HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2023, 10:50 PM   #11
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 290 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: Divisional Spectator Attendance

when i loved in new mexico, we went to the shop classes at the high schools and gave them free tickets. the track made more money from the food and drink sales than they ever did selling attendance tickets.

this just the standard bracket race. many of the students stated racing
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:08 AM   #12
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,725 Times in 543 Posts

Virginia Motorsports park let all spectators in free one year at the divisional, the place was packed, I’m sure they got some interested enough to return, and they all spent their money at the concession stands I believe it was a win-win
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:32 AM   #13
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 952 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427FE View Post
The .90 stuff is very hard to watch.
And even harder to explain to a typical spectator ! I ran Super Street for a few years, over 30 years ago, before the big MPH, "launch and die" throttle stop timers, and full tube chassis cars with a bunch of ballast became mainstream. Back then, a 10.0 car was fast, and often, the ET was maintained with a bolt on the carb linkage, to prevent full throttle. Now many of the 10.90 cars can run low 8s, "off the stop. I have quite a few friends that run the .90 classes, and I can appreciate how competitive it is, and how they can always "hit the number", but yeah, it certainly is strange for the spectators to follow. When I lived on the West Coast, Mission Raceway always had really god spectator turnouts, but they would run radio and TV ads, local auto parts stores had discount tickets and posters to promote the race, and they would bring in something of interest to spectators, whether it was a couple of wheelstanders, jet cars, Nitro Harleys, or Funny Cars. For several years, they had Hemi Shootouts, that would bring 8-10 SS/AH cars, from all over North America, the "race to the 9s" in Stock was fantastic, they had a Warren Johnson/Richie Stevens Pro Stock match race once, and the place was packed.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #14
rboyle

Liked 559 Times in 158 Posts

Promote promote promote. Used to be radio and print media or TV ads. Now it's more social media and pop up ads. But if our own websites like NHRA..com and all the others do not promote their own races on their own website then it puts all the onus on the track operator.
You can promote Imports vs Muscle vs EV the trick is making up a nemesis. Drag racing is a great platform for it as the Snake vsMongoose wars
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #15
Mark Yeager

Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

They should give tickets way for free at Division races. We need to get new blood in the stands. The tracks can make some money on food/T shirts.

It's hard to get local sponsors to support the race track and racers if we have ZERO spectators....
Mark Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #16
Ken MacNicol

Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Ask the Bader's , they know how it is done.
Ken MacNicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:34 PM   #17
Jim Caughlin

Liked 697 Times in 210 Posts

The only Divisional on the west coast that I can think of that had a decent spectator turnout is Mission. Oh wait, we're not running a Divsional there anymore...
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #18
RKelliher

Liked 155 Times in 52 Posts

Can't get the crowds if they don't know about it
RKelliher is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #19
FanOnly51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a fan's perspective, I would prefer to attend a divisional race than a national event, or any of the dog and pony show events. My dad, 83, and myself, 59, have been attending these events since the early 70's. We have seen a precipitous decline in attendance at all drag racing events that we attend, which are mostly the "points" meets as my dad calls them. We love the variety of cars represented in S/SS and they still connect to my early days being exposed to the sport. I have been to NHRA events from CA to NC. Raise your hand if these dragstrips ring a bell, Green Valley, Dallas International, Baylands/Fremont, Speedworld, Willow Run, just to name a few that are no longer around.

Unfortunately, we are a dying breed. We have gone to Thunder Valley and sat in the stands alone. Double divisional at Topeka, maybe 50 fans. I really don't understand it. Very underappreciated. I figure it the drivers can spend 4-5 days towing, hundreds if not thousands on fees/fuel/etc, and an ungodly amount on tow vehicles and race cars, then I can fill the tank up in my car and drive a few hours and be happy.

Sure, fans can be educated more but judging by some of the comments from "fans" regarding the NHRA divisional in Tulsa where I live, they are a long way from understanding the throttle stop, class indexes, and starting line and finish line packages.

I think you cannot ignore the no prep/call out/cash in the air/insult your opponent type of racing. It fills up the stands and the also the starting line (how do you get insurance for that?).

As someone pointed out, circus shows tend to bring the fans out. I am not against it; it seems to be the reality. That may have to be sprinkled into each show and promoted heavily. I have never been to Norwalk, but I would be the phone with that owner asking for his secret as to how you can butts in the seats.
FanOnly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:54 PM   #20
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 899 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken MacNicol View Post
Ask the Bader's , they know how it is done.
I won the wheelstand contest at Baders Cavalcade of Stars a couple times. Still have the 200 Dollar check stubs around here somewhere. He drew names of 10 spectators and if you were a winner you were placed at a picnic table right behind the startling line. They had large hand held scorecards to rate their votes.They held these cards up after every car left the starting line. Of course he was doing his "Bader Central" on the mic as this was all happening.I remember Ricky Decker walking past me as I was taking all the weight out of the nose and raising my wheelie bars saying "Wanger, your gonna win that thing aint ya" LOL. He had Jet Trucks, Fuel Harley Davidsons (those guys are nuts! ) and free tickets. He advertised as far east as Philadelphia on the radio, flyers,and I think TV. The ads were pretty frequent. He later told folks he lost money on the deal, but was adamant he was going to somehow, someway fill that place at a Points meet.
He actually had to close the gates as he was at capacity

Heres the pics....
http://classracer.com/classforum/att...1&d=1681758625

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 04-17-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote