HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #91
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Help!! Engine Miss

MexJoe - I'm running a 4-spd, so the nuetral safety switch is built into the clutch pedal, with a jumper harness that plugs into where an auto trans would plug into the factory harness. I haven't replaced the clutch pedal switch, and quite honestly hadn't thought about it. My back already hurts just thinking about trying to contort myself far enough under the dash to replace this. I did very recently replace the jumper harness going to the switch, but the switch is another couple inches up from there. My question is: is this switch even energized once the vehicle has started, and the ignition switch is back to the "on" position?

Monte - If I understand what you're saying, the answer is no. I'm running the factory Quadrajet linkage. Not sure about the front metering rods.

Tony; Terry - I unplugged the tach last year, with no change. I too had heard or seen mention of tachs doing silly things. This was one of the first things I tried.

Larry - I'm still utilizing the factory wiring harness. Considering the fact that I've installed an HEI, with a wire running direct to the battery, what does this leave?

Thanks.

-Ben
Ben Kallies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #92
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Get tdc on each cyl and it will stay,if balancer does'nt have all marks you can listen for air to come out hose as you turn right when it stops will be close sometimes it takes a try or 2
If you leak with rockers on that will show rocker/lifters are problem or not,if have leakage retest without rockers.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #93
Joe Martens

Liked 189 Times in 65 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

Ben, do you have a rev limiter? Disconnect it if you do!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #94
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MIke,

Thanks for the tips on leakdown.

Joe,

I've disconnected my 2-step, with no change. Thanks.

-Ben
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #95
monte442

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Are you using a shift light ? I had an Autometer shift light that was acting like a rev limiter.
monte442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #96
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Monte,

I've got an Autometer shift light, triggered by an MSD RPM activation switch. I disconnected this as well in the course of testing.

-Ben
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #97
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so the leakdown test is done. I checked each cylinder twice with the same results each time. Results are as follows:

cyl 1 12%
cyl 8 10%
cyl 7 11%
cyl 3 7%
cyl 6 5%
cyl 5 12%
cyl 4 11%
cyl 2 8%

It's my impression that these results are good. Thoughts, comments? Is a compression test still necessary, or do these results verify the health of the engine?

Thanks,

-Ben
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #98
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure what you are running for rings, but if that was my numbers the engine would be out of the car. Either way, ring seal would not cause the problem you are describing.

Did you warm the engine up a bit before beginning your test?

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #99
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Thats not great but not terrible,10% or less is good naturally the less the better,2-3%is really good. I would remove rockers and intake manifold,headers and hook air straight from air hose full pressure to plug holes and cover port with hand to see if feel pressure leak through valves,if air is coming through intake valve at all engine will not run right compression coming back in intake runner messes with signal to carb.

I have seen engine leakdown good compression test show good,but find valves leaking with air, seal valves and fix problem,may not be problem with your's but I would test it.

If intake valves are leaking enough it could act like your description,compression leaking in runner messes signal to carb.will make miss or can make unable to tune you can change jets and not make any difference I seen one w/valves leaking slightly would die like you shut key off @ 6000 fixed valves back to 8800

Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #100
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mentioned in one of the posts recently it does rev up freely without load? You need to take this to a drag strip and get after it.

Also, i would verify your alternator is working properly along with a seperate ground wire from the alternator to the head. I know what your thinking, it's bolted to the block...
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote