HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
Chuck Porter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: ALUMINUM vs. STEEL/Aluminum TRAILERS

Thanks a lot for the info.
I have a pretty good handle on what to look for when shopping for a trailer as I have built several myself over the years.
I was mainly curious about the weight thing between the two types.
My last trailer was a 36 foot Pace gooseneck. I bought it used and it was a good trailer. I've had some dealings with Pace in the past and haven't had any problems.
I wanted to explore other options.
In the past, a lot of guys have told me how great their aluminum trailers are and how light they are to tow compared to a regular trailer. I wanted to hear some opinions from others.
Chuck
Chuck Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Ryan Willie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a goldrush and its great trailer. They hold there value good and they don't fall apart. If you have the money a good aluminum trailer is the way to go. If you're getting a 28' or 30' a tri-axle is the way to go.
Ryan Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I hate to hear about problems with ATC. I asked around before I bought mine and heard nothing but good. I can tell you my 24' ATC is much lighter than a friend's steel 22'. Tows much easier with less fuel, same car (mine) inside. The steel 24' trailers I looked were said to weigh like 4700 lbs? My ATC weighs 3100 lbs. Finished inside with upper and lower cabinets. I like it much better than the 28' pace I used to own, but admittedly that was in 1987/1990. Fit, finish and overall workmanship is much nicer than the 28' Pace I had. Pace may be nicer now also, haven't looked a new one over lately. I figured the way fuel prices were going up the resale for an aluminium trailer would be better. I have had zero problems with my ATC, but it's only one season old. Also I've never lost money on a race trailer. Just try to keep it nice and clean.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #14
casper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Chuck ... for the record , our 49' Goldrush , with two cars , 2 scooters , and all of the spares that Tom has accumulated over the years , weighs the same as his 40' Bigfoot did with one car ... and over the last 4 years , has required zero maintenance outside of normal wear items i.e. bearings, brakes .

Mike
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Chuck,

Aluminum is definitely the way to go! We bought a 28 ft. Continental Cargo with the smooth siding (and no fasteners) and saved about 900 lbs. over a friends 28 ft. steel Pace Trailer. The tow over the Coquihalla Highway into Mission is pleasurable vs. the heavy steel "box." The smooth siding makes it easier to clean and something I would recommend to anybody looking to purchase a new trailer.

The only maintenance we have completed over the past 3 years was repack the bearings and check the brakes.

We are actually in the neighborhood for a 5th wheel with living quarters and have the 28 ft. for sale if you know anybody who is looking for a clean trailer.

Good luck in your search!

Mike Ferstl
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Jimmy R Parker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gents, I am surprised Featherlite trailers has not been mentioned during this discussion, I bought a new all aluminum 24' Featherlite ten years ago and it has been absolutely perfect. I couldn't tell the difference between my Puckett open trailer that I previously used and the Featherlite when towing behind my motor home. Before I bought the Featherlite I tried a steel Haulmark 24' for one race and the weight of it absolutely killed my motor home and convinced me that a light weight trailer was worth the additional expense.

Jimmy Parker
Jimmy R Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
Dave Ribeiro
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Thumbs up Re: ALUMINUM vs. STEEL/Aluminum TRAILERS

Chuck,

Jimmy & Ed are right on about Alum Trailers, They weigh an avg. of 1,300-1,700 lbs less than a steel frame trailer...Tougue & frame is most of the weight.. I have bought and sold many trailers, Alum. is the way to go, both for gas savings + resale in the future... Most people who buy a cheaper trailer, always wish they had spent a few more dollars in the long run.... I don't think you can go wrong with, Alum, ATC, Featherlite, Pace, etc, Just make sure you compare apples to apples on Alum trailers.. Remember your TOW RIG will thank you , by giving you much better mileage... Good Luck....... Don't forget the RV-455...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
rb1941

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how about haulmark all aluninum . think those were built by Exiss.
rb1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #19
winstonindy

Well before moving south from Vermont around 5 years ago I sold trailers in New England. Featherlite, Exiss, Pace, Classic, and even Gold Rush. I personally purchased a 32' Featherlite gooseneck in I think fall of 1999. It was one of the very first 4940 models to roll out of Iowa. (Bumper pull model is the 4926 if I remember correctly) I pulled mine with a 3/4 ton Chevy. No duals. It towed like a dream, but obviously was cheapened up a bit for the price point. It was a Monday-Friday trailer. (You can tell on the VIN # what day of the week it was completed) The workers left it on Friday, finished it on Monday. They never finished sealing the roof, and the first good rain my race car got a shower. It had diamond plate flooring that egg-crated between the crossmembers due to the weight of the car. My aluminum ramp extensions also cracked at the hinges. Now being a dealer I did get warranty repairs without questions!
That all aside I towed many different brands of trailers to NHRA, IHRA, Nascar, and racing events all over the northeast. Without a doubt the best trailer for quality and ease of towing is a Gold Rush. If you can afford one, even a used one, it will be money well spent. In the north all aluminum is the way to go. If you have any specific questions feel free to sent me a message. I still have good contacts at the dealers I worked for in Connecticut & Mass.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are going to go with a 28-30 tag, you might as well spent a few more $ and get a 38' gooseneck (providing you have a truck to pull it with). The overall length is within a foot or so (truck and trailer) and it will get you better fuel mileage. At least it did with my truck.