Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
A100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: NHRA unleashed or is it unlashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3racing View Post
NHRA Unleashed is the Pinks All Out of the NHRA. They are sending out emails to racers from the Pinks All Out entries. It's a lot cheaper than Stock/SuperStock at a National Event and according to emails the schedule is already expanding next year to a track near you. I've said this before, it didn't take NHRA long to realize that there was a lot of cars and a lot of spectators on the other side.
In my opinion going to one of these races is nothing like a Pinks race. It is more like going to a Divisional race.

The rules are more like an old AHRA rule book.

FTI X-TREME STREET TECH CARD $150.00
OCT 22,23,24th @ SGMP

n/a SB 2500lbs
n/a BB short deck conventional head 2900lbs
n/a BB tall deck conventional head 3000lbs
n/a BB short deck big chief 3000lbs
n/a BB 10.2 tall deck big chief 3150lbs
28 X 10.5 nonW slick or 275 drag radial

Nitrous Small Block: 2600 lbs
Nitrous Big Block (10.2 deck okay,: 3200 lbs add 150 lbs for Big Chief

Add 50 lbs on all nitrous combos w/non stock suspension, must have stock frame rail

Big Chief combos max 3 kits

supercharged (SB only)- 3100lbs base weight with F1C or Ysi
add 100lbs for F1R/Xi or
add 150lbs for Z trim or =
add 200lbs for F2
add 50lbs for non inline head
deduct 50 lbs for non intercooled
add 50lbs for non stock suspension; must have stock frame rail notch okay
gear drive okay

single turbo (SB only)- 3100lbs base weight with 80 mm
add 100lbs for bigger than 80 mm
add 150lbs for 88 mm
add 200lbs for 94 mm
add 100lbs for non inline head
deduct 50lbs for non intercooled
add 50lbs for non stock suspension, must have stock frame rail - notch okay

twin turbo's (SB only)- 3300lbs base weight max 67 mm
add 50 lbs 70 mm
add 150lbs 76 mm
add 200 lbs 80 mm (must run on 275)
add 100lbs for non stock suspension, must have stock frame rail notch okay
Leaf springs - 100#
No wheelie bars
Mufflers required on non turbo charged entries
Progressives okay
7531 okay
Lexan okay
Fiberglass okay
Alcohol -Ok
Auto Trans or Factory clutch type manual (clutch assisted okay)
REDUCER

$15,000 to the winner
My guess is that there will be close to 100 racers running in this class alone. In the Feb race they took the first 32 qualified for the original. purse. The promotor then took the next 30-40 cars and put in $5000 for the "B-Main" so everyone that made the tow could race.

There were almost 500 cars at the race I participated in Feb. The one in Oct should be even bigger.

NHRA is trying to tap into this market but doesn't have a clue how to do it. They had to go in the back door by using ORSCA to run the races for them. The only carrot NHRA has to offer is the chance you will be on TV. NHRA is trying to package it like a Pinks race for TV. From racers I've talked with it is all about the show and not the racing. I guess one good thing the show has going for it is that Paul Page isn't doing the announcing.

Today at Indy it looks like they have around 30 cars for the four true classes and around a hundred in the seven Billy Meyers type classes (index for you young types).
A100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Bryan Broaddus

Liked 18 Times in 3 Posts

Lots of folks are leaning toward this type of racing because it is a 2 day weekend only event. In these economic times it is very hard to take 4 or 5 days off for a National event and the divisional races aren't much shorter.

We have converted an old Super Stocker to run in Hot Street and I built a LS1 powered Vega to run a 8.5" true street tire class. Both are heads up classes and a lot of fun.

These races are more akin to the old days at Orange County International Raceway. You are going to see some of the most unique cars on the planet, with all the power adders, tubing, intercoolers, scoops, wings and stuff.

These guys are serious racers that you won't see at an NHRA race. Tom Compton and his cronies see the number of Racers at these events and think they are missing our on what is rightfully theirs, drag racers. They have gotten to big for their britches over the last decade and forgotten about the "Grass Roots" racers. Add to the mix the restrictive rules structure and you have made a perfect venue for other Associations to spring up, PSCA, NMRA...

