Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #41
63corvette

Liked 297 Times in 90 Posts
Default Re: Super class survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
where is this survey coming from have not seen it at this point

Ron Waters s/st 1346
Mine came from Glendora and Josh Peterson.
If you have a competition number and a registered email address with NHRA you should be getting the survey.
I received one for Super Gas and another for Super Comp even though I only competed in Super Gas last year but I have a competition number for both categories.

Terry, I am one of your Division 5 survey non respondents. I had mine filled out to give back then I spoke with a SS/T racer I was parked next to at Topeka and he convinced me I had voted wrong after I had it filled out so it is still in the race trailer.
I personally do not care which way it goes but someone who now can barely run a category index will be hurt if the indexes are lowered. That in turn could hurt participation which could hurt everyone involved.
I have not yet decided whether to respond to the NHRA survey for that reason.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #42
The LL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in all honesty i don't care what the final result is.....7.90, 8.50, 8.90. it's still drag racing and racers have had to adjust to rule changes since the '50's.

now if you are in the "let's get people in the stands" crowd (which i could care less), than obviously something needs to change. the super categories are the most loathed classes by not only fans, but racers in other classes as well.

that being said...NHRA do what you have to do. we'll adjust. just make sure the small budget guys are taken care of. if you bump the indexes up, these drivers should be allowed to race without spending extra $$.
The LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #43
JThomas

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Super what ? A dragster running 8.90 is anything but Super. Back in the 80's when these classes were started, an 8.90 dragster was a pretty quick car for the times. Now if you bracket race and dial 8.90, you probably have the slowest dragster at the race.

I blame NHRA for not keeping up and lowering the index a few tenths at a time but now we race off a 25 year old index slower than some SS cars dial.

I am not buying all the inflated claims of how many guys will quit if the index is lowered. I bet the few that can't run 7.90 will step up and add some race parts to their combo.

So if the majority still wants the 25 year old index, lets at least change the class name to something fitting. S/D = SLOW DRAGSTERS
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #44
hotrodgeno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it was 8.90 at 155
its 8.90 at 190 now.
hotrodgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #45
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
Super what ? A dragster running 8.90 is anything but Super. Back in the 80's when these classes were started, an 8.90 dragster was a pretty quick car for the times. Now if you bracket race and dial 8.90, you probably have the slowest dragster at the race.

I blame NHRA for not keeping up and lowering the index a few tenths at a time but now we race off a 25 year old index slower than some SS cars dial.

I am not buying all the inflated claims of how many guys will quit if the index is lowered. I bet the few that can't run 7.90 will step up and add some race parts to their combo.

So if the majority still wants the 25 year old index, lets at least change the class name to something fitting. S/D = SLOW DRAGSTERS

I agree 100% with this. If NHRA banned timers years ago there would not be any poll being taken or necessary. Big power engines and timers are why the classes are where they are at today. Even an 8.0 dragster is pretty slow in my area.....Almost all bracket dragsters are in the 7's......

My present car runs 7.80's and the engine is small compared to most...

I voted to speed the indexes up 1 second....I do think the idea of making the indexs 8.0 9.0 and 10.0 makes the most sense. Easy to see the breakout on the scoreboards for the 5 or 6 spectators that are in the stands...LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
TJschippling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to mention the increased costs of safety equipment that may be required for a 7.90 class. SFI-15 or 20 suits requiring recertification maybe down the road. I'm certain the true costs will be far greater than just a bigger bullet.
TJschippling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #47
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

If we're going to make the classes cutting edge again like they were 25+ years ago, then let's make them cutting edge. S/C - 6.90 Index, S/G - 7.90 Index, and S/St - 8.90 Index. All motors need to be fuel injected OHV with a maximum displacement of 5.0l (if we're doing cutting edge CID is out the window). Turbos permitted, no nitrous or superchargers. CV transmissions only. Hoodscoops NOT permitted except on dragsters. Dragsters permitted in S/C only. No roadsters (who do you know that drives a roadster today?) Bodies of cars currently in production ONLY (i.e no Chevy Cavaliers, '63 Corvettes, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Saturns, Hummers, Plymouths, Mercurys, etc.) 100 lb. weight break for domestic vehicles (I would expect the field would be dominated by Kias, Hyundais, Hondas, and Toyotas, so we need to give people some incentive to run a car manufactured by the big 3). Now we're talking cutting edge...

Cutting edge is for Pro classes. We're not pros, and we want to be able to compete with the stuff we currently have without having to single-handedly attempt to reinvigorate the economy. In case any of you have forgotten, unemployment is still hovering at around 10% nationwide, and except those of us that are independently wealthy (like myself), most would probably not welcome the need to sink more money into their racing operation to remain competitive, and/or keep their goal of moving up to S/C, S/G, or S/St within reason.

If YOU want to go faster, take YOUR car and YOUR money and move up to another class (there are plenty of options available to you), and stop trying to make wholesale changes to the existing classes to suit YOUR desires.

And yes, I think we should get rid of electronics so that we can stop handing our money over to Reher-Morrison and Huntsville Racing Engines. Removing electronics is NOT a step backwards..it's progress because it was a MISTAKE TO ALLOW THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! Admit the mistake and move on in life, rather than making us ALL throw good money after bad.

So much for telling myself that I wasn't going to get sucked into this conversation....
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #48
slow dragster

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post

I am not sure I like that idea........lol

Brian Shockley aka Slow Dragster
slow dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #49
Jay Cepelka

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Leave the index alone. If you put a cap on the MPH in each class there is no need for large engines. Just changing the index will not fix anything. Slower cars will have to backup a class and then they will be the fast car in the slower index.
Jay Cepelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #50
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cepelka View Post
Leave the index alone. If you put a cap on the MPH in each class there is no need for large engines. Just changing the index will not fix anything. Slower cars will have to backup a class and then they will be the fast car in the slower index.
OK, how would the "cap on the MPH" work?