Views:	276
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	15485  
Tom Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #92
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Suspension Notice for S/SS by NHRA

WOW!!! From what I've heard people think that going to the urethane bushings is the answer to try and cut down on the deflection but this is what you end up with.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #93
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nolan View Post
Broken strut rod photo!
Scary!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #94
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Cobra View Post
WOW!!! From what I've heard people think that going to the urethane bushings is the answer to try and cut down on the deflection but this is what you end up with.
The urethane bushing WILL break the strut rod. Something needs to flex and you don't want it to be a 45 year old strut.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #95
Frank Bialas

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nolan View Post
Broken strut rod photo!
Years back I had terrible bump-steer issues, so bad that I would change 3 idler arms a season until I started eliminating rubber. I know first hand what it's like to change lanes when applying the brakes on top end. the strut design is OK for the local streets and highways but not the harsh abuse/travel the front suspension takes in one of these high flying stockers or super stockers. I have bent steel struts, I've also broken an inner tie rod end due to the severe bump-steer and worst of all trying to do an alignment or maintain your settings becomes a joke especially the caster and toe. I swore I would never install rubber again, but learned real quick that the harder urethane or synthetic bushings life span was unpredictable and or shorter. Currently my upper and lower control arms have solid bushings and I was going to have Mike Roth from MR2 bush my Idler arm, it just seems that the more rubber eliminated the better it feels.When one of these bushings pops the wheel does rub the inner fender, when this happens @ 130 mph plus it suddenly becomes an amusement park ride, except you hope it's over real soon, and hopefully you don't make contact with anything or anyone in the other lane.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #96
FINESPLINE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gentlemen, I have read this thread and all the posts over and over again. I am bracket racer that has no dog in this hunt but will tell you that the car that I own and drive ( sometimes on the street ) has some of the be.st offerings the aftermarket can supply. I say this because the the car was assembled using NHRA stocker rules. It would not take much to make it a legal stocker. What the NHRA has done is an abomination as far as safety is concerned. To say in a letter that this will happen because of skinny front tires, you seriously have to question whether any thought or research was given to that answer. I would be embarrased to give that answer and you should embarrased that you as members of the NHRA pay to have have this person representing you. Has the the NHRA done any research , any R& D or any A B A comparison to come out with this rule. Safety in this sport is job 1. I have no idea what these people are thinking and am glad they don't represent me. There are too many very knowledgeable people in the sport to call upon to settle this problem. I normally don't ramble on like this but I have to say I am with the racers completely on this. SAFETY above all.
FINESPLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #97
Sean Marconette

Liked 182 Times in 62 Posts

Quote of the day. You can't fix stupid!

The seats are one thing, suspension and wheel stands and being able to safely stop is no doubt a safety issue. It seems that the people with cars with this type of suspension, your requests seem to be falling on deaf ears or stupid people in control of safety.

Good luck guys

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #98
acme383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bialas View Post
Years back I had terrible bump-steer issues, so bad that I would change 3 idler arms a season until I started eliminating rubber. I know first hand what it's like to change lanes when applying the brakes on top end. the strut design is OK for the local streets and highways but not the harsh abuse/travel the front suspension takes in one of these high flying stockers or super stockers. I have bent steel struts, I've also broken an inner tie rod end due to the severe bump-steer and worst of all trying to do an alignment or maintain your settings becomes a joke especially the caster and toe. I swore I would never install rubber again, but learned real quick that the harder urethane or synthetic bushings life span was unpredictable and or shorter. Currently my upper and lower control arms have solid bushings and I was going to have Mike Roth from MR2 bush my Idler arm, it just seems that the more rubber eliminated the better it feels.When one of these bushings pops the wheel does rub the inner fender, when this happens @ 130 mph plus it suddenly becomes an amusement park ride, except you hope it's over real soon, and hopefully you don't make contact with anything or anyone in the other lane.
Frank, What did they bush your idler with? Aluminum bushing? What kind of difference did it make? (not to get too far off subject)>
acme383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #99
Dyno

Liked 613 Times in 182 Posts
Angry Re: Suspension Notice for S/SS by NHRA

SECTION 11: SUPER STOCK, BRAKES AND SUSPENSION: 3, SUSPENSION, Front (Page 5) (2/4/2013)

Must retain complete stock front-suspension system as produced by manufacturer for body used. Lift kits/travel limiters permitted. Sway bar optional. Aftermarket tie rods strut rods with heim joints spherical bearings permitted. Electric shocks prohibited. See General Regulations 3:4.

Just posted
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #100
SSDA Hemi

Liked 434 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno View Post
section 11: Super stock, brakes and suspension: 3, suspension, front (page 5) (2/4/2013)

must retain complete stock front-suspension system as produced by manufacturer for body used. Lift kits/travel limiters permitted. Sway bar optional. Aftermarket tie rods strut rods with heim joints spherical bearings permitted. Electric shocks prohibited. See general regulations 3:4.

Just posted
Thanks Dan!