HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,317 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: S/SS - Lower the index -0.50 & run Pro ladder

I don't want to lose the performance part of the stock racing, but we couldn't get the indexes lowered back to the old indexes of old. I doubt if such a radical change is on the horizon. It is difficult to do any of it by pounding on a keyboard with an alias also. Maybe a call to your Div rep could start the review process for change. One thing that could be done by had to be there is that she could sponsor and run a quick 32 type race that could be run heads up no breakout. that would be cool, but would take some action on her part.

If I could change the format, I would lower the indexes .2 and in Nat's that have less than a full field allowed, then only qualify 64. For example, if the quota is 80 then use a 64 car field. It would have to be known in advance so folks could plan. I think Indy worked out ok, but it would have been a better move to make the changes before anyone had entered. The timing of the change was not well planned or executed.

I am not sure about the proposed change process, but I would think that any propsal should go to the Div reps or directors to be reviewed for 2009. It seems as if the Div reps are merely the unpaid meat in the sandwich right now. If anyone knows who seems to be guiding the group of div reps that would be helpful too. Seems like there is no NHRA person responsible that is visable to the customers. (I mean racers)

My 2 cents. Maybe one cent.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Joe DeMarzo

Liked 114 Times in 9 Posts

Stock-Super stock is part bracket racing, part performance racing. If you think it is just bracket racing tell the guys who actually went to Indy and did not make the field because they did not have the performance or lost heads up in eliminations.. Most keyboard racers have no idea how hard it is to go fast and then dial your car for the next round. A lot of the racers who did not make the field at Indy are darn good racers not bracket racers. They are not crying on this site, guys who do not go are the ones crying. The winners in Stk/SS race more NHRA/IHRA events than bracket races, get off the computer and work on your car and then your driving. Maybe next we can talk about after market heads again and again and again and again.......
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Troy Henderson

Liked 111 Times in 35 Posts

I nice stepping stone would be to run qualifying off our index. It doesn't hurt anyone but brings a little more performance back to the classes.
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

we can only run ..9 under and still think running off of a real index would be more exciting and real to the fans. the local dirt track boys do not dial in and they have way bigger crows than local dragstrips. bracket racing is not racing, it is consistency driving.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

we can only run ..9 under and still think running off of a real index would be more exciting and real to the fans. the local dirt track boys do not dial in and they have way bigger crowds than local dragstrips. bracket racing is not racing, it is consistency driving.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Post Re: S/SS - Lower the index -0.50 & run Pro ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urraco View Post
Actually we are suffering from the days when it was real racing and not what it has become today.
Unfortunately, I would bet that if class racing would have been heads-up or run flat out against respective indexes, it would have lost many racers and disappeared many years ago. It's simply a matter of economics.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
we can only run ..9 under and still think running off of a real index would be more exciting and real to the fans. the local dirt track boys do not dial in and they have way bigger crowds than local dragstrips. bracket racing is not racing, it is consistency driving.
If the format changed to running off the index how many 1st rd. losses because you're only .90 under would it take to convince you to stop beating your head against the wall and going to surrender?

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #18
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urraco View Post
Kip Martin SS/L 1964 Mustang.
Kip;
Now that I know your identity I know that you have been at it a long time and your opinion is more that credable,but I still disagree about lowering .50.Just the money bags racers will stay and it would become Comp Jr.

Ed F.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #19
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Henderson View Post
I nice stepping stone would be to run qualifying off our index. It doesn't hurt anyone but brings a little more performance back to the classes.

If you mean handicap qualifying runs off the indexes, we do that at Div 4 points races right now. It is fun, and interesting.

I would be for dropping the Super Stock indexes 1/2 second. Have no opinion on Stock. 1.05 under is the best I have been so far, but would still be in favor of it.

I would also be in favor of the higher qualifier getting lane choice instead of a coin flip.

It doesn't always cost money to go faster, much of it comes testing and working on the car more.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #20
Troy Henderson

Liked 111 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
If you mean handicap qualifying runs off the indexes, we do that at Div 4 points races right now. It is fun, and interesting.
Yes!
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote