Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Hemiparts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: N .C . Doctor bids a free Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Now that's promotion! Good job, DW!
I agree with Micheal thats the kind of exposure that this sport need to to thrive for years to come. You can watch it on TV every weekend, but untill you've felt it you can't describe it. My father has sticker that says " Inside this car is a bloodborne diease that has no cure it's called Drag Racing !!"
Hemiparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
R Brown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back in the 1980's ( I believe ) once a month our local track, Ohio Valley Raceway had a co-pilot night. If your car was a 7 second or slower you could have a co- pilot with you. Even though it's a 1/8th mile track it still created some very interesting results when the passenger got out of the car. ( oh the good ol' days )
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
Phil Veldheer Racing

Liked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Smile Re: N .C . Doctor bids a free Ride

For several years, my son-in-law gave ride-a-longs in my wheelstanding ex Super Stock black 87 442. It has the race seat with seat belts and would often give rides to someone who won a drawing with IHRA for the Northern Nationals at US 131. Then I did fund raisers for the local animal shelters ( I am a dog lover) and then the local boys and girls clubs. We raised A LOT of money for those groups.

One winner only spoke spanish and my son-in-law thought he knew a few of the words he was screaming. The last one got to the track, saw cars leaving with the wheels in the air and he didn't think his heart could take it, so he backed out at the last minute.

He was also a doctor!
Phil Veldheer Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Veldheer Racing View Post
For several years, my son-in-law gave ride-a-longs in my wheelstanding ex Super Stock black 87 442. It has the race seat with seat belts and would often give rides to someone who won a drawing with IHRA for the Northern Nationals at US 131. Then I did fund raisers for the local animal shelters ( I am a dog lover) and then the local boys and girls clubs. We raised A LOT of money for those groups.

One winner only spoke spanish and my son-in-law thought he knew a few of the words he was screaming. The last one got to the track, saw cars leaving with the wheels in the air and he didn't think his heart could take it, so he backed out at the last minute.

He was also a doctor!
That's why we got my 283 for the slower ride 1st ( low 12's) then see the reaction in the superstocker (low 10's). This should be a lot of fun. He may just want to ride the 1/8th (heh,heh , heh.)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
dannyw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heck, I'm probably more excited than the doctor is. I'm the one that gets the pleasure of wheeling the Super Stocker!

I too think this is great for our sport. We are glad and thankful to be a part of it.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #16
56sedandelivery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geerhead55 View Post
Many years ago,,,when Modified Eliminator was still around, I recall a Friday night up at Seattle International Raceway, as it was called then, when Tom Turner took a contest winner for a ride in his Corvette which was a 9.80 140 mph ride in F/G if I recall correctly. Anyhow,,the contest winner defers his ride to his son, whos' got to be somewhere around 8 to 10 years old. After a very stout burnout, a wheels up launch, and a 5 speed gear bangin' pass of 10.10 at 138, if I'm remembering it right, the kid bails out of the car back in the staging lanes crying his eyes out! We had a little chuckle over that one,,I never did ask Tom if there was a puddle in the other seat.
Yes,,,this was some kind of promotion,,,we thought it was pretty cool.
Danny Durham
I remember that also. The kids head/helmet were bouncing all over the place with lauch and gear changes. I also remember the announcer making the comment that Turner was'nt going to waste the pass, and take it a bit easier on his "passenger". Butch/56sedandelivery..
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LIke this?

rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #18
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

I remember that video of a 4 speed stocker,
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
dannyw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was an awesome deal. To start things off, I took him for a ride in my dad's Chevy II. I pretty much took him step by step and explained everything from the burnout on as it was happening. He is a good sized guy, weighing about 235 lbs. The Chevy II went an 8.08 at 83 mph with the both of us in tow. He loved it and said that was the fastest car (at that point) that he'd ever been in.

Second, Brian Moore had his Nova there and he thought it would be cool for he and I to race side by side (Dr. Cunningham riding with me) for the Doc to see what it is like for 2 cars to be going down the track at the same time. Brian's car is quick, even without nitrous, so this time we strapped him into the Super Stock car. Needless to say, this one wowed him one step further. When I let go of the trans brake, the wheels came up in the air and off we went. It ran 6.89 at 100 mph and Brian ran a couple of tenths faster or so. The hit of the trans brake realy had him impressed.

Third, Brian took him down in his Nova for a quarter mile lap in the nitrous. I do not remember the ET right off hand, but the Doc whistled thru the 1/4 mile speed traps at 133 MPH! He was shaking pretty good after that one and took a bit of a breather.

Next, we talked him into actually driving the Chevy II while I rode shotgun. We moved the high side chip down, and I worked the shifter. For a guy who has never even made a pass himself down the drag strip, he sailed into it when the tree fell. He drove to an 8.20 at 82 MPH. The Chevy II drives great, but for his first time ever, I was impressed.

Lastly, I chipped the Super Stocker up about 400 more RPM's and he rode along for one last lap. We hung the wheels in the air pretty good and I think we made a pretty good lastin impression on Dr. Cunningham. We ran 6.87 @ 101 mph on that lap with a 1.42 60 ft. Not to bad with a 235 lbs passenger.

I was proud to be a part of this deal and honored to take him down the track.