HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
curtis hieb

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: small home shop heater

I have a shop like yours I use a PTAC unit like they have in hotels works great and you have A/C too. http://templates.earthstores.com/127...F6E&cat=437664
curtis hieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DAMN! I want that!
Thats the way to go for sure
Old 11-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #13
Paul Doyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Larry I got a 30X40 shop with 16 foot peak. Big enough for my log truck. I use the electric heater from northern tool like T Hall is talking about. For my shop its a little small. Works ok the maintane temperture.
I also have one of those little propane burning torpedo style heaters that I use to knock the chill off.About 30 minutes of it running is all it takes, in these cold north Louisiana winters. I'm north of Shreveport.
Paul Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 684 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hall View Post
The 220 volts help keep the cost down compaired to 110 v.
I can understand how a 220v heater could be more powerful but are they really more efficient than 110v heaters?

I have a well insulated 35 x 12 shop that is attached to the house. I have a very old Arvin 1650/1300 watt 110v heater that will warm it up and keep it warm even if very cold outside. However I don't like to run it on the 1650 setting real long because it will heat the power cord up also.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I can understand how a 220v heater could be more powerful but are they really more efficient than 110v heaters?

I have a well insulated 35 x 12 shop that is attached to the house. I have a very old Arvin 1650/1300 watt 110v heater that will warm it up and keep it warm even if very cold outside. However I don't like to run it on the 1650 setting real long because it will heat the power cord up also.

Bill
You pay for kilowatt hours, and watts are watts, no matter what the voltage.
The efficiency of 220 over 110 is less loss from the heat of the wiring, as the wires get hot, the current resistance rises.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Any form of heat whether electric, oil or gas presents a few issues. Most unit require that you have a" no pile" zone 36" from the heat source( you can't stack anything in that area). If you plan to do any maintence, the fumes from brake clean, lacquer thinner, etc are a real source for ignition. Open element heat units, like electric, naturally attract dust and when this lays on the elements, SHOUT FIRE. The torpedo heaters, propane or kero, are very loud and spit fire from time to time. The best source for heat is any unit that takes combustion air from the outside. They usually have thermostats and blower motors and has less of a "no pile" zone. Propane or nat. gas is the best and the units that use heating fuel are OK. The waste oil heaters are a pain and don't burn syn. oils very well. Electric heaters are alright if you can mount them high in the ceiling, 12' w/a 4' cushion before the ceiling. I have had 4 shops in 15 yrs. and the gas throught the wall is the best and safest. I also spray in my shop and safety is my main concern
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts
Exclamation Re: small home shop heater

Geo thermal is the way to go if you can afford it especially for a New construction---I put one in my house and garage with both radiant heat in the floors as well as hot air heat thru ducts---The only "utility" cost I have now is my electric bill. The whole system will pay for itself by way of reduced utility costs in 24-28 months--After that my utility cost ahould be a min of 60% to as much as 80% below what it would have cost for Natural gas usage--Also heat my hot water this way too--Remember the earth 150 feet down is a consatant 56-58 degrees year round an inexhaustible supply of heat Check it out its the wave of the future NOW---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
Darcy Clarke

Liked 422 Times in 29 Posts

What are the input costs of Geo? What is all the equipment needed? How far down do you have to drill? What is the life of the equipment and wells?

Thanks
Darcy
6254 Stk
Darcy Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good grief! This guy just wants some cheap heat for his shop.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: small home shop heater

My pick would also be the Dayton Electric heater. Propane is sky high in price, natural gas is about the same, and a fuel oil/diesel torpedo isn't much better and a bit hard on fuel. In east Texas with the weather being in the 40-50° F range, the electric will knock the chill out of the air just fine. You will see that the comfortable working temperature will be in the 60-65°F range.