HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Edelbrock aluminm Mopar heads legal ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmracing View Post
Hi !
Read the story in the other thread " Edelbrock Heads Legal" on how this 452 aluminum heads became legal. I started this with Bruce at this years Winternationals and he was very surprised that nobody mentioned this to him about these heads, mostly surprised at Mopar Performance them self.
Bruce did a great job on this when I finally got Dale Aldo ( chief at Mopar) and Glendora dodge to send NHRA a head. I was having them contact Bruce and I talked to him in late April and he told me that they were going to make this legal and I wanted you to be the first to know, because you did a good job.
But I can tell you that Mopars reaction was that they did not care, I totally opened the door for them, but they acted like they didn't care.
We found the 3 heads that were on the market that time, and I called allot of Mopar dealer about this and to put in order for this heads, because Mopar doesn't make them if they did not have any on order ?? They did not make this head as an replacement head, that was the way I saw it and to talked to NHRA about it. That's why they are sold only complete with 2,14x1,81 valves and springs and retainers, Those are things we have to throw away to start over to make it a legal head for Super Stock. I have done a lot of R&D since this summer on these heads and now have them ready for SS 383 and 440 engines, together with the sheet metal intake for the Six pack we designed. But the next step now is to get Mopar make them BARE for us , so they can be sold cheaper and we don't have to pay for parts we cant use and with no valve job done for 2.14 and 1.81 valves.

Thanks Peter PPM Racing
Before anybody starts slamming Peter for his grammar and spelling let me just tell you that he is from Sweden. I tried to proof read as best I could above. Thanks for the info Peter. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
ppmracing

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock aluminm Mopar heads legal ??

Thank you Jim,,, i forgett to tell you all this,,,

Peter
ppmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Your English is better than anybody here's Swedish!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #34
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

I just spoke with NHRA and they will have the list updated in about 10 days, The Edelbrock as well as the 452A Mopar head will be able to cover all big block mopar from 1960 on up (Stock and Super Stock).

I have the port design done for both heads in Super Stock and i just finished the prep work for the Stock heads as well. I working on having a couple of sets in inventory ready to bolt on for the stockers by mid Feb, and the Super Stockers by mid April.

Erik Jones
Jones Engine Development
www.jonesenginedevelopment.com
Erik Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #35
Dan Walcott

Liked 92 Times in 26 Posts

I was under the impression that Edelbrock had a new part # 60917 as a replacement for the "915" iron head for stock. NHRA wanted a spark plug position as was originally on the iron head. Ron from Edelbrock said they were about 90 days out before production and has been accepted by NHRA. As of today NHRA has not written approval the 60917 as an accepted replacement for stock. Any information would be appreciated as I'm tired of fixing old "iron"
Dan Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #36
Erik Jones

NHRA told me that the head that Edelbrock sent them for the Big block mopar will be legal for all casting numbers for the B&RB engines from 1960 on up. The 452A mopar alum head will be legal as well in stock.
I am waiting on an email from Edelbrock as to when i will have the first sets in hand, i dont know for sure yet on the production date.

Erik Jones
Jones Engine Development
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #37
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jones View Post
I just spoke with NHRA and they will have the list updated in about 10 days, The Edelbrock as well as the 452A Mopar head will be able to cover all big block mopar from 1960 on up (Stock and Super Stock).

I have the port design done for both heads in Super Stock and i just finished the prep work for the Stock heads as well. I working on having a couple of sets in inventory ready to bolt on for the stockers by mid Feb, and the Super Stockers by mid April.

Erik Jones
Jones Engine Development
Not unless NHRA allows some piston changes!

'67 and below are closed chambered heads and piston design and cc's dictate the desired compression ratio. To say the least an opened chambered head (452) will lessen the compression ratio when bolted to a '65 383. The NHRA will have to allow both the "closed" and "open" chambered heads in either Stock or SS.

And what about my Max Wedge heads?

JimR
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,887 Times in 580 Posts

Jim: I believe all the Edel. Big Block heads I have seen are closed chamber
design.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
Erik Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Not unless NHRA allows some piston changes!

'67 and below are closed chambered heads and piston design and cc's dictate the desired compression ratio. To say the least an opened chambered head (452) will lessen the compression ratio when bolted to a '65 383. The NHRA will have to allow both the "closed" and "open" chambered heads in either Stock or SS.

And what about my Max Wedge heads?

JimR
Sorry for the "All Big Block" I cant say for sure what they will be doing about the Max Wedge yet.

As for the Chamber design, John is correct in that the ED heads and Mopar Heads are closed chamber. As long as you have the correct cc for Year and HP claimed thats all that matters. The design does not dictate the cc.

Hope this helps out!

Erik Jones
Jones Engine Development
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is great news.And good to know they will be legal in stock as well.