Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #121
Doug Hoven

Liked 793 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: Fine them and then make it legal. Wowwser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG56 View Post
Billy, I don't think they've seen your Novas. It has been a while...
Well 2 out of three are still out and about at the track. Me being a young kid racing a 70 Nova, to be completely honest, most of my friends don't show the slightest interest in it. Now, someone drives by with a Miata, RX7, Diesel pickup, they all turn their heads. I've also found that when I would bring the Nova to a test and tune night, the car drew a lot more attention when it had the 6 cylinder in it than recently now that it is "just another nova with a 350." I think the concept of what has become "cool" amongst "young" gearheads has definitely changed. I think part of the issue, as Billy stated above, is that the younger generation has ultimately been priced out of the classic American car market. I'm very lucky to have found an old man that is letting me race the wheels off of his 28k mile Nova. If not, I'd probably be racing a cavalier.......
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #122
Ron Ortiz

Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts

Hey Billy, here is your answer for go fast paint. Some time ago I had a 3D camera with four lenses. When the film was developed it was applied to a paper backing with raised lines on it, it was called lenticular paper. They used it for the bottom of America's Cup boats which made them faster in the water. It was also used on submarines. I told the late Don Schumacher about it and he looked into it but NHRA said no he wasn't allowed to use it. I know it's not paint, but it was paper thin.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #123
1700camaro

Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
I could get behind that too if they didn't blow the tires off so often. Making that 9" tire work on NHRA national event prepped surfaces has appeared to be very challenging given all the hp under the hood. Outside of the very strict rule book, it has just become another radial class where the cars go or don't go. I've never found that enjoyable in any form.
I like that they're pushing the limits on that tire. I have a set of the Hoosier 9" Factory Stock radials. While I have limited runs on the tire, they're great for a show. I haven't spun them yet on a bracket racing prep track. While I don't have the power or performance of the FS cars. I do think I'm pushing the limits bracket racing on 9" & 10.5" radials running high 8's & high 5's.

Regardless, I relate to the class & can understand why some don't like blowing the tires off. My car consistently goes down the track in less-than-ideal conditions without spinning the tires. To each their own, I enjoy both!
1700camaro is offline   Reply With Quote