There is no heads up racing with doorslammers in the NHRA and folks don't like that. I know you can say Class Eliminations are heads up but how many classes have multiple rounds for a win? One or two rounds a couple times a year?

Stock and Super Stock cars are the best thing on the planet but not everyone is willing to build one due to the cost, rules and limited venues to run them. For the same money you can build a 7 second heads up car, and no Graham Light at the races!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One Question?
The index classes 11.0, 12.0, and 13.0. Are they shoepolish classes or is it heads up?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
One Question?
The index classes 11.0, 12.0, and 13.0. Are they shoepolish classes or is it heads up?
They are heads up on a 5/10ths Pro tree. This is ideal for all those who have been pushing their agenda over the years for more and more heads up runs.

There were several stockers in attendance and we did not even have to check their carb sizes.

Travis

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #15
A100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post
They are heads up on a 5/10ths Pro tree. This is ideal for all those who have been pushing their agenda over the years for more and more heads up runs.

There were several stockers in attendance and we did not even have to check their carb sizes.

Travis

(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions.)
So Travis were you at Indy helping with the tech?

Give us your assestment of how the race went.

I've been to few of these type of races and I don't see any agenda other than racers getting together with basic rules having fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Ive been bashed for years about stuff so get used to it....lol. Good idea about getting rid of the throttle stops and build your car to run the index. Ive said this forever.
Terry,

Let's add to that the delay boxes as well. Get rid of these two things and drivers will have to go back to driving their cars.

Robert Swartz
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,600 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Miller View Post

Travis

Maybe we need some clarification of terms here.
If you have a heads up 13.0 class, then you could just run in it with an 11.0 car or a 9.90 car for that matter.
Or, is it zero breakout, even start , like the .90 classes?
If that's the case, what about throttle stops from the 60' to the 1000' trap, 565 R-M motors, trans brakes and so on , or is the winning mph limited, like it should be?
In that case, what are we saying here? The fans can understand breakouts, but not handicap head starts?

I don't suppose you can deep stage in the NHRA 13.0 class ? hahaha
Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
A100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Terry,

Let's add to that the delay boxes as well. Get rid of these two things and drivers will have to go back to driving their cars.

Robert Swartz
You get your wish Robert, there are NO delay boxes or timers in the index racing. Just manual fixed throttle stops.

Of course some of them use adjustable release trans buttons which all you are well informed about.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts

As an example, the same applies to all the heads up index classes. If you are in the 13 second class, you race only other cars in the 13 second class. There is no eliminator against other classes. First to the finish line without going quicker than 13 second is the winner because a breakout is in effect. If both cars go quicker than 13 seconds, the least under is the winner. Deep staging is allowed. 5/10ths Pro tree in 11,12,and 13 second. 4/10th in the others.

I teched at the Indy Unleashed. The rules are on NHRA.com. in the Unleashed section. The series is still new but is similar to other heads up groups that have been around for awhile. There were several Stockers running the 11 and 12 second classes. Lots of S/G and S/ST cars were in the 9.00, 9.50, and 10.00 second index classes. Pretty much anything goes in the index classes. They mainly have to meet NHRA safety rules for the ET they are running.

Pro Mod, Outlaw 10.5, Limited Street, and EZ Street do have class rules that are explained on NHRA.com. For those who have never seen these faster heads up classes, they are impressive. Lots of nitrous, turbochargers and superchargers. Although the crowd was not huge, they did seem to enjoy the race.

So for all you people that for years have pushed for a heads up agenda, looks like you now get your wish as there is no handicapped shoe polish racing here.

Travis

Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
JMatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100 View Post
You get your wish Robert, there are NO delay boxes or timers in the index racing. Just manual fixed throttle stops.

Of course some of them use adjustable release trans buttons which all you are well informed about.
Although throttle stops weren't allowed, people were using timers for nitrous, which is like a throttle stop in reverse. Just progam in the right number of thousanths for your shot until you run the number.

I ran no throttle stop, delay box out of car, rpm switch for shifter disabled. I launched .400 pro tree, had two .001 lights, and shifted by hand at a pre-tested spot on the track. Run slower - shift earlier. Run quicker - shift later.

But it throttle stops aren't allowed, nitrous timers shouldn't be either. They accomplish the same thing - ultra-tuneable computer--controlled e.t.'s.
JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote