HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Fuel supply around Commerce

Can anyone make a prediction on the fuel supply around Commerce later this week when we all come to town for the LODRS. I read on a RV site that there were lots of stations totally out of fuel around that area, and one person mentioned I-85 and 441 at Commerce as having no fuel available as of this past Friday.

Kenny Wigington or any others in that area, give us some insight as to what we can expect if you can.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Fuel supply around Commerce

Joe, I got gas at the dragway exit (149) Saturday. It's really hit or miss, all around here, for the last 3 weeks. These people are following the tankers and making hour long lines during the day. Best idea I have on that is to buy early early or late at night. No lines that way. Thats what I have started doing this weekend. News keeps saying couple days.... ?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Kenny. I am just trying to figure out where to gas up my motor home before getting to the track. I will have my wife and one daughter along for the trip and they will want the generator running all weekend, so I'm trying to plan accordingly.

See you there.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Sean Ward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Ward

Joe no shortage up there this past weekend well Valdosta had no issues this past weekend i went up there this past weekend had fun but we are not going to Atlanta or silver dollar no more this year only are
assocation races thats only cause we won't have cars ready till next year we decided to stop and regroup
But you super street guys will have it a little easyer cause the fastest super street car won't be there Bart tore it up in valdosta this past week out for year. i am going to silver dollar if ed wants me to annouce'
Sean Ward NHRA s/ss/comp#2882
SW4 MOTORSPORTS
Sean Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
icebrrrg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fuel supply around Commerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Wigington View Post
Joe, I got gas at the dragway exit (149) Saturday. It's really hit or miss, all around here, for the last 3 weeks. These people are following the tankers and making hour long lines during the day. Best idea I have on that is to buy early early or late at night. No lines that way. Thats what I have started doing this weekend. News keeps saying couple days.... ?
Thanks for bringing attention to this Joe and for your response Kenny. From what I have been reading from AJC.com and other sources, the shortage is impacting N.Georgia and regions in NC, SC and TN nearest to No Ga. It sounds like things should improve in the next couple of weeks, but may not be good for this weekend. I understand that diesel hasn't been in as bad of shape, but it sounds like there have been some stations running out of it too.

I have been through gas shortages before and I really don't want to go out of my way to get into another one!

Mark Berg
I/S 2665

Last edited by icebrrrg; 09-29-2008 at 10:45 PM.
icebrrrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Kenny Wigington

Liked 60 Times in 12 Posts

It may be getting better, as quite a few more stations had gas today, with much shorter lines.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Dave Ficacci

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts

I've been in and around Atlanta for the last 3 days and have probably passed 20 - 30 gas stations and not one has been open.
Dave Ficacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Stock4106

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Every day around here gets a little better. I guess the stations are getting more supply or the demand is going down, because they are staying open longer. Most stations I have seen have a max dollar amount ($25-$50 around me), so filling up is not an option. I would recommend that anyone coming this weekend, have enough fuel to get in and out without having to fill up around Atlanta.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Unhappy Re: Fuel supply around Commerce

I have heard today there isn't anything but "regular" available. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the input and replies everyone. We made it to Commerce and back without much excitment, except when we stopped to fuel up in Madison, Ga. and heat from the exhaust manifold had damaged the starter solenoid on the motorhome. Got that figured out then made it to the track and fixed the starter over the weekend.

Luckily our motorhome runs just fine on 87 octane because once we got past Macon that seemed to be all that was available. Also, the further north we traveled the more expensive fuel got. Our first stop was in Unidilla, Ga. at a Flash Foods store where it was $3.68. Then we stopped at the Race Trac in Madison where it was $3.75. When we left the track yesterday we stopped just over I-85 at the T-A truck stop and gas there was $3.89 with a 10 gallon limit, but that was enough to get us back down to Madison and the Race Trac station again. Then today we stopped at Exit 5 on I-75 and got gas there for $3.54.

Funny thing was when we got off of I-75 at Gainesville, gas there was $3.46, which doesn't make sense because Alachua County is suppose to have close to the highest fuel taxes in Florida. Also, did the state of Georgia raise their fuel tax a few years ago? Use to be you could count on fuel being .20 less once you crossed the state line, but not anymore.

Hope everyone has made it home safe, and we plan on seeing you all at Reynolds.