Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-17-2024, 06:52 PM   #11
CMcAllister

Liked 760 Times in 211 Posts
Default Re: Nhra enters gambling world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Heath View Post
Surely the additional revenue this brings will be reinvested in race purses, reducing entry costs, and improving the fan experience, right?
sure, sure
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:56 PM   #12
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,153 Times in 785 Posts

The National Hot Rod Association is misguided to say the least.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 08:48 PM   #13
MoJo Risen

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts

As soon as there is legal gambling there is corruption, time to get out.. And I thought Junior Dragsters were bad enough, pfff. This brings a whole new CLOWN SHOW to light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Haddad View Post
NHRA announced today that we will now be able to bet on the Mission Food Series Races. While we all heard and knew this was coming, I was hoping, maybe dreaming, that the Lucas Oil Series would be included. I know the variables in our style of racing would be extremely hard for the sports books to keep up with, I thought that might put the odds in our favor, at least temporarily. Then the lightning bolt struck. We're NHRA Sportsman racers and we don't have any money left to gamble after a weekend of chasing grade points or running National Events. ( Not that we didn't have fun, we did.

J.R.

Last edited by MoJo Risen; 05-17-2024 at 09:41 PM.
MoJo Risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:18 PM   #14
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,295 Times in 610 Posts

Wally Parks and the other founding fathers are probably saying what are they doing to a great thing.

N.H.R.A. - - the downward spiral is gaining speed.
Liked
Old 05-20-2024, 06:12 AM   #15
Cglrcng

Liked 144 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
NHRA announced today that we will now be able to bet on the Mission Food Series Races. While we all heard and knew this was coming, I was hoping, maybe dreaming, that the Lucas Oil Series would be included. I know the variables in our style of racing would be extremely hard for the sports books to keep up with, I thought that might put the odds in our favor, at least temporarily. Then the lightning bolt struck. We're NHRA Sportsman racers and we don't have any money left to gamble after a weekend of chasing grade points or running National Events. ( Not that we didn't have fun, we did.

J.R.
Wait, wait what? Bet on as in gamble on, not just allow odds makers/ sports books as sponsors of race cars?

I can just imagine the trouble that could eventually cause (when just 1 sponsored team or even team member decides to take a bite out of both apples, and grab the money on both ends...talk about corruption, and gets caught doing so running for/taking money from a major corporate sponsor and bets against their own operation (having your cake and eating it too...win/win from a win or loss), there would be a mass exodus of sponsors heading for the get us the hell out of here door!

Somebody just is not thinking too far ahead of all the bad things that could cause for sure.

Then again, if that happens then at least for a while, Class Racing Could become the show if we are not included. At least until they reform the Pro Ranks after the worst happens.

Who am I kidding, they did not change a major rule package (namely "Race Proceedures" for 15 years so far after adding the "Sure Start System"), so reforming the new "Yeah Let's All Gamble" on the Pro Ranks Together" rule will never be overturned.

This change reminds me of the recent downing of Red Lobster after they just auctioned off all the goods/equipment/and fixtures in almost all of the locations across the country after closing them all unannounced.

And all because of some wild All You Can Eat Shrimp Deal was put into place to fill up the seats of their locations. It did, with a ton of hungry all you can eat kind of people, and they ate, and ate, and ate, and before they knew it, the deal ate them right out of business. And it happened before the bean counters even noticed it was happening, then they saw the bottom line was a huge bigly Red Number with a gigantic minus sign in front of it.

Just proves there can be too much of a good thing. On the other hand, who would bet on any car running a Top Fuel engine. Sure over the long haul (if driven by a Force, Kalitta, etc., but on any given pass or single race day? (Horses don't have anywhere near as many working parts, and they do not eat explosive fuel while they are running). Show me the racing form bloodline of that Top Fuel Funny Car please.

I know, I know Chad Langdon will probably argue, and very successfully, with me on that last example...lmao

You raised a fine boy old man, and the talent transferred via the bloodline and genetics and then some. But, Nature/Nurture is still an arguable point, when looking at ultimate causation.

No matter what, IMHO, NHRA is taking a huge gamble. I hope they win, or our sport may be a gonner.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:40 AM   #16
Cglrcng

Liked 144 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:

J.R.

I would argue the variables in our ranks are a lot less than in the Top Fuel ranks, as I have over thousands of dialed in passes in my lifetime never dropped a cylinder on a pass, or gone into tire shake on the leave (ok, I have been lucky, and all except that one recent idiotic idea of adding slime to my slicks to seal up a slow leak), but that wasn't done during competition. And we have shoe polish to correct even the smallest of errors or track/air differences unless it is heads up in class.even the Sportsman lights are easier to react to and predict or sharpen up to. There are not 10-20 people working on my car to have at least 1 have a bad day rebuilding it between each run down the track. Just changing a cyl sleeve or 2, is tantamount to taking each of us out and doing a heart valve replacement or bypass in between rounds. Lol.

The fuelers variables are tremendous in comparison I could easily argue. We would as a group be the better bet, but, I am glad we are not going to be.

A field of 16 fuel cars, vs 109 Stockers, the odds are a lot better picking a 16-1 shot, than a 109-1 shot, but our paying odds would be nicer bank. And just as predictable.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:43 AM   #17
JP1738

Liked 345 Times in 107 Posts

I don't plan on venturing any wagers, but personally, I think this is great. More revenue for the sanctioning body we enjoy participating with, more eyes and interest from outside drag racing's normal reach, and more ways for me to enjoy national events. I think it's a win all around.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:46 PM   #18
Chevy55

Liked 173 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
I don't plan on venturing any wagers, but personally, I think this is great. More revenue for the sanctioning body we enjoy participating with, more eyes and interest from outside drag racing's normal reach, and more ways for me to enjoy national events. I think it's a win all around.
I can't wait, when does the trickle start? LOL
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:24 AM   #19
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy55 View Post
I can't wait, when does the trickle start? LOL
I seriously doubt that we will see anything other than a continued place to showcase drag racing.

It amazes me that so many on here act like the NHRA lives in a bubble. The economy has the same impact on them as it does us. This whole them-vs-us is dumb.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #20
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 384 Posts

I place my bets trackside or in the stands
Straight ca$h homie