HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Wink Re: SBC cylinder wall thicknesses?

Bub Pro-Motion machine here in jackson dose it for that. Thing is Ted works by himself @ his house so not much overhead...he has about a 3 week trun around most of the time. You also have to rember here in southern Ohio most people will not pay that to have a engine fixed. If they do it's just for one cyl.

Last edited by greg fulk; 09-29-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: lack of paying att. sorry Bub
greg fulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
Paul Precht

Liked 242 Times in 94 Posts
Default Re: SBC cylinder wall thicknesses?

Back in the mid 70s I was boring 12-15 Chevy motors a day and the wall thickness was very erratic. Large air pockets or core shift were not uncommon in a simple .030 over 350. I was getting 80 a cylinder to sleeve a block in labor only back in the 90s and I was the cheapest around, Paul.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
Bub Whitaker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just love it when they spell my name right...
Bub Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

During my days in the engine building business.......I soniced many blocks and we also hardness tested them. There was a big difference in hardness on small blocks no matter what year they were from. A softer block was usually not as good an engine as a harder block, even if the thickness was good. Most blocks marked with the 010 as everybody knows were usually better. Core shift can easily be spotted at the cam hole and the machined area around it. If the machined area appears to be not concentric with the cam hole....you have a block with core shift and not only will the cylinders be off so will the crank centerline in relation to the bottom of the block. If you have a stroker crank like for a 383 SB buildup and turn it over with a rod and piston and check your rod to bottom of block clearances side to side....you'd see what I'm talking about......Bub.....seems like everyone always thinks engine building/ machining should be cheap. I guess they haven't noticed how many shops are no longer in business either......... Bub, I got your name right and I don't even know you but I know your reputation for building very strong running Stocker engines....
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question Re: SBC cylinder wall thicknesses?

Rich Ted dosen't build engines! When you pick your stuff up it's apart...he is just a machinest. He's made a living for the last 12 years doing this so he can't be to bad.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #16
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Greg...I made a living for well over 10 years doing mostly machine work. We did almost everything and that included supplying parts and engines in any stage of completion for any venue out there. We also did machine work for other engine builders from our area. I usually had 2 machines going at once if possible....Milling something and boring a block at the same time. We also had an engine dyno although it was an older static type. Staying in that business became more and more difficult for us as well as many other shops in my area and most are gone. I would be more than happy to be locked in a small shop working by myself machining engines but in todays economic climate that is just not real attractive. I guess it still "sticks in my craw" that I am not able to work in that area......I loved that environment and worked many hours at it......