HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
tpoh815

Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Angry Re: Hosepower on monday?

I like watching some cars running 10.30s at 100mph as well!!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Hosepower on monday?

I thought that dropping the index .3 was the cure for everything in the S/SS world as we know it and correct factoring had nothing to do with anything.

Congratulations to Jeff T. A great racer! A super nice car! A great combination! And one class act!
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Jared Jordan

Liked 337 Times in 87 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior barns View Post
I dont blame Jeff at all for putting this combo together. The problem is NHRA! Not factoring new combos even close. This is what is a JOKE

Everbody talks about the old combos not factored right back in the day but these combos have been work on for 30+ years and given enhancements to get to where they are today. Now all of a sudden they are (atleast) 50hp behind!!!

NHRA what a JOKE
More than 50. That car of Teuton's has 150 hp on our 360. Ours isn't particularly fast, but you get the point...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You need to realize that Chrysler never made a true HiPo 360 until the new DRAG PAK cars were released....(Li'L RED EXPRESS doesn't count)...the 360 DRAG PAK engine specs aren't even close to any 360 built before this package was created.....

D L RAMBO.....
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

The reason i started this post was Nitro Joe said he was putting the free runs on his list and i was parked by the scales and not all cars weighted, I don`t think the free time-trails should count, But it his list. Tom
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumv8 View Post
You need to realize that Chrysler never made a true HiPo 360 until the new DRAG PAK cars were released....(Li'L RED EXPRESS doesn't count)...the 360 DRAG PAK engine specs aren't even close to any 360 built before this package was created.....

D L RAMBO.....
I DO realize that. What I fail to understand is why the two combo's are within 3 classes of one another.

Let's compare shall we?

'79 360
9:1 CR
.455" lift
Flat tappet hydraulic lifter
Thermoquad
Cast Iron heads/manifold
1.88" intake valve 1.60" exhaust valve
Rated @ 289

5.9 Magnum
11.4:1 CR
.490" lift
Hydraulic roller lifter
1000 cfm throttle body w/injection
Aluminum heads/high rise aluminum manifold
2.02" intake valve 1.60" exhaust valve
Rated @ 275

I don't fault the car owner. The Teuton family is a great bunch of people and I congratulate them on their performance. However, that being said, that car should be in C or D not in H.

NHRA missed the boat on all the new cars. I know there's a valid argument to be made for underrating a new combination, but c'mon, these things (and CJ's) aren't even CLOSE to where they should be.

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 03-21-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Hosepower on monday?

Couldn't agree with you more Jared. The cam in my '78 360 is even smaller @.423 and yet it is still rated at 289hp and the new 360 is rated @ 275! Also remember the car ran 10.50 @ 127 on Thursday. I'm sure there is plenty left! This is very similar to when the LS1 first came out. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 03-21-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
Jared Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Jared. The cam in my '78 360 is even smaller @.423 and yet it is still rated at 289hp and the new 360 is rated @ 275! Also remember the car ran 10.50 @ 127 on Thursday. I'm sure there is plenty left! This is very similar to when the LS1 first came out. Jim
Absolutely Jim. I remember when the LS1's debuted at Pomona in '95. Martha Thompson qualified #1 in G/SA. Now the same cars are still competitive in AA and A. Only took 15 years. I hope NHRA pulls their heads out a little sooner with regard to these combo's.

We used to run the .423" cam as well. The "new" motor has the "big" cam. LOL

Last edited by Jared Jordan; 03-21-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Jared Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Im curious as to what people educated with this motor (albeit a hair different in a DP, and the DP Chassis)

What do you "guess" or reasonably think the 5.9 Combo is good for if someone were to let the tounge hang out ? And after the FI gets dialed in as well as other items noone is really familiar with yet on this particular motor ?

9.8 ish ? 10 flat ? 10.2 (I think its already capable of that but thats just a "feeling") ????

Im curious as to what an "educated" guess is on this combo.....my LA experience is 1 engine for a friend when I was about 20.....and taking them out of cars and putting them in storage (we are building a 70-74 Challenger LA block collection apparently)

I think Long term Mr Teuton made a Great choice from an Investment perspective, I think, maybe wrong I think only 5 were ordered ?
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #20
junior barns

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Hosepower on monday?

jared jordan said

Absolutely Jim. I remember when the LS1's debuted at Pomona in '95. Martha Thompson qualified #1 in G/SA. Now the same cars are still competitive in AA and A. Only took 15 years. I hope NHRA pulls their heads out a little sooner with regard to these combo's

Use to be competitive in AA and A! I cant remember what these cars HP started out with or even where they are now only remember getting my but kicked by them until they moved to injected class until they worked the factor out! But, I dont think they were this far out of line! Like you said (more like 150hp short)

Class Racing is what we all do. We all like to think that if we work hard enough we can at the very least be competitive in a class run off. We put our trust in the NHRA to keep a sumwhat level paying field. A 2 tenth advantage is never good when your on the wrong end but it's manageable. But 5 to 8 tenth or more advantage will never work. The hp system will never catch up!

Yes some people will say ( If you cant keep up then get another car or get a diff combo) but what is going on now is not like finding an abscure combo that no one has run and going 2 sec under, its inserting cars in the heart of the classes where there are hundreds of people all over the country and now there cars are ALL obsolete

ps What I said before NHRA what a joke!!!
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote