HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
Altronics
Sponsor

Liked 58 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Computech or altronicrs perform air?

Thanks for the great comments!

Regardless of which system you choose I suggest you get a system the was made for racing. Products that are made for aviation, hiking, shooting, etc.. use a "standard" Density Altitude Formula.

For Racing, although our cars do push through the air, they also consume it to make power. You can't look at the density as a whole. The amount of oxygen and water that make up the air's density, mixes with fuel to produce a varied amount power and therefore effects performance.
In drag racing, this is what we want to measure and the "DA" we calculate is adjusted for these factors!

Although this derivation from "text book" DA calculation may not seem apparent to you on any given day when conditions are stable, over time (Spring, Summer, Fall) when temperatures and humidity levels change significantly you will see the effect when trying to predict your car.

Altronics patented this calculation specifically for internal combustion engines and measuring performance in our PerformAIRE weather stations.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #12
Charles Stewart

Liked 541 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
If anyone wants to learn the science and intricacies behind ET correction and prediction based on weather, you need to get Patrick Hale's book titled: "Motorsports Standard Atmosphere and Weather Correction Methods".

https://dragracingpro.com/books
I was thinking that I was OK with my own DA calculations to precisely predict a “time run” but, after reading the Patrick Hale book on MSA and Weather Correction Methods, I quickly realised than I didn’t know anything about it.
Get a hand on that book and you will learn a lot of more information/formulas to be more on your target and if you are familiar with EXCEL you can develop you own prediction tool including: HP correction factor, the frontal area CD correction factor by body style, head wind and angle wind correction factor, track temperature correction methods and so on…
It will always be up to you.
Keep on,
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,466 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altronics View Post
Thanks for the great comments!

Regardless of which system you choose I suggest you get a system the was made for racing. Products that are made for aviation, hiking, shooting, etc.. use a "standard" Density Altitude Formula.

For Racing, although our cars do push through the air, they also consume it to make power. You can't look at the density as a whole. The amount of oxygen and water that make up the air's density, mixes with fuel to produce a varied amount power and therefore effects performance.
In drag racing, this is what we want to measure and the "DA" we calculate is adjusted for these factors!

Although this derivation from "text book" DA calculation may not seem apparent to you on any given day when conditions are stable, over time (Spring, Summer, Fall) when temperatures and humidity levels change significantly you will see the effect when trying to predict your car.

Altronics patented this calculation specifically for internal combustion engines and measuring performance in our PerformAIRE weather stations.
Just to clarify, the Kestrel line of products are not performance calculators.
They are weather stations with logging capability.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #14
Charles Stewart

Liked 541 Times in 163 Posts

I’m still using my old Kestrel 4250 Racing Weather Tracker and I like his mobility and precision.
I like collecting data and depending on your racing track, some are level lower or higher than their paddock and some create a stadium form (tower and side stands). Those conditions will produce a data difference. Also take the time to check conditions after those stands. Sometime you will be surprised.
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote