HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
HR 9505

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Which type throttle stop would be the best?

I have 2 options that I'm tossing around to start running some Hot Rod races with.

1.) I'm currently running a Rons Toilet injection system in a 3500 car running 6.30's and 6.40's. I would have to run a inline linkage style stop with this setup

2.) I also have a gas carb that I would run the under-carb style stop with.

I have to buy a throttle either way and was wanting to know which one would be the best way to go and the most consistant?

Thanks,
Jason
HR 9505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
RacingRicki
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Which type throttle stop would be the best?

Gas carb and under the carb stop will be your best bet. I helped someone in the past try to run a linkage stop with injection and it didn't go well. I'm not saying it can't be done but you will be in for more trouble. I think the problem stemmed from the single large throttle plate. It had to be closed off so much to get the throttle stop rpm down that the engine rpm would not stay flat at that rpm.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,678 Times in 533 Posts

Jason, i would start with what you have on the car, the toilet, this would be an inexpensive start to the 90 class, an inline stop is cheaply priced. be sure to use a RIGID rod for the throttle, or something that will not flex! my Friend did pretty well with this setup, i don't think the toilet uses a squirt, so that is not an issue.
for a carb setup, i would only recommend a #1 stop baseplate. you could save some $ with the electric, but i like the air on-off to control possible spin with a high power car.
either way you choose, you will need to find that "sweet spot" in rpm while on the stop. usually around 3200-4200 rpm. good luck, and hope to see ya at some events....
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jason
I don't have any experience with under the carb throttle stops but I do have some experience with using an in line throttle stop with different ron's fuel injection systems (both toilets and terminators) The first problem is that you need a ridged pedal stop if the pedal moves it will not be consistent and second if you use a pinch valve to slow the opening rate don't slow it down to more than .6 seconds (stroke time) as it will not stroke consistently if you do.
One more thing if you get with in .01-.02 of the index then consider using a little ballast to fine tune that last .01 but pay attention to where you place the ballast as ballast on the front will have a different effect on et's and possibly reaction times than ballast located in the center or the rear.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
HR 9505

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Guys!!

Bill....what is a pinch valve......not fimiliar with that? Is that something that comes with the linkage stop?
HR 9505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 183 Times in 79 Posts

3 words for ya... BIONDO RACE PRODUCTS...
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR 9505 View Post
Thanks Guys!!

Bill....what is a pinch valve......not fimiliar with that? Is that something that comes with the linkage stop?
I may be miss naming it but it's a small needle valve used to restrict the flow and slow the stroke speed of the cylinder and the throttle opening rate. I believe technically it's a flow control valve.and some do come with one.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 05-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote