Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Didnt I see you on TV the other day repoping an old ladys car and she was beating up on the camera crew.......lol.
LOL , That was not me , but i did get run over one time by a Mustang(actually fished tailed and throwed me about 10 feet)." Don't " beleive what you see on TV .,.,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,.,.,,
Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,774 Times in 868 Posts

Agree with the opinions on the economy; but ultimately it has to be the confidence we've lost that the current government is going to turn the ship or if in fact they are even interested in doing that. Until we all get involved and elect people that represent true American values and rewarding people for hard work instead of inventing new reasons for entitlements the confidence will continue to plummet, and racers will be less inclined to spend their discretionary dollars.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

How many excuses do you want?

1. I did some thing stupid screwed up an engine.
2. Fixed screw up. Then had head come off a valve really screwing up the engine.
3. Then took over raising my grandson. Man has daycare gotten expensive. I could easily build a really nice engine with a year of daycare money. But he is worth every penny and I would not have it any other way.
4. Last year 2 surgery’s and 4 months in a nursing home was my whole summer shot.
5. This year we are working on it new motor is done but still have other work to do. We hope to have the car out some time this year to at least hit a combo race in Marion or Brainerd.
6. The economy has not helped at all. We have managed to keep going with cut back hours. That part is looking better things are picking up at work and we are even back to some overtime
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

While I understand the issues reguarding money, both cost of going and payout. And I know that class racers are a very proud bunch. My opinion is that it is easier to talk yourself out of going more now than it used to be. The fire of competing is dwindling down as we get older. This is a sure sign that you are getting older. I feel this myself at 54 years old, but the fire burns on as strong as ever. I am building a car for Super/Stock at my own pace, and do all of the work myself (one person team, design, fabricating, paint, body, engine assembly, electrical, etc ). I'll be lucky to see -.3 under the index, but that's enough to light the "W" on my side in most cases. My point is that you can race for half the cost, if you want to. I can scale back, and back, and back some more but I'll keep going. If I did'nt, well I guess it did'nt mean that much to me anyway. Racers have a tough time going to the races without their car (as a fan), I don't. NHRA, IHRA, Local ET, I still give support to the sport!

Wade Mahaffey

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 07-02-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
dug283

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Expensive $$$$, I agree with everyone else post. And would like to add, after spending $$$ and winning a 1st round race then losing the 2nd round. We still leave empty handed... 1st round $$ would help a bit and give some incentive. Also the class prize $$ is not reflecting collected entries. Racers cost are rising, but the prize $$ is not or racers income. Compared to bracket racing at any of the local tracks, which I only do to get ready for class racing. I race for 800.00 - 500.00 prize $$, completed in the same day at a cost of $100, entry fee being 25.00 - 30.00. There are some other issues to deal with bracket racing, but my point is expense vs possible income. I love clas racing, but my wife looks at it from a math point of view.
dug283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
While I understand the issues reguarding money, both cost of going and payout. And I know that class racers are a very proud bunch. My opinion is that it is easier to talk yourself out of going more now than it used to be. The fire of competing is dwindling down as we get older. This is a sure sign that you are getting older. I feel this myself at 54 years old, but the fire burns on as strong as ever. I am building a car for Super/Stock at my own pace, and do all of the work myself (one person team, design, fabricating, paint, body, engine assembly, electrical, etc ). I'll be lucky to see -.3 under the index, but that's enough to light the "W" on my side in most cases. My point is that you can race for half the cost, if you want to. I can scale back, and back, and back some more but I'll keep going. If I did'nt, well I guess it did'nt mean that much to me anyway. Racers have a tough time going to the races without their car (as a fan), I don't. NHRA, IHRA, Local ET, I still give support to the sport!

Wade Mahaffey
You are fortunate Wade. Not everyone has the talents and shop that you have to construct a car from the ground up. From the pictures I see on this site your Corvette is first class all the way. Cant wait to see it when finished. as you know Im a Corvette nut anyway. The number of races and race tracks (both IHRA and NHRA) in your area (I used to live near you) is about as good as it gets for a certified car nut except maybe where Mike Beard lives....lol. The job situation is better in the D.C. metro area though by far. The guys and gals further out west dont have it so good. Tracks are farther apart and IHRA dosent even exist in most areas. Even here in Florida the travel distance is greater (1 1/2 hours one way here instead of 10 miles) meaning more travel time and expense.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 07-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

For the longest time I always wondered how a blue collar type racer could make it these days racing. Lets face it to run a divisional anymore if you live 2 hours away your looking at $600 plus to leave the driveway.
OK lets see, if a person is making lets say $800 a week, average person has house payments, kids, food bill, electric, ect, ect. Well going racing every week isn't getting it done unless you win once in a while and we all know round money don't pay crap anymore. So people not racing and car counts down doesn't surprise me at all anymore. I am doing a story in the next Drag Racing Action Magazine talking about all the SS/Stock series around the country and how they are another avenue to race at if you can not afford the NHRA/IHRA national and divisional events.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Living in New England will do it to you (No tracks and land is expensive). Grew up having a ton of tracks nearby in Ohio/Michigan and the same when living in VA.

Plus the D1 races are to far from the Boston area (5-8 hour ride to attend most of the divisionals). Anchored in with the inlaws, so it's going to be tough racing elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

Nitro Joe you need to do another S/SS combo in Houston like a few years ago. it was cool and I know alot of guys would come out for it. Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When there is a question (big question) on the current and future economy, we have to make decisions. I love racing as much as anyone. When I was single, it was 3 days a week plus... Now, Jim Carter hit some of it on the head... what is going to happen? Does the government want things to be "fixed"...?

I am blessed to have a good job now, and I am being careful with my money, as we never know what tomorrow brings. I am having to balance my time and spending with wife and kids wants and needs. They like the races, but not as much as I do! I have had my new project down the track, still have some things to do to it, but it is close. I do not have anywhere near the talents or resources that Wade has, but I have built this car myself. Yes, it has taken a lot longer, and maybe not perfect, but I will keep working on it. Will have new chrome and paint someday, but not this year, etc. I have a crate motor in it now, and the Pontiac motor core sitting in the shed... will be a while probably. I can run IHRA stuff when I have a few close, and bracket race some. Better than sitting and crying...

I am a long time NHRA member, raced with them long before I ever knew about IHRA... with that said, NHRA is still stupid with their big money, in my opinion. Higher fees, not as friendly overall to sportsmen. Yes, can win more $ with them, but when you add it all up, not much more if any.

While I would love to blame the contigency companies for not paying and that being a reason, I do understand they are struggling also. I would say this is one area that either N or I could help... beat the bushes and get more contigency money on the paper, and do not make it so complicated to get paid. I would rather have 3 pay easy and quick at $100 than have to fight with one for $300???

Lastly... it is hot! Please drink a lot of Gatorade! If you have not tried it, go buy some of the "G2" Gatorade. Less sugar, no HFCS and lighter - crisper taste! (guess what I make for a living!)

Hope everyone has a great holiday and God bless our troops!

Ken Graham
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote