HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: NHRA Confirms Kurt Busch Entry

Why not just charge double if no grade points.At least that would save dragging out to a race with a rental or whatever to get a grade point. If the field is not full then get on the double buy list. Ain't it all about money anyway. Just my .02.

Last edited by danny waters sr; 03-06-2010 at 01:08 PM.
danny waters sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Jody Lang

Liked 81 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Confirms Kurt Busch Entry

Grade points? Grade points?

I thought you could send in your money to the Division office and get a grade point.

Of course its all about money. Seen many a car enter and get a grade point for Stock that wouldnt pass tech. According to the Stock rules.

Then you have the fuel check BS. Why is it several of us have been DQ'd in qualifying for fuel that wont pass by .01 or whatever, yet a Rental car or a daily driver can get a grade point with straight unleaded??? None the less getting a grade point without ever staging the car....

Sorry for hitchhiking on your thread Kurt.
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kurt Busch spent the money to build a SG car, went and trained for a competetion license at the R. Hill school...says he loves the sport. Gators SG class wasn't even filled anyway.....his entry should be welcomed by all others in SG cause it'll get the class some exposure for sure---a little TV and media coverage can't hurt Sportsman racing for sure.....I wish him luck....just my .02....WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny waters sr View Post
Why not just charge double if no grade points.At least that would save dragging out to a race with a rental or whatever to get a grade point. If the field is not full then get on the double buy list. Ain't it all about money anyway. Just my .02.
I like your idea to double charge the guy with no grade points. Sorta, kinda like a 'buy back' at some of the bracket events I've raced at. At one track they allowed one buy back with either a 1st round or 2nd round loss. I remember I made it to the 5th round only to loose to the same guy I beat in the first round.
hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have not problem with Kurt racing if he meets the rules. I was treated the same way. I race all over the country in the 60's and 70's quit in 1972. I had a car, worked hard to get it complete at the same time Z-Max opened only to be told I could not enter unless I had grade points. This is just not right.
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Hemiparts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If someone got pushed out for him to get in or someone who had grade points lost a spot to him, then I agree with everyones argument. But, keep in mind guys with car counts already low if you have too many races with not enough cars when the NHRA looks @ the class you may find yourself being completely left out of some events, to be replaced by a class the draws full fields. My .02 worth
Hemiparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #17
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts

I think a lot of people are mistaken about Kurt Busch building a car for Super Gas. The couple of articles which I read about his little venture seem to describe his Challenger as a street-legal car with stupid amounts of horsepower. I mean, who builds a Super Gas car with a turbo if you are only gonna throttle-stop it?

I have a feeling that he had the car built to be a fast street car that he can take to the track every now and then. Then when he waltzed over to the NHRA to ask about getting his turn at racing, they realized the rulebook was already out and they couldn't make up a class for him to race in, so they stuck him there just to get their 15 minutes of free publicity. I could just imagine the office blabber-mouth who started to say "Hey Kurt, maybe they have a class for you in the NMC.........(smack)".

Sorry Super Gas / sportsman racers, you aren't going to get one second of coverage beyond whoever happens to be in the other lane or the lucky soul who drives by his pit while he's being interviewed. This isn't going to make hundreds or thousands of fans flock to the races to see sportsman racing or bring any one of you a new sponsor. They are coming to see a celebrity play around with his new car and when said celebrity is done doing his gimmick the fans leave. More likely then not his fans will leave pi$$ed off and confused why he went a 9.15 and lost to a slower car that stalled right off the starting line (no knock on the 9.90 cars intended).

In my opinion they should have just booked him as an exhibition, that way no real competitors are screwed over (in terms of him getting in w/o grade points). Bring in a few fast street cars that run about the same ET and run them in between the pros.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #18
pro318

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just my 2 cents i don't why u guys keep supporting nhra when they keep giving it to you with no lube. go support ihra they don't want you to have these money grabbing grade points. yes it might be a step back for abit but ihra will improve and contuine to favor us sportsman racers. tell nhra to go pound sand.
pro318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
Rick Blake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidup View Post
Hey Rick. Jerry here and I hear ya, but let me throw my .02 in about grade points. The last time I raced in stock was back in 77. I've ran bracket's ever since and until this year, I didn't even know what a grade point was or how to even get one. Building a new 5.7 Drag Pak for stock opened up a whole new world for me as far as new rules that weren't implemented back in 77. I really want to get the car to BIR this Aug, but found out that I'll need at least 1 grade point to enter. After researching, I found that I can get a grade point at a local open, but thats in May and I don't think the engine will be done in time. So then I decided to throw a stock 5.7 out of a Ram into the car, pass tech, qualify above the index, just to get a grade point. Then I find out that I don't need to run the actual car for a grade point, so I then decide to trailer up either the 65 Plymouth or 64 Dodge to the show, pass tech, get the grade point, trailer up and go home without even making a pass. Then I find out I can actually drive a rental car to the open, pass tech, get the grade point, then drive home without making a pass. I understand rules are rules, but to me, if all it takes to enter most nationals is 1 grade point, why even bother. If the field isn't full, I feel anyone should be able to enter without any grade points on a first come, first serve bases. I say let Bush race and see what happens. Hopefully he'll get some good media coverage and promote this wonderful sport.
Jerry I totally agree, but that's not how the rules read now....I believe in this economy they should add a zero grade point entry column. Maybe that would improve the car count and then (they wouldn't be bending the rules) right now Kurt Bush can race, but others the would if they could get in with zero point can't....that's unfair to the sportsman racers.

I do agree with the above statement....let them put on an exhibition race for Kurt Bush....win win situation, the sportsman racers don't get screwed and it makes NHRA look better.

Again just my .02
Old 03-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My NASCAR crazed wife just informed me that the commentators at Talladaga announced that Kurt Bush is drag racing next week. I guess the media coverage has started.
hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote