HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Air vs. Elec shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
The internal shift solenoids (inside the pan in the valve body) ARE a problem. It is only a matter of time before you have a problem with them. I think it is the hot fluid and temperature that get them. Then you have to pull the pan along with draining the fluid to change the solenoid.
I build race transmissions and custom build them for what the customer wants. I will not build and sell a customer an internal shift or brake valve body for that reason. They are just a problem.
My 2 Cents
My dad has had the same one in his S/R car for as long as I can remember, at least the early 90's, with absolutely no problems. It's proved itself to me, thats why I have one.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 434 Times in 145 Posts

So I bought a complete ELECTRIC kit from Contender Performance ( B&M shifter,shifnoid,rpm switch) for my TH400 equipped Monza. It is supposed to shift from 1-2 and then 2-3 but so far it only seems to work about half the time, it shifts every time from 1-2,but not so dependable on the 2-3 shift ( have only made 6 passes over 2 weekends). All wiring is new,ground is good,etc ... Really not having much fun with this setup. Most of my racing friends have similiar kits that work A1 but run 'glides rather than a TH400. Kind of wishing I had gone the air route so far ...
Tim H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
85transam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

we have a cheetah shifter also but also have the 2-3 shift problem with an air shift setup. worked for a while but now only shifts the first shift and then the second only every now and then. cant count on it at all. anyone else having problems or suggestions?
85transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most shift problems (in my experience) can be traced to linkage issues.

We fought a bad one this year where it would shift fine on jackstands, but under load with the chassis flexing, it would just barely not engage second. Lost rd. 1 at a national event, thank you...

We carefully checked the linkage and found it was off by about a 1/16th of an inch, just a tiny bit one way too far. When we put the linkage on the ball, it was just rubbing a little. A turn one way was all it needed, and it shifted fine after that.

HTH,
Chris