spool up. If you can figure out a way to get the boost levels up very quick in order to hit the tree, you might be ok. Or be able to keep the rpms up while you're creeping into the staging lights. I think that would be the biggest issue. Other than that, you can always run an air cylinder on the throttle and use that as a stop, but then you run into issue where when you're on the stop, rpms will drop too much, and you lose boost.

I've thought about doing this as well. I'm into the GMC Syclones and Typhoons, and have a Ty myself. There are a couple 1200 - 1400hp 4.3 turbo motors out there. Slapping one of them into a dragster could be very fun, and I don't think it would be competitive in a super class. Top dragster maybe.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
yikes...not a clue when he was a stocker racer and even less now

Ya show do have a way with words my man.

It can probably be done.........with LOT$ & LOT$ of time and LOT$ & LOT$ of money. But best case scenario it could only be as competitive as what’s out there now….. and as someone else said many cars in S/C are within .01et and they are killing the tree.

Fun?

Sure I guess?

But I would be inclined to think that if you’re going to make that move and still beat the snot out of 4cyl ? Why not just take that dough and time developing something new and step up your comp program a bit more?

Hell there are half the cars in the field and the packages in S/C I would think are much tighter (I'm sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong).

“I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ***, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.”

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/P...my-Boy-p10.jpg

Last edited by Ruth; 08-01-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
Div 4 Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drooze,

First off, my disclaimer as I mostly just like to read the posts here, as I am just a fan of class racing and have no mechanical background to speak of.

We met the real nice fellow at the Houston National who was running a 6 cylinder Cummins turbo diesel funny car in Super Comp. He was pitted across from a friend of mine. (sorry I don't have a better pic)

I can remember him telling us he could not run a throttle stop since he had to spool up his turbos to leave the line, and he would go off and on the stop it would blow them up. Also, his opponents would take their time staging, letting his turbos heat up,which would mess with his set up. The guys goal was to win a round at a national event, he almost won the first round in Houston - he is just in it to have fun. The car, he told us, was capable of running mid to high 7's.

Good luck, enjoy you adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	4255  
Div 4 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
don R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bring it.
don R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
voltdr

Liked 92 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris "drooze" Wertman View Post

The day it becomes a chore or no more fun is the day I lay my wrench down.

Now.....I like your thinking, and I have another question that came to me before I read this, I like the bleed of boost, also on a timer is it legal to pull timing or fuel ?

Can I do anything I want on a timer ? I hear guys running 3 or 4 timers....? Can a throttle stop "come in" at a later point so Im spooled all the way up ? All these things I have no idea, but I would really really like the Combo to be able to run both, and at least have a narrow chance.

The 6.1 Hemi puts it too high in the Comp Classes to be sane and affordable for me. Whereas a Mitsu Turbo engine is cheap, easy and can make 1000 hp and the block handle it. So....It also has the "New Blood" interest and Material sponsors who already sponsor everything from Drift to Rally, but well you dont see many Mitsu turbo engines in NHRA racing even though they are in the guides and kosher. Like I said I think the engine would attract the "New Blood" in terms of sponsorship and fans, and the Flopper body, the older guys like me who still remeber Jungle Jim and The Snake and Mongoose posters and fan cards hanging on their bedroom walls.

The 4 link makes a little more sense now as it will not be launching anywhere near as hard as blown alky hemi

Yes you can have multiple timers, BUT only one delay/timer box. Also it is legal to add/remove timing while on the stop. You just cannot have the delay box connected "directly" to the ignition box. You can use a micro-switch on the T/S to tell the ignition when to add or remove timing. So when the T/S is activated it will retard or advance the timing. This is also good if you use a MSD Digital 7 box because you can ramp the timing back in over a specific time period instead of all at once. This will help trying to spin the tires out in the middle of the track.
There are only a few real issues.
1. Can it run 8.90
2. Can it cut a light on a .4 tree.
3. Most of the things you can do or have on your car in SC, are not legal in Comp.
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote