Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,695 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: water pump circuit breaker pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
I have a question. You come back from a run, lets say your in the semi finals. You know you have 20 minutes and they will be calling you back up to the lanes.Your 16 volt batteries are way low, and they are a constant worry (especially in a Fuel Injected engine), but your engine needs 40 degrees drug back out of it... If you can not run the pump while your charging, your not heading up the lands prepared. What it sounds like is all water pumps should have a 12 volt step down, right ?
I have a plug on my fan and pump. After a run I cool the car using a separate battery. Just unplug from the car harness and plug in to the harness on the separate battery. That way I can turn off the battery disconnect switch in the car to charge the battery and cool the car as needed. Works excellent
Old 11-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
Dave Gantz

Liked 232 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I have a plug on my fan and pump. After a run I cool the car using a separate battery. Just unplug from the car harness and plug in to the harness on the separate battery. That way I can turn off the battery disconnect switch in the car to charge the battery and cool the car as needed. Works excellent
Ed Wright (Hasn't been on here for a while, a post on here said his health isn't good. Hey Ed?) posted here about a similar system. Sounds like a great idea.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
1legjerry

Liked 59 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
I have a question. You come back from a run, lets say your in the semi finals. You know you have 20 minutes and they will be calling you back up to the lanes.Your 16 volt batteries are way low, and they are a constant worry (especially in a Fuel Injected engine), but your engine needs 40 degrees drug back out of it... If you can not run the pump while your charging, your not heading up the lands prepared. What it sounds like is all water pumps should have a 12 volt step down, right ?
I think you will find all your 12 volt electronics will last longer if you don't run them when on the battery charger.

An alternator would help, You wouldn't need to worry about the ignition getting 16 volts while the engine is running.

Like other have said a step down resistor

A small 12 volt jump box to run just the pump and fans between rounds.
1legjerry is offline   Reply With Quote