HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #1
Bill Bogues

Liked 171 Times in 53 Posts
Angry fuel shutoff valve

I'm confused about this fuel shutoff valve. I have a carb car and the way I'm reading this I have to have a shutoff valve within reach in the drivers compartment. I'm a little dense but I don't like the idea of running a fuel line inside the drivers area.I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #2
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 722 Times in 278 Posts
Default Re: fuel shutoff valve

Bill,
The way I read it is if you run a mechanical fuel pump & carbs or a mechenical FI with mechanical pump you need the shutoff valve. EFI or Electric pumps it is not required.
I would think the reasoning behind it would be shut the fuel off just like the electric system shut off. I hope I'm understanding it as NHRA intends..

Last edited by Adger Smith; Yesterday at 06:54 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 7,107 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bogues View Post
I'm confused about this fuel shutoff valve. I have a carb car and the way I'm reading this I have to have a shutoff valve within reach in the drivers compartment. I'm a little dense but I don't like the idea of running a fuel line inside the drivers area.I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
Calm down Bill, ain?t a stocker in the world that is required to run the fuel line INSIDE the car ….
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #4
Cglrcng

Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Type into a search window on yahoo "Electric or manual fuel shutoff valves"

Look around in both versions there are many choices (those can be mounted in the fuel lines outside the driver's compartment, and either a switch or cable or rod actuated within reach of the driver. (Most are simply a ball valve that cuts off the fuel flow even though the manual fuel pump actuator is going to continue to attempt to draw and deliver
fuel to the carb(s)as long as engine rpm are happening, the tank or cell supply is simply cut off.

I hope that helps (there are a few options of how to accomplish the task), could give you a few examples easily both manual and electronic and switch or handle is activated in the driver's compartment while the physical valve is mounted elsewhere (underhood, under car, in trunk, but having zero fuel lines ever running through the driver's compartment). Fuel system rules require a proper bulkhead(s) between the system and any driver's compartment of the proper materials and required thicknesses.

Hope that info helps you find a reasonable legal solution.