Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-16-2023, 02:14 AM   #11
SBillinson

Liked 172 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Approval of Super Stock Class Aftermarket Cylinder Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sofranko View Post
Man, I remember when it was straight up mansville to use your real name, along with a good argument...

Please be more like the great engine builders of class racer, like Westcott and a few others that don't use hidden names.
I have no idea who the 2 main posters here are?

SSdiv6 is unknown after what... 40 years?

Bubski is likely a Ford guy of sorts, from what I can tell?

You both make fun points at times, but really, man up and use your name, when asking for rules changes, so we can see your personal agenda.

As for heads, race modified if you want fresh meat heads.
Pretty sure its near billet over there?

Many thanks to Jeff N. for spilling his guts, on what that leaky combo he ran was like, but you said it best, they leak.

I haven't entered a race in 20 years now, and its stay and puke cash, or get a hobby that doesn't need revised every week!

ex SSdiv5
Don
SSDiv6 is known to many on this board. He's a very good, decent man who's been involved in class racing for long time. He's also smart and accomplished, so I'm sure he has a good reason for concealing his name.

As for the other guy? Nobody seems to know him.

Last edited by SBillinson; 04-16-2023 at 02:18 AM.
SBillinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #12
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,858 Times in 1,338 Posts

It’s no secret that Div6 is Joe Elias.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #13
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,466 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post
SSDiv6 is known to many on this board. He's a very good, decent man who's been involved in class racing for long time. He's also smart and accomplished, so I'm sure he has a good reason for concealing his name.

As for the other guy? Nobody seems to know him.
Thank you Steve!

When I first created my profile, I was working in aerospace classified programs and my employer and the government strongly suggested that if we used social media, to refrain from the use of our real names.

As Mr. Derby City stated, my name is Joe Elias and when my job allows it, you can find me hanging out at the races with racers and friends.
Eventually, looking forward to finishing my new car and having fun with my racing family.

As regards this subject, those that know me, I am always looking to help others in many areas, especially technical. Believe me, the guy at Glendora does not like me, especially when it comes to tech stuff. Therefore, I can expect the day that I eventually I show up with my new car at a national event, to be torn down.
Now, let's get back to the subject and ignore the bubski clown...
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:06 AM   #14
Don Sofranko

Liked 111 Times in 28 Posts

Well thanks for the note Joe, you make intelligent and well written posts, so I respect that.
It does sound like you have a combo that would favor this head?
What combo are you building?

So what combo would this head be legal for? It looks like a decent head for modified stock SS/AS ?
I remember it was a novel idea, to watch STK SS cars, with original power plants, (OEM parts mostly) and see how fast someone could make them go. That was entertaining, and sometimes still is. I was never in favor of aftermarket castings.

176-X-C23-03
Pro-Filer Performance Products Small Block Chevy All American Race Series CNC-Ported Cylinder Heads 1575$ each at summit
Cylinder Head, Small Block Chevy All American Race Series CNC Ported, Aluminum, Bare, 68cc Chamber, 235cc Intake, Angle Plug, Chevrolet, 5.7L,

What would the unported price come in at?

A few years ago, several guys wanted a Brodix headed spec class.
I belong to the Modified Fb page, and admire that old class, but really you can still build that type of car with better parts today.
Why not admit you really want to run modified?
Don Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #15
SpeierRacing

Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts

Let's pretend there are Edelbrock heads on the ground and everyone has them...

I spent lots of time with Edelbrock trying to get them to change a few things on the casting. There is ZERO reason that casting needs a 2.200 seat ring. It simply doesn't make a good head. Even with the 2.02 it leaves a .100 step at the seat/chamber transition! The throat is WAY too big. It's OK for a 2.02 valve, but marginal with a 1.94 and not even close for the 305 guys. The exhaust is decent but needs welded to be great, So at the end of the day the registers, the throats, the exhaust need welded up even before you start adding epoxy. Have $3000 in heads before you even look at port design.

Told Edelbrock all this.. They agreed to put a smaller OD seat ring in the next batch. THANKS! But it has to come out to fix the throats..

Now OEM.. I have a pallet of cracked heads here. Guys will simply not spend the money on OEM if aftermarket is legal. The last OEM I sent out to be brazed cost $1100 for the exhaust and then all the machine work to fix everything.

So this leads to the casting submitted.. $749 retail.. NO welding required. NO epoxy required. Makes a much nicer offering. That was the reasoning for choosing this casting. It's NOT an advantage to anyone. Guys are spending the money to get what's legal, ready to even use.

Like it or hate it, aftermarket heads are legal. Just trying for another option to maybe get more involved. Make a better offering. You do this when everything you tell a maker falls of deaf ears.

We weren't trying to reengineer the wheel here. We were just trying to legalize a casting that is cast with all the work being done to the Edelbrock. That's simply all..
SpeierRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #16
SpeierRacing

Quote:
Well thanks for the note Joe, you make intelligent and well written posts, so I respect that.

So what combo would this head be legal for? It looks like a decent head for modified stock SS/AS ?
I remember it was a novel idea, to watch STK SS cars, with original power plants, (OEM parts mostly) and see how fast someone could make them go. That was entertaining, and sometimes still is. I was never in favor of aftermarket castings.

176-X-C23-03
Pro-Filer Performance Products Small Block Chevy All American Race Series CNC-Ported Cylinder Heads 1575$ each at summit
Cylinder Head, Small Block Chevy All American Race Series CNC Ported, Aluminum, Bare, 68cc Chamber, 235cc Intake, Angle Plug, Chevrolet, 5.7L,

I belong to the Modified Fb page, and admire that old class, but really you can still build that type of car with better parts today.
Don, that part number is the ProFiler house CNC offering. It's 235cc.

Last edited by SpeierRacing; 04-16-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #17
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,466 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:

176-X-C23-03

Hi Don,

The cylinder is not for my use. I was asked by several engine builders and cylinder head shops to help them find an aluminum casting as a substitute for the "not available" NHRA SBC-approved cylinder head.
I am actually a Ford guy and my new car is a Ford!

Anyone expecting new NHRA-approved cylinder heads from Edelbrock, is just wasting their time. I submitted many brands of 23-degree SBC heads to NHRA and they were rejected for one reason or another, with no sound basis for the rejection, including a cylinder head from TFS with an as-cast runner of 175cc. Let's be clear, this is for Super Stock class racing, not Stock class. You are allowed welding, epoxy, CNC machining and more.

The cylinder head I proposed to NHRA is a 23-degree cylinder head, available both for center and perimeter bolt valve covers. Profiler does not show the cylinder head in their catalog, however, it is available over the phone. The intake and exhaust ports are small, allowing them to be ported for many of the SBC engine variations with small ports and small valves. The chamber is already finished. This casting would be cost-effective for the racers since you can develop a port that will not require welding and/or epoxy. The casting is made in the USA from aerospace-grade aluminum and is thick everywhere; no more worries of leaking spring pads or cracks. Besides, in the event of a failure, it can be repaired.

The Profiler castings are currently available also. Lots of them as a matter of fact.

I have attached pictures of the cylinder head that was submitted and the brochure with the specifications of the cylinder head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head 10.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	66859   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 9.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	66860   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	66861  

Name:	head 7.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	66862   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 6.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	66863   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 5.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	66864  

Name:	head 2.png
Views:	101
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	66865   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 3.png
Views:	80
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	66866   Click image for larger version

Name:	head 4.png
Views:	92
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	66867  

Last edited by SSDiv6; 04-16-2023 at 12:04 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:15 PM   #18
SpeierRacing

This is the actual head. Description is wrong, price a little higher. But it's available mail order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capturem.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	66868  
Old 04-16-2023, 01:04 PM   #19
Don Sofranko

Liked 111 Times in 28 Posts

Chad, nice website and looks like a great race shop.

https://speierracingheads.com/index.html

I look forward to seeing you out racing.
Will the Cavalier be active this year?
I don't think I have seen that car.
Don Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:22 PM   #20
SpeierRacing

Quote:
Chad, nice website and looks like a great race shop.

https://speierracingheads.com/index.html

I look forward to seeing you out racing.
Will the Cavalier be active this year?
I don't think I have seen that car.
Yes! Finally. I've had the car over a year, it came from Louisiana. It had 10 passes on it and was a Modified car so I had to do a lot to it for GT. Last year I waited all year for a TH200. I purchased an LT1 combo from Wudorsyck that already had my heads/manifold. I reworked it, dyno'd it, had it in the car and decided to build a complete new engine. I'm waiting on a few parts. My plan is the Denver double.