HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
stock corvette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Returning to Class Racing, I think?

While I have been bracket racing my '94 Corvette for some time now I have not class raced since NHRA dropped the Modified Division, so its been a few years! I have been looking into making my Corvette legal for the IHRA Stock classes. It looks like I would be running in the Stock Fuel Injection "E" Class. I'm basing this on hearing the "offical" HP rating for my LT1 motor is 275HP and the weight of my Corvette (without driver) is 3305 - resulting in a 12.01 HP/weight ratio. I know I will need to add weight to my Corvette as I have only a 4-point rollbar and will need to update it to a six-point with a driver's side bar.
The rules say I can move up or down a class by adding or subtracting weight but in my case it would take adding 270 lbs to move down to "F" or loosing only 15 lbs. to move up to "D" - am I understanding the IHRA Rules correctly? Is 275 HP the correct rating by IHRA for my 1994 LT1?
While most of the currect modifcations to my Corvette and its LT1 are within the rules of the stock class I am confident it will not be running at the times I am seeing being run by other stock cars in the D, E or F classes. Regardless of being competitive at this time I thought I would give class racing another try during the rest of this season and if I enjoy it work over the winter to become competitive in one of these stock classes.
Is there a link on the IHRA web site (or other web site) for obtaining what the rulebook refers to as, "Official IHRA Stock Car Classification Guide"? Will this guide also contain the various IHRA HP ratings for LT1 motors?
Thanks for any assistance or words of wisdom!
stock corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: Returning to Class Racing, I think?

If your Vette is really close to stock, you might want to look at the rules for IHRA Pure Stock.
You should be able to run the index in that class. The rules are more strict, but the indexes might be easier to obtain.

The link below is to the IHRA Competition page. Scroll down to the bottom to "Rulebook" and download.

Good luck on your project.

http://www.ihra.com/competition/index.php
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
countrypuppy4865

Liked 184 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Returning to Class Racing, I think?

The HP rating on the Corvette is currently the same as the camaro/firebird LT1, which is 325 HP. The car is a natural B/FI car. You do not use your weight to figure the weight break you use the factory shipping weight. The factory shipping weight is 3203/325HP = 9.85. This is your weight break as a '95 corvette. The '94 corvette is not in the classification guide. B/FIA index is 11.55.
countrypuppy4865 is online now   Reply With Quote