Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
hadtobethere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: New rules for 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cour View Post

Also, chop .50 off the indexes. Stockers shouldn't be able to run .80 under the Superstock indexes.
I 2nd that......all in favor?
hadtobethere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
Sean Cour

Liked 79 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kennedy View Post
Sean,

Wouldn't you agree that the reason why most stockers run that far under the super stock index is because of the loosening of the rules and the amount of people who run heads that are actually ported?

Too agree, or not. That should have nothing to do with all of the performance gimmees that have been dealt down to the racer over the years. If NHRA is going to change rules, or allow things that shouldn't be allowed, then knock .50 off the indexes. Pretty simple!
Sean Cour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Mark Faul

Liked 43 Times in 9 Posts

If NHRA would allow all the classes at all the national events there would be no need for stockers to run ss.
Mark Faul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Sean Cour

Mark-

If I was independantly wealthy like you, then I could afford to attend all National events. lol!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cour View Post
Too agree, or not. That should have nothing to do with all of the performance gimmees that have been dealt down to the racer over the years. If NHRA is going to change rules, or allow things that shouldn't be allowed, then knock .50 off the indexes. Pretty simple!
Fair enough. But it does hurt a lot of people.

But following that same line of logic... if we are going to allow head porting in stock (let's be honest, it is allowed regardless of what the rules say) why not just kill the class and make everyone run super stock?

How about ... if you lift at 1000 and still run 1.20 or more under your index you get an automatic HP hit? That'll never happen, because it's the fast guys that get hurt.

I like the idea of automatic AHFS at 1.00 under, but it'll never happen. And even if it did, all those fast guys will still lift early... they just lift at half track instead of 1000ft.

Is there a way we can do this without screwing over the slow guys? Or are we just not welcome in stock? I have been told that before...... But I don't think you feel that way.

It's not because I'm not trying. Last year when we brought out the new motor it was .05 over the index. The last time I ran in stock, at the national event, it was going .30 under. It just didn't show... I was running in F, and can't get the car below G weight.

And not just the slow guys, it makes it harder for anyone to get into the class and get their feet wet. That is actually a concern to me because fields are shrinking not growing. I'm afraid by the time I have the dollars and experience to build something fast I won't have very many guys left to race against. I just feel like we need to be keeping this an entry level class. I know I'm probably the only one, but I'd be in favor of having a few import classes so we could get some new blood into the class. I don't want to watch the impending slow death of stock eliminator, but it's pretty much what is happening right before our eyes.

And isn't this a change? I thought in that other thread everyone was against changing anything.

Last edited by Sean Kennedy; 09-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
Mark Faul

Liked 43 Times in 9 Posts

Sean, I think you mean if you were a dumba$$ like me! With no regards to the value of a dollar! LOL
Mark Faul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faul View Post
Sean, I think you mean if you were a dumba$$ like me! With no regards to the value of a dollar! LOL
Mark,

You are living the dream. Even if it isn't the smartest decision financially, I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

And not just the slow guys, it makes it harder for anyone to get into the class and get their feet wet. That is actually a concern to me because fields are growing not shrinking. I'm afraid by the time I have the dollars and experience to build something fast I won't have very many guys left to race against.

Where do you see fields growing?All year,mostly due to the economy,fields are going away.The way it's going you'll probably get into any national with a 3 or 4 grade and things don't look too good for the foreseeable future.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
And not just the slow guys, it makes it harder for anyone to get into the class and get their feet wet. That is actually a concern to me because fields are growing not shrinking. I'm afraid by the time I have the dollars and experience to build something fast I won't have very many guys left to race against.

Where do you see fields growing?All year,mostly due to the economy,fields are going away.The way it's going you'll probably get into any national with a 3 or 4 grade and things don't look too good for the foreseeable future.
Oops Ed, I meant to say it the other way around.... I will go edit it....
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Sean Cour

Sean-

When I started racing 15 yrs.ago, (I know, I sound like a parent) but, I owned Gary Waldo's Nova. Damn good car, still is obviously. My family and I beat on that thing, and we could run .87 under. With all of the "performance enhancements" that have been dealt out, or allowed, don't you think that a index adjustment is warranted? Oh, and that .87 under would get you a top 5 qualifying spot.

A top 5 spot now is at least 1.20-1.35 under. Given where, and when. I just have a view that seems to be fading a little bit. Performance still means something in stock and superstock. You have to learn how to find it, then spend wisely on how to maintain and improve it.

Sean