HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 04-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
jlamb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jones Head - Racers Only

Racers,

Myself along with other SRAC rep's have received many phone calls and emails about the new Jones approved SBC cylinder head. At this point we have not taken a stance on this but in an effort to get more information on the head I contacted Erik Jones. At the conclusion of the conversation we decided it would be a good idea to have an open forum for questions or concerns with the head. This will better inform all of us and help both the SRAC and the racers with their stance on the head being legal.

We would ask that all racers who comment please put your name and car number. We also ask that non racers do not comment on this thread. Please keep this very professional and factual.

Thank you,
Justin Lamb
jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: Jones Head - Racers Only

I don't use the Chevy head so I don't vote. Thanks Justin for keeping us all informed.

Larry Hill

383 Stock
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

I have no problem with the replacement heads as long as they don't give an unfair advantage. If the replacement head is a better head than the stock head it should carry a horsepower penalty. From what I have read this head has angle plug configuration. I don't know if that makes a big difference or not. Typically the angle plug heads are more of a performance head. Also some of the aftermarket heads have been talked about having larger ports than the factory head. Both of these items should have a horsepower penalty. I have a stock of the factory heads for my car so I don't see myself putting aftermarket head on my car any time soon. If I was to build an new set it would be from a set of aftermarket brand new castings not 50 year old factory castings. One good point is that there is still interest from the aftermarket to make heads so we can continue to race the older combo's. I have been racing my car for 40 years.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts

Is the Jones legal for Stock and S/S? If it's legal for Stock with the angled spark plug I'd like to know how that happened. Pontiac racers have been trying to get a head approved for a few years now and have been told no because all the aftermarket heads have angled plugs.

Adam Strang
Stk 1018
Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
TILBURG

Liked 40 Times in 4 Posts

Ok I guess I'll be the first to jump in. In no way is anything I say intended to bash mr Jones. NHRA has been going down the aftermarket path for some time. Not saying it's all been for the best but that's for you guys to judge. But this one until somethings get cleared up I do have a problem with. The angle plug deal Im not going to waste anytime with that there are enough people on here to debate that. But if in fact the head was cast by somebody for Eric then that's a game changer in the world of aftermarket heads. That I'm not sure we should be going down. Do I feel there should be a porters head for s/s? Yes As long as its coming from a manufacturer that anybody else can call summit jegs etc and get the same thing. If the pictures that were forwarded to me were correct it's just a AFR head with the logo machined off. But I'm not here to say the photos were correct. I guess in the end my question is if they allow a person to have there own casting or control over the casting where is this going to ever end?

Last edited by TILBURG; 04-10-2018 at 06:36 PM.
TILBURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts

The Jones head is SS only, not stock. It’s not the first angle plug SBC head in SS, 2 of the 4 edelbrock heads accepted on a bunch of SBC are angle plug.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

I'm going to say this as a semi retired competitor and engine builder. Take it for what it is worth.

I'm not even sure there should be a "porter's head" allowed. That's really not in the spirit of Super Stock. Not every combination has one available.

In all honesty, if there is a bare unmachined casting available for a certain head, that head shouldn't be legal.

Why? Because it is an unnecessary escalation that makes tech nearly impossible, drives the cost up even further, and defies the spirit of the class. Heads available in rough or cast form, barely machined, allowing valve seat and valve guide locations to be significantly altered, along with other modifications that would be difficult and/or cost prohibitive just aren't what the classes need.

While it is true that there were millions of small block Chevy engines built, there have also been at least half that many raced, and there have not been many replacement castings made in a long damned time. Face it, the small block Chevy is the sportsman motorsports engine.Even though it was produced for nearly 5 decades, eventually, at the rate it is raced and used in hot rods, the cores have been used up at an alarming rate.

However, there have been reasonable facsimiles of the original parts made for a while, the aftermarket has made cast iron cylinder heads with 64cc to 72cc chambers, and 164cc to 172cc ports, for decades. Those could be accepted replacements, and that should be good enough.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
TILBURG

Liked 40 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hill View Post
The Jones head is SS only, not stock. It’s not the first angle plug SBC head in SS, 2 of the 4 edelbrock heads accepted on a bunch of SBC are angle plug.
Andrew, yes it's s/s only I got that part. Who's casting is it? Yes Edelbrock has angle plug heads on the list. They could put the plug in the center of the head and give it a "NHRA" part number But if the number don't match anything in the guide it's pretty much useless.
Like the post said "racer only" so if the racers spending the money don't give a s*** why am I?? I'll just step out of this and watch it unfold.
TILBURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Joey Bohannon

Liked 61 Times in 21 Posts

Joe Bohannon
Super Stock/JA 3678

While I think it's great that people are putting in the time and effort to better the parts that are available for us to buy and race, I don't feel like they should be superior in design to the ones that are already available. That is the job of the engine builder and cylinder head Porter. For a competitor and competitive engine builder to have the ultimate control of the castings in my opinion is a bad idea. There are too many variables that can be adjusted that would make one head better than another with little ability to tell with the naked eye. Port design, valve angle, valve placement, wall thickness, all come to mind and all could be adjusted. While I'm sure Mr. Jones has a fortune tied up in this I really feel as though it would be bad for the direction of the class, not only for the other brands that these parts have to compete against but also for the individuals running similar combinations. I really wish that this could have been a discussion prior to anyone spending the amount of money that this man did as I personally would rather not see them in the class. We already have available options, why do we need more unless they are designed to supersede an existing product. I will say this, there are few people in the sport right now that's working as hard as this man is working, and he will find new ways to be fast regardless of how this turns out. Thanks for the motivation.
Joey Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TILBURG View Post
Ok I guess I'll be the first to jump in. In no way is anything I say intended to bash mr Jones. NHRA has been going down the aftermarket path for some time. Not saying it's all been for the best but that's for you guys to judge. But this one until somethings get cleared up I do have a problem with. The angle plug deal Im not going to waste anytime with that there are enough people on here to debate that. But if in fact the head was cast by somebody for Eric then that's a game changer in the world of aftermarket heads. That I'm not sure we should be going down. Do I feel there should be a porters head for s/s? Yes As long as its coming from a manufacturer that anybody else can call summit jegs etc and get the same thing. If the pictures that were forwarded to me were correct it's just a AFR head with the logo machined off. But I'm not here to say the photos were correct. I guess in the end my question is if they allow a person to have there own casting or control over the casting where is this going to ever end?
Tilburg,

Hopefully i can clear up some of the issues with this whole deal. NHRA actually has a pretty strict guideline on their accepted products. I have been working on making parts and getting them approved and on the list for about 2 years. I have Pistons and now Cylinder Heads along with other parts like rockers, carb plates etc.. that i designed to fix specific problem. All of the NHRA accepted products have to be available to the general public and that is exactly what i have done. Anyone can buy my accepted products directly as stated on my web site.

With that being said i followed the same procedure as any of the companies on the list and waited my turn. I have heard for years that we need a smaller casting to start with so that is what i did. This is a fully machined head with seats and guides installed (in the approved location) just like the 4 other approved SBC heads on the list except i eliminated the "bogus welding" so any racer could start with the exact same platform as everyone else without the cost. In my opinion this levels the ball field. NHRA knows exactly who casts the heads because that is the first requirement on the letter that gets submitted. This is no different that the FE Pro Port casting that we have had for years.