HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: A case for aftermarket seats in stock

Thanks Guys,,,,,,,Anybody got any word on our div 2 leader not trying to change the subject here!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Don Morris

Liked 72 Times in 9 Posts

I'm glad there are some other racers that feel as I do about seats. If roll cages are acceptable as a safety device, why not a genuine racing seat to complete the package?

The following is an e-mail I sent to the NHRA Rules committee on 11/30/09.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentlemen,

The rules regarding accepted seats for Stock Eliminator reflect a substantial inconsistency in application from a safety perspective. For example, Super Stock cars are allowed to use "aftermarket seats" with a roll cage. Rules regarding Stock Eliminator state "Must have... factory-type... front and rear seats." As you're aware, Stock class cars are often as quick and fast as Super Stock cars.

It appears that the rules allow "automotive accessory seats" or "aftermarket seats" in all categories (i.e. E.T.), regardless of speed or elapsed time, except Stock Eliminator. That really betrays the idea of a universal approach to safety.

At least two things could be accomplished by NHRA accepting aftermarket seats for use in Stock Eliminator: 1) Present an opportunity to improve safety 2) Eliminate interpretation of rules governing Stock Eliminator, either by competitors or Technical Inspectors.

This rule modification would also allow competitors to take advantage, without running afoul of the rules, the statement on page XV of the 2010 Rulebook: "Additional safety equipment or safety-enhancing equipment is always permitted and the levels of safety equipment in this Rulebook are minimum prescribed levels for a particular type of competition and do not prohibit the individual racer from using additional safety equipment."

I'm sure all racers would appreciate the opportunity to upgrade their safety equipment in this area. Safety is something we all can afford.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is the committee's reply:
Don,

The Stock/Super Stock Committee has reviewed your request, to allow the use of aftermarket seats in Stock Eliminator; and has unanimously denied your request. Thank you for your interest in NHRA Championship Drag Racing.

Pat Cvengros

Technical Services Representative

NHRA has also seen fit to revise the rules for seats in Stock as of 4/15/10.

DM
Don Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Steve Hagberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: A case for aftermarket seats in stock

Even though Don Morris makes a well stated case for replacement seats as a safety concern, it's interesting that the Rules Committee came back with an unqualified NO without sharing any justification for their decision. As a career pilot in both the Navy and in commercial aviation, I can tell you that their rules and operational procedures are written in blood. I wonder if the organization that is the world's foremost automotive racing safety body ( the stated rationale for their 501c(6) non-profit status) is waiting for a tragic accident to decide to take action. That seems to be the recent trend.
Steve
Steve Hagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
Dave Ficacci

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts

It seems that whenever someones says (insert gripe of the week here) is for safety and not performance, one really has to question the motive. No doubt, aftermarket seats are safer. You cannot dispute that. But let's dig a little deeper .

Is safety is your number one concern, I would ask you these questions...

Does your car have a full roll cage and window net?
Do you wear the hans device?
Do you wear SFI gloves and shoes?
Do you run a diaper?
Do you run a full transmission shield?

ALL of the items I listed above can be put into a stocker today... Aside from the AA and some A cars, I would bet 90% of the remaining cars and drivers do not use ANY of the items listed above .

So if safety is so important to you, why are you not using the allowed and legal safety devices that are available to you? After all isn't that what everyone is the post is preaching? How you want to be in a safer racecar...

I do like Gregs idea about an aftermarket seats that closely resemble the stock originals. The last thing I would want to see is a stocker with a Kirkey seat.

Stock has changed more in the last 5 years than it has in the 20 years before that. People like Ken call it progression, I call it bastardization.

In closing, if you don't feel safe in your racecar, maybe you shouldn't be in the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Miele View Post
I think NHRA needs to give us the option if we want a little more safety, not make mandatory, just an option.
If NHRA makes it an option, it should come with an addition of 5 HP. I bet you wouldn't put one in.

Last edited by Dave Ficacci; 07-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Dave Ficacci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Performance and risks demand it. My old time tickets from my "stocker" showed 14.24 on down.My best 13.98 with belts and no bar. Today 9s to low 10 for stockers, and everything else is approached for safety but the seats. Fuel Cells, cages Belts, Helmets but if the seat moves, game over. I know this is another progression of Stock but a major safety one is possible.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

OK Dave, you lost me on that one, an aftermarket seat would warrant a 5hp increase?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro Josey View Post
OK Dave, you lost me on that one, an aftermarket seat would warrant a 5hp increase?
he lost me too on that one
Old 07-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy

The point he is trying to make is that while you guys are on here making this a big issue, making it sound life and death, if the seat came with a 5hp cost, you probably wouldn't use it.

IE: You'd take 5hp less before you'd take the grater safety.
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
Dave Ficacci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro Josey View Post
It certainly would in my opinion. Aftermarket seats will save you at least 30 lbs over the originals and probably 60+ lbs for those with bench seats. Now you have x amount of available ballast to place wherever you please. Hence the performance advantage. Hence the 5 hp.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
Dave Ficacci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
The point he is trying to make is that while you guys are on here making this a big issue, making it sound life and death, if the seat came with a 5hp cost, you probably wouldn't use it.

IE: You'd take 5hp less before you'd take the grater safety.
This too. Thanks Sean.