HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 10,032 Times in 2,080 Posts
Default Re: 2014 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Schedule

1 grade point. To get a grade point you have to pass tech.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
I'm really glad to see St Louis back on the d3 schedule, but really the first week in August. Have any of you been to St.Louis then? Can you say heat indexes over 100. I realize it's hard to find a free weekend but that has to be one of the worst weather wise.

Sort of like when the geniuses moved Mepmhpis to August. There were times we sat in Memphis and watched them haul heat exhaustion patients out in ambulances at the rate of 2-3 an hour.

When you do that sort of thing you kill a race, for fans and for racers.
Is it any surprise when the tracks either go broke, or quit hosting those
races?

When will they learn that for the vast majority of competitors and spectators, racing is a leisure activity? It is reasonable to expect to be relatively comfortable. Fans do not want to seat in blistering heat and suffocating humidity, and watch a small field of slow cars. Racers don't want to sit in that any more than the fans do, and they don't want to go slow, either.

Sorry, changing the entire tune up of the car, still going 2 tenths slower, and needing to drink a gallon of water and two quarts of Gatorade to avoid a trip to the emergency room ain't my idea of fun.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Marty Knox

Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts

I see Stanton is no longer on the schedule. I thought they might move it to Milan, but now we have no NHRA events in Michigan.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
I missed that; but you're right, that will kill Atlanta. Alan has some good points but they'll never have a November race in D2, think they like the championship races to come to a head in Vegas.

Well, they do funnel everything toward the west coast in October and November. At least to a degree. And I can see how that is reasonable, for travel time and expenses for racers who are racing for a world title.

Hey, I bet we'd be willing to go to Reynolds the 3rd weekend of October and then to Bristol on the 4th weekend. Or move Reynolds to the first or second weekend.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Knox View Post
I see Stanton is no longer on the schedule. I thought they might move it to Milan, but now we have no NHRA events in Michigan.
I don't believe Milan would want the race if it were offered too them......Would be fine with me tho...90 miles from home. Personally, I liked going to Stanton. The car count however proved my opinion is the minority.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

In late October and early November, Bristol is liable to have high temps in the mid 40's.

Scheduling is a very difficult proposition, as you have to contend with not only weather and other Nat'l/Div'l events, but also each track's own schedule, outside promoter events, regional non-racing events, holidays, etc. There are multiple weekends when there are even 3-4 NHRA events on top of each other. I printed out a blank calendar and filled in all known dates so far... and I've got as many as 9 major events on the same date, already!

For the Class Nationals, we've got Atlanta and Ennis LODRS events on top of us, which is actually about as good as you're going to get for conflicts. The week before us, we have the Indy LODRS, less than 4 hours away, that people can use to make a swing out of the trip. Those two weeks are bookended by a buffer of Easter and Mother's Day.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs down Re: 2014 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Schedule

moving Gainesville pts race was stupid, why not get it done while everyone is already down there?
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Pete Beau

Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Knox View Post
Northern D-3 racers now have (2) 10+ hour tows.
Pete Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
SSDA Hemi

Liked 433 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Bet you are glad about Orlando after your great win there a couple of years ago. Bet it gives you a good opportunity to take your Ducati for a spin in seventy degree temps, right?
You're right about that Jim! First weekend of February we're lucky if temps are in the twenties up North here! Much nicer down south with my division 2 buddies!

Gainesville/Reynolds races gives points chasers one or two more chances before schedule ends out west! But I agree with you Mickey. Really loved the Orlando/Gainesville opener. And then three weeks later, Gatornationals...

Last edited by SSDA Hemi; 11-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
SSDA Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
In late October and early November, Bristol is liable to have high temps in the mid 40's.

Scheduling is a very difficult proposition, as you have to contend with not only weather and other Nat'l/Div'l events, but also each track's own schedule, outside promoter events, regional non-racing events, holidays, etc. There are multiple weekends when there are even 3-4 NHRA events on top of each other. I printed out a blank calendar and filled in all known dates so far... and I've got as many as 9 major events on the same date, already!

For the Class Nationals, we've got Atlanta and Ennis LODRS events on top of us, which is actually about as good as you're going to get for conflicts. The week before us, we have the Indy LODRS, less than 4 hours away, that people can use to make a swing out of the trip. Those two weeks are bookended by a buffer of Easter and Mother's Day.

All valid points Michael.

If we're going to talk about weather, there are worse scheduling problems than possible cold at Bristol. There's a couple of races that get at least near rained out every year, and never get moved. Simply put, there's just no need to put both Bristol races at that time of the year. Spring or fall would be far better, and Bristol was in the spring for a long time.