HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
Fred Elsass

Liked 263 Times in 34 Posts
Default Entries at national events

When did NHRA put quotas on national events and why??

It seems counter intuitive to limit the number of Stock and Super Stock cars since it is a cash cow for NHRA. First and second round runner-ups get sent packing with 0$. The entry fees allow NHRA to give the PRO'S free entry.

Some of the races are limited to 55 cars. DUH. How many bye runs are in a field of 55??????? I am not a math wizard but would it not be 3?

I attended my first race in 1955 at the Akron, Ohio airport.. Saw the first Green Monster. Ran at Magnolia in 1960 using a flag man. Set first record in 1973. Won first national event in 1977. Is there anyone out there who remembers when drag racing was fun??

Sarge
Fred Elsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
garyc

Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: Entries at national events

as far as i can remember 10-15 years, at one time there was not enough room or time to run so many cars
garyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 379 Times in 101 Posts

started at a few tracks then expanded >> 60 in vegas is biggest joke ... could park 3x indy at that place !!

you coming to indy ????

captain
Old 06-10-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 204 Times in 82 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Well that may be an issue at some tracks, but with only 4wks and 2.5 days left to enter, That may not be an issue at one of the remaining the Dodge Power Brokers Mile High Nationals! I entered the race on May 11th, thinking I was going to be challenged for the 9th entry into the Stock Eliminator category, with my seven grade points. Much to my surprise (sort of because of the dreaded North 40 pit area north of everything), grade three's have been allowed to enter as of Wednesday and still only nine entries in Stock. Even more surprising is seeing that (to date), only one sportsman category (Super Comp) has more than 50% of their quota filled....52.7%)! Super Stock only has 4 entries, and Top Sportsman has "0"!!!!

The good part of this (if it holds), is the North 40 may become an option for racers and not needed for pit spaces? However, I know this won't last because there's several Colorado racers yet to enter, and this is their home track!!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
Fred Elsass

Liked 263 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy View Post
started at a few tracks then expanded >> 60 in vegas is biggest joke ... could park 3x indy at that place !!

you coming to indy ????

captain

No. There is a family reunion in England (my bride is from there) and folks are coming from Australia, Canada, France, Scotland, Switzerland. Many have not seen each other is more than 30 years. For many this will be the last opportunity to share.

Would like to have someone enter my Maverick at Indy.
Fred Elsass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
Dragrac419

Liked 183 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Elsass View Post
No. There is a family reunion in England (my bride is from there) and folks are coming from Australia, Canada, France, Scotland, Switzerland. Many have not seen each other is more than 30 years. For many this will be the last opportunity to share.

Would like to have someone enter my Maverick at Indy.
Fred, you have a PM
Liked
Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,185 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Elsass View Post
When did NHRA put quotas on national events and why??

It seems counter intuitive to limit the number of Stock and Super Stock cars since it is a cash cow for NHRA. First and second round runner-ups get sent packing with 0$. The entry fees allow NHRA to give the PRO'S free entry.

Some of the races are limited to 55 cars. DUH. How many bye runs are in a field of 55??????? I am not a math wizard but would it not be 3?

I attended my first race in 1955 at the Akron, Ohio airport.. Saw the first Green Monster. Ran at Magnolia in 1960 using a flag man. Set first record in 1973. Won first national event in 1977. Is there anyone out there who remembers when drag racing was fun??

Sarge
Fred,
The Quotas started roughly about 15-20 years ago but, at that time you had a quota of 75-80 per class (Excluding Indy which always was around 164). As events went from 4 days to 3 days the quotas got smaller and smaller, right now only 9 out of 22 events are 4 days (Even though 1/2 the field gets to the track on a Monday to stack). When Fox became the TV supplier of NHRA the quotas shrunk even more because they were offering more "Live" TV on a mainstream network meaning everything became timed out so when Fox said at 4pm we're going "Live" with Nitro finals, they were at the line ready to go at 4pm. Just this past year at VMP, Super Stock was 1/2 way through their eliminations with Worner and Robbie D doing a burn out at the line and they were told to back up and we'll run you later because they were approaching the 12pm Pro Elim start. This year NHRA started a quota by race, meaning they would release a quota number normally in December of all 22-23 events for the total year but, this year they did it where the day before the event was to open to a Grade 8, they release the quotas, some were dead on.....others were crazy (60 at Gainesville...it filled in like 8 hours total for all the sportsman). They basically want to reward the racers who go to 7-8 divisional races in a year because they are the "Professional Sportsman" who support the Lucas Series on a regular basis, the guy who goes to one race who spills oil down on every run doesn't have a shot at some nationals. Some tracks like Denver and Probably Seattle will be lucky to get 40-50% full but, you have places like Vegas that will get 160 Super Comp cars for the Lucas Race but, only take 70 for the National.

Last edited by BKSG1198; 06-13-2022 at 10:00 AM.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 250 Times in 107 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Well that may be an issue at some tracks, but with only 4wks and 2.5 days left to enter, That may not be an issue at one of the remaining the Dodge Power Brokers Mile High Nationals! I entered the race on May 11th, thinking I was going to be challenged for the 9th entry into the Stock Eliminator category, with my seven grade points. Much to my surprise (sort of because of the dreaded North 40 pit area north of everything), grade three's have been allowed to enter as of Wednesday and still only nine entries in Stock. Even more surprising is seeing that (to date), only one sportsman category (Super Comp) has more than 50% of their quota filled....52.7%)! Super Stock only has 4 entries, and Top Sportsman has "0"!!!!

The good part of this (if it holds), is the North 40 may become an option for racers and not needed for pit spaces? However, I know this won't last because there's several Colorado racers yet to enter, and this is their home track!!!!
Gary, when you roll in they'll tell you where you're pitting. Last year Stock was planned on being in the north end, period.
Any pit space can be a winner!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #9
bobbyd6

Liked 72 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post

Colorado racers won't even go because of the North 40!!!