Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Cool things about Stock and Super Stock

The people and the comraderie.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

The friends you make for a life time. Simply the best.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 379 Times in 101 Posts
Talking Re: Cool things about Stock and Super Stock

where else can a 60 chevy station wagon outqualify don garlits ???

jack

actually its the people, if it were not for my friends i only see at the track id probably quit
Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
Julie Jordan

Liked 354 Times in 73 Posts

For me Stock & SS racing revolves around friends and family. I grew up at the racetracks with my Dad and, as a result, my parents and I are extremely close. Now it's carried down to another generation with my children. I like to say that some families go camping for family time, mine went racing!

The people I've met, the friendships that will last my lifetime. My best friends are racing people. The internet has enabled me to meet people I never would have otherwise.

I'm not much of a mechanic so don't get real involved in the workings of my car but I get a lot of satisfaction in tracking my car's progress, running close to my dial, getting a good light and, oh yea, a win light...well, there's not much better!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Ken, your a positive type of guy, and thats cool. But with that ride you've got, it's hard not to be positive! I can relate to friends made, although my history is in Super/Gas. I'm comming over here soon, and here are some reasons why: The older guys are the best, Wheelstands, Flat hoods, Stock appearing and mine certainly will be, Cars looking like the ones I used to see in Hot Rod as a kid in the mid 60s, and last but not least you can retire the car back to the street fairly easily. I can't wait to sit beside all of you guys and compete. I won't be fast, but I will out in front on all of the down track photos. LOL Come and get you some of this little 283 60 Corvette fellas! See ya soon!

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 731 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Smith View Post
Lettin' out the clutch! That never gets old.

Evan
Life begins when the clutch engages.

The people.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

The cars, the people and the thrill of competition! They are some really good and knowledgeable people that race S/S. My faith in mankind is always renewed as well, where I lose it every time I shop at Walmart! Plus, like Jim said, I always chuckle to myself at the local track when someone asks me if I've got nitrous or a big block Chevy under the hood.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Ron Middleton

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Ken,
Great thread and for my 2cents worth.
1: Where else can you find this much diversity in auto racing in any form. No cookie cutter cars here. Technology from carbs to EFI. From timing lights to Laptops. Some young, lots of old guys and few in between but unlike many sports over 40 isn't over the hill and out to pasture.
2: Where else can you see racers do so much with so little? When I was much younger and Pro Stocks were just starting I never thought there would be a day when a 9 second Stocker would ever evolve.
3: Sure as hell beats a car show where trailer queens are parked and polished and very seldom used for what they were originally built for...Driving Them.
4: Some of the greatest people you'll ever meet and and hang out with and fans that think it's cool to walk around the pits, look at the race cars and talk to the racers.
5: Heads up runs. Gotta luv em when it's a close race.
#4892 J/SA. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
- Aristotle
Ron Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being new to this whole adventure.....

I dig the rules. They are wide open in some ways, much more open than I am used to.

But they have a good goal and that goal is to keep things as close to stock as possible. How many racing advents came about in Stock Eliminator , guys trying to eek out an additional 100th, I would say many saw their first use (albeit quietly) in the class competition.

In my opinion your quote about 40 year old cars says more about the cars Detroit made some 40 years ago than anything else, it took nearly 40 years for them to build once again AA and A competitive street cars....maybe wrong, but I love the 40 year old iron it was just different, they were and still ARE outriht bad pieces of Iron.

Being able to hook and run a "Stocker" on 9 inch tires withing the rules to a 10 is to me mechanically amazing.

Its all in the details, all of it.....lots and lots of little details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
I started this thread to bring out the positive in Stock and Super Stock, please post the things you enjoy most about S/SS and what you think is the coolest thing about S/SS.

I think one of the coolest things about S/SS is we are able to race 40+ year old cars with the latest technology along side the newest cars. No other form of racing lets you compete with new cars and old, at least not cars that are separated by over 40 years.

S/SS represents what the factory cars look like more then most motorsports and or classes. Even Super Stock with the large tires still has the look of a factory car.

The fans that come up to you in the pits and complement you on your car or talk about the same car they drive on the street or are building.

The friends that you have met while racing and the bonds you have formed that may have never happened except for a common hobby called Drag Racing.

Please post the positive things about racing S/SS, any negative posts will be removed. You can always start your own thread on the negative, but please do not post it here.
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,767 Times in 430 Posts

The challenge.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote