HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-09-2024, 11:26 AM   #1
Racer9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Need info before build.

I'm planning to do a bit of racing, but I would like to know my options before I make mistakes.
I have a 3rd gen Camaro that was raced before so it has a cage and some other goodies.
I plan a mild 350/th350 build mostly to keep costs down as I'm more interested in enjoying myself than setting a new world record. I don't expect to get down to 11's, I'll be happy consistently in the mid/high 12's.
One of the things I'm trying to understand is the interior. Can I strip it or not?
Only thing I can find in IHRA rulebook on page 60 says "cars that require upholstery must have carpet, headliner, door panels... etc."
How do I know if my car requires upholstery? It's not a street car, race only.
Racer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 11:31 AM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,689 Times in 537 Posts
Default Re: Need info before build.

If this is only going to be a bracket car strip her down!!!!!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-09-2024, 11:47 AM   #3
Racer9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you so much. I started pulling stuff out and thought I'd seen somewhere that interior must be intact and wanted to verify.
Yeah, race only, probably bracket/gambler.
Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #4
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,689 Times in 537 Posts

Just as a reminder every Gram is worth something in ET go inside the doors and cut out the safety bars, cut out all the stuff you don?t need, replace with aluminum if desired and also remember if four bolts hold something on 2 will probably be just fine
Get under that dash rip out everything not necessary I however, like to keep a little bit of look to an original car, but that?s up to you. rip out all the wiring and start over that heavy wiring harness is not needed anymore. Plenty of aluminum or plastic aftermarket seats one is only needed. Take out the back seat, really go to work on this car. You can get a lot of weight out of it.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 06-09-2024, 01:14 PM   #5
Racer9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks a bunch. The car was already raced so much of the stuff is already gone, but some remains. The guy I bought it from wanted to be able to drive it to the track and race.
I will eliminate as much as I can, it'll be on the trailer to the track.
It already has front drag shocks, Mosier axles, line lock, gauges, cage, fuel cell, torque arm, sub frame connectors, race seats and belts, lexan side windows, fiberglass hood with scoop, and is in good shape body wise.
I will finish stripping the interior, see where else I can cut weight, and go over the wiring, plumbing, and mechanicals.
Plan is to freshen a 350 I was given, add a cam/lifters, bolt to a th350 with a good converter, and get on the track.
Once I gain some experience, slide some nice heads on it and see where I can go.
Liked