HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2024, 10:21 PM   #11
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 3,118 Times in 681 Posts
Default Re: Hurricane Helene

On the coast here in NC we are all to familiar with hurricanes but the devastation we are seeing in the mountains is unbelievable. The pure destruction and force of water can be unbelievable but when you put that water in that terrain it's unlike anything we have seen here on the coast.
I implore anyone that is able to please help in any way you can. I saw a quote today from the highschool football coach in Asheville and I'm paraphrasing a little here but he basically however bad it appears in the pictures you're seeing on the news, it's even worse.
There are a lot of people out there doing there best to help but I've taken notice of a couple in particular. Greg Biffle the former NASCAR racer and many of you know Cleatus McFarland from Bradenton have both been using their helicopters to bring in supplies and evacuate people. Kudos to those two and the many more that are putting their selves in harms way to help their fellow Americans in a time of need.
Old 09-30-2024, 01:23 AM   #12
Mike Schwartz

Liked 205 Times in 70 Posts
Unhappy Re: Hurricane Helene

My brother and nephew are in Asheville. They are OK and suffered no damage, but electricity and water are out and cell coverage is spotty. Some of the pictures he posted are pretty grim: a bridge blocked by a half-dozen uprooted trees that were lifted up and deposited by the river; a gas station with the whole side of another building just dumped in the parking lot.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-30-2024, 08:45 AM   #13
JP1738

Liked 491 Times in 154 Posts

I live out in Shelby, NC, near Shadyside dragway and right in the foothills of the mountains. While the destruction here was pretty bad it's nothing close to what the mountains have gone through in the last 5 days. Even here we are not expected to get power back until the end of the week at best. No time table at all for the mountaineers.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-30-2024, 11:26 AM   #14
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,513 Times in 638 Posts

Thanks to all the racers that have posted about their particular situation. Praying that we hear from more racers in this area as soon as they are able. Some areas are hit hard and some not so much. The death toll is above 100 at this point and, I am sure will climb much higher. I have seen some pictures and videos of the destruction and all I can say is WOW - unbelievable.

Prayers are continuing from me and MANY others for the people in this area for a recovery as soon as possible. May God be with you ALL.

Added note, Just saw a description of the area around Asheville - - - "biblical devastation"

Last edited by Carguy49; 09-30-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-30-2024, 12:01 PM   #15
Julie Jordan

Liked 355 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
On the coast here in NC we are all to familiar with hurricanes but the devastation we are seeing in the mountains is unbelievable. The pure destruction and force of water can be unbelievable but when you put that water in that terrain it's unlike anything we have seen here on the coast.
I implore anyone that is able to please help in any way you can. I saw a quote today from the highschool football coach in Asheville and I'm paraphrasing a little here but he basically however bad it appears in the pictures you're seeing on the news, it's even worse.
There are a lot of people out there doing there best to help but I've taken notice of a couple in particular. Greg Biffle the former NASCAR racer and many of you know Cleatus McFarland from Bradenton have both been using their helicopters to bring in supplies and evacuate people. Kudos to those two and the many more that are putting their selves in harms way to help their fellow Americans in a time of need.
Do you know of a good local organization to donate to? I?m not a big fan of Red Cross, etc., too much administrative expenses in those big groups.
Old 09-30-2024, 12:11 PM   #16
ProfessorRock

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

A place to donate-CBN's Operation Blessing might be a good place since they are based in N C.
Old 09-30-2024, 12:30 PM   #17
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 3,118 Times in 681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Jordan View Post
Do you know of a good local organization to donate to? I?m not a big fan of Red Cross, etc., too much administrative expenses in those big groups.
Yes Julie you are correct about that and I always recommend Samaritan's Purse for donations. I know several people that are involved in that organization and they were huge when my town was ravaged during Florence in 2018. Below is the link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xdQ2942E_sPFoz

Last edited by HR9121; 09-30-2024 at 12:33 PM.
HR9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2024, 01:08 PM   #18
Eman

Liked 116 Times in 67 Posts

I'm in E TN, my county did OK just trees down and power outages, down to the last 1,000 homes with no power today. South of me is devastated, towns under water no power or water. WNC is really bad, friends and relatives there. World Kitchen just set up and is operating in Asheville. Helicopters bringing supplies to areas that are cut off completely. Roads and bridges are destroyed and interstates 26 and 40 are closed.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2024, 01:50 PM   #19
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,936 Times in 903 Posts

X a million for Samaritan?s Purse. They helped out in the Savannah area when Hurricane Debbie recently caused unprecedented flooding.

FYI the D2 National Open double for this weekend was canceled. The Augusta area took a hard hit as well.
Set another place at the table
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2024, 04:45 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 687 Times in 214 Posts
Cool Re: Hurricane Helene

Salvation Army,hands down. They always help everybody at a disaster, and they don't charge for do nuts, coffee, and sandwiches for the volunteer workers, unlike some groups.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote