HOME FORUM RULES NITRO JOE'S WEIGHT BREAKS SPONSORS CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > NHRA/IHRA COMPETITION MEMBERS > NHRA/IHRA Stock, Super Stock, Comp

View Poll Results: CJ's and DP's In Stock Eliminator
The new CJ's and DP's should have there own Class within Stock Eliminator. 49 54.44%
The new CJ's and DP's should not be allowed to compete in Stock Eliminator. 26 28.89%
Do not change anything for the new CJ's and DP's. 15 16.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Chuck Norton

Default Re: CJ's and DP's In Stock Eliminator

I haven't been involved in Stock drag racing since the invention of the wheel but I have made a couple of laps over the years and, so far, my long-term memory hasn't been completely erased.

Personally, handled in the right way, I believe that the new cars do not have to be a bad thing for Stock and they are clearly a boon for NHRA. In the new world of competitive marketing and tight budgets, I don't begrudge NHRA the opportunity to score a batch of new trucks. That's smart business from a top-down perspective.

The first time this situation occurred (within my recollection) was in 1964 when Ford introduced the "liteweight" '64 Galaxy combination with the "T-bolt bubble" hood. The cars first appeared in the tech line at the Winternationals lettered with "A/SA" designations. By the time they got through tech, they were "B/FX" and they stayed in B/FX until Farmer instituted the AA/S and AA/SA classes. I believe that was considered an equitable way of doing business back in the day.

A similar strategy was followed by NHRA when the fuel injected GM cars threatened to tip the scales of the playing field back in about 1996. That response didn't appear until about 2000, not made nearly as decisively as in 1964. A number of previously popular combinations became obsolete during the delay.

In this instance, it appears that someone is concerned not just with putting newer model cars on the track in front of the public but in demonstrating an overwhelming dominance over the "nostalgic" muscle cars of the '60s and '70s that racers have developed into a thriving sub-culture. It's not enough for a 2010 Mustang and a 2009 Challenger to go after one another in a heavy-weight match. It's a more entertaining show business technique to bring them face-to-face after they've feasted on a herd of forty-year-old "has-beens" as a warm-up exercise.

If a showcase of new Fords and Dodges is a good thing, it could be achieved by re-instituting the legendary "FX" classes of the '60s and doing it within the framework of Stock Eliminator.

If complete elimination of the aggregate investment in older cars is the ultimate goal we will have little to say about it. This is a slightly kinder path toward eliminating unwanted older iron than was followed in 1972. Some of us remember that bloodbath.

c
Chuck Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Dan Wilson

A person who has one of these new DP and has never raced before cannot vote on this issue because you have to be a racer that is currently racing to vote here. This will affect the vote count. I joined this site to point this out.I do have one of these cars and am in the process of finishing it. As you can imagine I have a huge amount investied in this project as well as 99 other new car racers. All of us ordered thes cars before the HP rating were known. OCt 16 2008- oct 30 2008. They were and still are advertised by Mopar to run in Stock / Super/stock. If you want one the 2010 are available to the general public-you to buy right now.
Let this vote be a fair vote.
Dan Wilson
Dragpack 2009005
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Mark Yacavone
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark callanan View Post
Mark
Did you send that message to NHRA?
No, I didn't ,Mark. I'm in enough trouble now, apparently . Two teardowns in three months.
Believe me ,they have a special file for letters like that . Looks like this > O

They'll see it here, I'm sure.
602-769-0346... markyac@cox.net..https://www.facebook.com/bluestreakconverters
Two weeks..Not two years

Promoter, Southwest Drags S/SS Combo..Nov 22nd Wild Horse Raceway
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wilson View Post
A person who has one of these new DP and has never raced before cannot vote on this issue because you have to be a racer that is currently racing to vote here. This will affect the vote count. I joined this site to point this out.I do have one of these cars and am in the process of finishing it. As you can imagine I have a huge amount investied in this project as well as 99 other new car racers. All of us ordered thes cars before the HP rating were known. OCt 16 2008- oct 30 2008. They were and still are advertised by Mopar to run in Stock / Super/stock. If you want one the 2010 are available to the general public-you to buy right now.
Let this vote be a fair vote.
Dan Wilson
Dragpack 2009005
my feeling is that NHRA whored themselves (and took us with them) in making a deal with Ford/Mopar for the DPs and CJs.They will only back down and put these cars where they belong if enough sportsman racers vote with their feet or with their computers.
Mustangs with no vin #,body in white,Drag Packs with a caravan axle in place of a third member.Yeah Stock alright.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Dusty Lowell

Send a message via AIM to Dusty Lowell
Lightbulb Re: CJ's and DP's In Stock Eliminator

Some of you guys just dont get the point, There is nothing wrong with the new cars, they look great!! BUT the engine combo's that have been approved never have been offered in any Street Legal model.... Well the combo's that are running fast anyways!! Nobody would be bitching if people were running SRT8 Challengers and GT500 Mustangs. But why would you do that when their HP ratings are 500+ for the Mustangs and for the SRT8 Challenger it says Engine Specs Incomplete....What a Joke!! I know of a new Mustang from D1 that ran with a LEGIT factory motor in F/SA. Decided it wasnt competitive so it was swapped for a blown cobrajet piece. Going by the rule book the new cars seem to fit right in but in my opinion all of the old stuff we have worked so hard on, will be just a big pile of scrap metal in a few years.
#1773 STK F/SA
Dusty Lowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I have no problem whatsoever with the new cars competeing in Stock Eliminator as long as they are readily availible to the general public and are produced to be tagged and titled. These cars are not.
Ford and Chrysler should be racing the cars that they are selling to the general public and not "Special Run" cars. The DPs and CJs are no different then the 68 Hemi cars or T-Bolts (which don't belong in Stock either).
I guess "the spirit of the rules" went out the window with the closing of the 20th Century! Every man for himself!
Dusty, we "get" it! In more ways than one.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
James L Miller

I think fixing the HP ratings would bring these cars in line, and might bump them to SS as the weight/HP ratio would bump them out of Stock. The last time I looked at the Challenger classification guide, it didn't even list the production engines (3.5L V6, 5.7L and 6.1L production engines) or car weights. I bought an SE to drive at half the price of a DP Challenger and it runs.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
JOE FIANO STK1267

Cool Re: CJ's and DP's In Stock Eliminator

these cars are nothing more then the red headed step child "crate motors" i wish icould have a lift off hood or super charger!!!!!! just my opinion
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE FIANO STK1267 View Post
these cars are nothing more then the red headed step child "crate motors" i wish icould have a lift off hood or super charger!!!!!! just my opinion
Funny, every time I have to pop 16 dzuz fastners to take my hood off then have no place to put it, I think "Man I wish I could have hinges and a set of hood pins"......

Grass is always greener ?

But seriously this hood is a certified pain in the backside, cool, but a pain, Id take the extra 10-15lbs for steel......seriously.......
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote