HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default Truck Dana

Ok, before going this route, is using one in a stock car a deal breaker, from what I see the only difference is the pinion snubber pad. And if using one that only came in a car, why is the S60 allowed? I don't see the reasoning today other than keeping Ford and Chevy from using it because it came in their trucks too?
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Truck Dana

Many of the truck version Dana 60's have 3.250 diameter axle tubes rather than the passenger car 3" tubes. -Al
Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts

I know of people that have turned the tubes down to 3", as they are extra thick as well.
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
Ok, before going this route, is using one in a stock car a deal breaker, from what I see the only difference is the pinion snubber pad. And if using one that only came in a car, why is the S60 allowed? I don't see the reasoning today other than keeping Ford and Chevy from using it because it came in their trucks too?
Mike
You can use one in a leaf spring Stocker Mopar or AMC , but they didn't come in GM or Ford cars . The Rule book specifically says no truck rearends in Stock , but if you weld on the tubes on a 3.250" Dana , I don't think you could tell the difference. They are legal in all brands in Super Stock .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Coleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
You can use one in a leaf spring Stocker Mopar or AMC , but they didn't come in GM or Ford cars . The Rule book specifically says no truck rearends in Stock , but if you weld on the tubes on a 3.250" Dana , I don't think you could tell the difference. They are legal in all brands in Super Stock .
My dads 68 GMC (bought new and I still have) has a "truck" Dana 60 under it and many Fords do also. New 3" CM tubes can be pressed in, all are 3" in the housing no matter what the tube diameter is.
Maybe NHRA meant no dump truck rears. LOL
Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
My dads 68 GMC (bought new and I still have) has a "truck" Dana 60 under it and many Fords do also. New 3" CM tubes can be pressed in, all are 3" in the housing no matter what the tube diameter is.
Might want to talk to your Division Tech Guy on this question , but my take on it is a truck rear cant be swapped into to a car even if the truck is the same manufacturer.
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
rawhide

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Ford started using the 60 in 1955 and Studebaker used it in 1956. Must have been 10 million of these made in the last 63 years.

Roland
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I wonder if even your local tech director would even know....

When I asked Jim Anderson about running a 2 piece driveshaft, he had to call Pomona because he and I both thought it was illegial, but no mention at all in the RB...Pomona said it was legal, so I did it. Just means I have 4 DS loops instead of 2. It allowed me to go to a driveshaft with a higher critical speed given the extreme length of a XC truck.

This may be same issue...get clarification on the rule...Maybe no dually/FF rear ends? As raised above, depending on how the RB is written, would that mean that the stock trucks couldn't even use a truck axle, or just not cars? IMO using a 3.25 truck axle would be stronger (equals safer) than a 3"...granted that's pretty big already.

Definitely ask your division director, and when in doubt, have them ask Pomona.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Maybe the prohibition against the "truck rearends" was based on the fact that a great many of the 3/4-ton (and up) trucks used a "full-floating" axle? I know they were a popular upgrade for the circle-track folks, at least until the Frankland/Winters style became popular. The rule has been on the books forever, and probably easier to enforce than "no full-floating axles". Would be interesting to see what the Tech Department in Indy has to say!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
Coleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Silverman View Post
Maybe the prohibition against the "truck rearends" was based on the fact that a great many of the 3/4-ton (and up) trucks used a "full-floating" axle? I know they were a popular upgrade for the circle-track folks, at least until the Frankland/Winters style became popular. The rule has been on the books forever, and probably easier to enforce than "no full-floating axles". Would be interesting to see what the Tech Department in Indy has to say!
This is what I thought too, back in the day I think it was Marvin Ripes who had a 68 Camero who used the complete, full floating rear from a truck. Kinda funny with it sticking out and 8 lug wheels. The pre-historic days LOL