HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
ATI Performance Products
Sponsor

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: DQ in super stock

They checked us with our COPO at englishtown 2 yrs ago. It was a tape measure and engine was half way apart. Maybe if it was really close to being not correct they would break out a better fixture. I wish they would check items like this more often. These things and many others like it are checked twice a race at any sort of oval track race you enter.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
dwydendorf

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I have seen wheelbase checked 2 different ways in teardown. The last time I watched, the tech guys had a piece of aluminum about 15 inches long by 3 inches wide that had a mark in the center, held it against the wheel and measured by tape measure to the front spindle. Another time they put the edge of the tape measure on the front or back of the rear wheel and measured to the corresponding spot on the front wheel. They also made sure the wheels were straight before starting. I have also seen the tech guys measure the front and rear overhang(to the end of the car) but I have never seen a spec on this.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

Why don't they make it part of the Tech inspection BEFORE the race? Its on the tech card and a simple tape measure would do the trick!
I know the Bell camp was very disappointed!! They deserved the #1 qualifier spot
Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts

Sometimes it depends on who holds which end of the tape
Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Wheel Base is part of the package. We had to shorten our cars slightly last year because it looked real good, but was about 1/4 too long. Now they are correct. A funny wheel base story; a few years I raced trucks in Stock. I had a long and short wheel base. I let this guy who works for me race the truck with the long base. We are in Indy and naturally both trucks are in tear down. We are finished with mine and ready to fire his and the NHRA tech folks are measuring the base. I am busy, but listening and one calls the measurement to the other. It was 129", so I stopped what I am doing and step back and look. The guy had moved the rear wheels 6 inches forward. I almost died. The wheel wells are so big it didn't show unless you were looking. The true w/b is 135 inches. They didn't notice and he got the trophy and got to race some more. Needless we had a come see Jesus meeting after we got back to the pits.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are wheelbase measurements done in an "as raced" condition on a level surface, with the driver weight in the seat?