HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2024, 05:49 PM   #11
Kevin Panzino

Liked 618 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: US-Gear 12-bolt pro gear issues ???

Again, thank you all very much for the replies. Going through my records over the years, I have had from .023 to .032 pinion shim, and in the beginning I didn't even measure pinion depth, I just started with a .020 and focused on pattern and went from there. So I tend to think my .032" is not likely in left field. I do believe I got myself crossed up though with the cheap Proform tool that had my depth off by .008" compared to a ground flat bar, and a depth mic which is what I just did this time to look into it further, (albeit using the cap face as Centerline, which I still have to look into and understand.)

But I have good preload on pinion and carrier, I have a good looking drive paste pattern, and .008" backlash. So the axles are going back in and its all get buttoned up to run the Dutch.
I do think I will be ordering a Richmond set to put in over the winter however. It will be very interesting to see how that set is with essentially the same setup values.

I must admit, I am still somewhat wondering if my housing has had some warpage/movement over the years, because I will say I always have had a loud coastdown after clicking it into clean neutral. Its just that with this set, it is crazy loud, and I really got concerned when I could feel individual vibration pulses as it coasted to a stop, and as I gravity rolled down the staging lanes at the grove last week..

Thanks again to everyone. This forum is a blessing. Googling this kind of detail gets you pages of some guy on a Chevelle or Camaro street forum talking about how great so and so company is that he bought his entire rear-end from...

Kp

Last edited by Kevin Panzino; 09-22-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 09:03 PM   #12
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 424 Times in 96 Posts

I run the same gear in mine with no issues. 5:57 US pro gear. I have found in most cases that a .035-.037 pinion shim is right on the money. .008-.011 BL. Pattern is right on the money both sides. But that doesn't mean you got a bad set. A few years ago we had set of Richmond pro gears in my wifes car. Set them up with a perfect pattern. 20 runs they sheared all the teeth off. Only conclusion we came up with is that they weren't heat treated properly or were a set of street gears marked as a pro gear set.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #13
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 891 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Again, thank you all very much for the replies. Going through my records over the years, I have had from .023 to .032 pinion shim, and in the beginning I didn't even measure pinion depth, I just started with a .020 and focused on pattern and went from there. So I tend to think my .032" is not likely in left field. I do believe I got myself crossed up though with the cheap Proform tool that had my depth off by .008" compared to a ground flat bar, and a depth mic which is what I just did this time to look into it further, (albeit using the cap face as Centerline, which I still have to look into and understand.)

But I have good preload on pinion and carrier, I have a good looking drive paste pattern, and .008" backlash. So the axles are going back in and its all get buttoned up to run the Dutch.
I do think I will be ordering a Richmond set to put in over the winter however. It will be very interesting to see how that set is with essentially the same setup values.

I must admit, I am still somewhat wondering if my housing has had some warpage/movement over the years, because I will say I always have had a loud coastdown after clicking it into clean neutral. Its just that with this set, it is crazy loud, and I really got concerned when I could feel individual vibration pulses as it coasted to a stop, and as I gravity rolled down the staging lanes at the grove last week..

Thanks again to everyone. This forum is a blessing. Googling this kind of detail gets you pages of some guy on a Chevelle or Camaro street forum talking about how great so and so company is that he bought his entire rear-end from...

Kp
Pattern and backlash is the only thing that is necessary. I haven?t used a pinion depth device in thirty years and haven?t had any breakage or noises.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:51 AM   #14
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 118 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post

Kp
Kevin
I recommend the T&D pinion depth tool....also shows you how to set up gears without any pinion depth numbers on them, works great. I have only used it and before, I believe maybe Kent-Moore my Dad has had since the 60's,in a white plastic case.
On my stocker a few years ago, I put a shim behind rear pinion race ... so far every pinion I put in it comes out to the correct depth, for that pinion, with that same shim....
Every now and then you get a gear set that you have to move around from pinion depth, backlash setting that's on gear.
i had a US gear I tried,didn't work.. took it out and after it was ran and the black oxide was worn off.the finish on the gear was rough ground look,the black oxide was hiding
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked